Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gluing Wood

I have to glue a cracked wooden door on a bathroom cabinet. The wood is very
dry. Is it a good idea to slightly dampen the wood with water before applying
carpenter's wood glue (not Gorilla Snot.) When I've glued dry wood in the past,
it seems that the wood sucks the water out of the glue, keeping it from flowing
smoothly.

Pointers welcome.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mcp6453" wrote in message
I have to glue a cracked wooden door on a bathroom cabinet. The wood is
very
dry. Is it a good idea to slightly dampen the wood with water before
applying
carpenter's wood glue (not Gorilla Snot.) When I've glued dry wood in the
past,
it seems that the wood sucks the water out of the glue, keeping it from
flowing
smoothly.

Pointers welcome.

I've never wet the wood, but some people have done so. Too much water and
the glue will not absorb either. It should be wiped at best, not saturated.

I'd do it dry, saturate the crack or wipe both sides with wood glue, clamp
for at least a few hours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 1:31*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
I have to glue a cracked wooden door on a bathroom cabinet. The wood is very
dry. Is it a good idea to slightly dampen the wood with water before applying
carpenter's wood glue (not Gorilla Snot.) When I've glued dry wood in the past,
it seems that the wood sucks the water out of the glue, keeping it from flowing
smoothly.

Pointers welcome.

It will suck in the glue better, and im sure the instructions say dry.
Best is to clamp it together for a day
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 2:31*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
I have to glue a cracked wooden door on a bathroom cabinet. The wood is very
dry. Is it a good idea to slightly dampen the wood with water before applying
carpenter's wood glue (not Gorilla Snot.) When I've glued dry wood in the past,
it seems that the wood sucks the water out of the glue, keeping it from flowing
smoothly.

Pointers welcome.

RTFC (C = container)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 2:31*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
I have to glue a cracked wooden door on a bathroom cabinet. The wood is very
dry. Is it a good idea to slightly dampen the wood with water before applying
carpenter's wood glue (not Gorilla Snot.) When I've glued dry wood in the past,
it seems that the wood sucks the water out of the glue, keeping it from flowing
smoothly.

Pointers welcome.

BTW...my Elmer's Carpenters Glue says "Surfaces must be clean and dry".

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 15, 1:31*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
I have to glue a cracked wooden door on a bathroom cabinet. The wood is very
dry. Is it a good idea to slightly dampen the wood with water before applying
carpenter's wood glue (not Gorilla Snot.) When I've glued dry wood in the past,
it seems that the wood sucks the water out of the glue, keeping it from flowing
smoothly.

Pointers welcome.

Keep it dry, apply a slow cure 2 part epoxy and clamp overnight. Clean
excess glue completely after application because epoxies are very
permanent. In a bathroom environment you need a damp proof and very
strong adhesive...nothing beats epoxies for that. Ask any boat owner.
Elmers, Titebond and similar are OK for easy cleanup and average
service. These and others like cyanoacrylates are all useful in my
shop.

Joe

Update on gluing wood. WW[_2_] Woodworking 16 July 28th 09 04:58 AM
Gluing wood WW[_2_] Woodworking 18 July 19th 09 02:55 PM
Gluing Felt to Wood John B Woodworking 18 April 2nd 06 02:51 AM
Gluing Wood to Metal? [email protected] Woodturning 18 November 19th 05 03:30 PM
Gluing wood that stays outside meirman Home Repair 14 October 5th 04 12:03 AM