Posted to rec.woodworking
John B

Default Gluing Felt to Wood

I'm making a guitar stand and want to glue felt to the wood where the guitar
touches the stand. I tried rubber cement, but it made the felt funky. Any
suggestions?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gary

"John B" wrote

I'm making a guitar stand and want to glue felt to the wood where the
guitar
touches the stand. I tried rubber cement, but it made the felt funky. Any
suggestions?

I get my wife to help me out with her hot glue gun (that thing scares me!)
and have had consistently good results. My last project was a big rack for
my fishing rods and I used about 8 feet of 1/2" wide felt: She shot the glue
and I pressed down the felt.

Cheers!

Gary

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Hoying

You might try either double stick tape or a light coating of spray contact
adhesive.
Good luck,
Jack

"John B" wrote in message
I'm making a guitar stand and want to glue felt to the wood where the
guitar
touches the stand. I tried rubber cement, but it made the felt funky. Any
suggestions?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Sweet Sawdust

Go to the local craft shop and get a bottle of aleines(sp) tacky glue (looks
like white glue) it will hold felt to wood very well. I have used it on
several hundred items and have not had a failure yet. Also you might try 3m
spray adhesive it will work as long as you don't get it near turpentine.
"John B" wrote in message
I'm making a guitar stand and want to glue felt to the wood where the

guitar
touches the stand. I tried rubber cement, but it made the felt funky. Any
suggestions?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:52:21 -0600, "John B"
wrote:

I'm making a guitar stand and want to glue felt to the wood where the guitar
touches the stand. I tried rubber cement, but it made the felt funky. Any
suggestions?

White glue works fine as long as you spread it out really thin and
even.

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking
dan cordes

Hi John,

The best thing I have found is 3M's 77 spray adhesive. Works great!

Dan

wrote:

I'm making a guitar stand and want to glue felt to the wood where the
guitar
touches the stand. I tried rubber cement, but it made the felt funky. Any
suggestions?

White glue works fine as long as you spread it out really thin and
even.

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

John B wrote:
I'm making a guitar stand and want to glue felt to the wood where the

guitar
touches the stand.

snip

You want what is known in the trade as "mole skin".

Felt with adhesive applied and then the adhesive is covered with a peel
away paper covering.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

wrote:

I'm making a guitar stand and want to glue felt to the wood where the guitar
touches the stand. I tried rubber cement, but it made the felt funky. Any
suggestions?

Spray on glue. Or, you can use the same glue used to glue felt onto
pool tables.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused

John B wrote:
I'm making a guitar stand and want to glue felt to the wood where the guitar
touches the stand. I tried rubber cement, but it made the felt funky. Any
suggestions?

I just lined a drawer with felt last weekend. Used some Elmer's spray
adhesive. Forget the actual name but it WAS Elmer's and advertised that
it was good for fabrics, etc. and had high tack and low penetration into
fabric.

Cut and dry fit carefully before spraying and then use some blue tape to
mask the areas you don't want sprayed and go for it. Worked like a
charm for me. You sure don't need much of it to do the job.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

John B wrote:
I'm making a guitar stand and want to glue felt to the wood where the
guitar touches the stand. I tried rubber cement, but it made the felt
funky. Any suggestions?

As others suggested, spray adhesive. PVA (white) glue is good too but
don't put the felt on while it is wet else it can soak through the
felt...put a heavy coat on the wood, let it dry then iron on the felt
with an iron set to "hot".

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Jefferson

"John B" wrote in message
I'm making a guitar stand and want to glue felt to the wood where the
guitar
touches the stand. I tried rubber cement, but it made the felt funky. Any
suggestions?

I use white craft glue. Works great.

....Dan J

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim

John B wrote:
I'm making a guitar stand and want to glue felt to the wood where the guitar
touches the stand. I tried rubber cement, but it made the felt funky. Any
suggestions?

John you should try a glue used for almost 100 years in the shoe
industry! It is called "BARGE CEMENT". It is used to glue soles on to
shoes and liners inside leather shoes. It works on many different
materials and permanately bonds dissimilar items. A bit hard to find
but if you have an "oldtimer" shoe repair store they should carry it!
Without being too forward I also carry it on my website in a small 2
oz. tube, (I manufacture various handtools and accessories for
woodworking and old lathes and this glue is used to bond the ends of
the leather belts used to power these older machines so you know it has
to be good stuff!).
Tim Q
www.alisam.com
"A-LEE-SAM"

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Gary" wrote in message
.. .

I get my wife to help me out with her hot glue gun (that thing scares me!)
and have had consistently good results. My last project was a big rack for
my fishing rods and I used about 8 feet of 1/2" wide felt: She shot the

glue
and I pressed down the felt.

How about posting some pictures of your rod rack in the binaries group,
Gary. I'm still casually looking for a solution for storing about a dozen
rods on a wall in the space about 2 1/2 feet wide. I'd be interested to see
what you've put together.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Owen Lawrence

I'm making a guitar stand and want to glue felt to the wood where the
guitar
touches the stand. I tried rubber cement, but it made the felt funky. Any
suggestions?

I've always used white glue with no apparent problems.

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gooey TARBALLS

3M Spra-Ment Craft and Display Adhesive Low Mist Formula #6060

I got mine at a Home Depot

"Owen Lawrence" wrote in message
I'm making a guitar stand and want to glue felt to the wood where the
guitar
touches the stand. I tried rubber cement, but it made the felt funky. Any
suggestions?

I've always used white glue with no apparent problems.

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gary

"Mike Marlow" wrote

How about posting some pictures of your rod rack in the binaries group,
Gary. I'm still casually looking for a solution for storing about a dozen
rods on a wall in the space about 2 1/2 feet wide. I'd be interested to
see
what you've put together.

Mike,

I'm flattered, but it's nothing fancy.... Basic pine with half-lap joinery.
I had to go with mounting it on the roof because I have a lot of fly rods
and, with sticks ranging from 9 thru 14 feet, standing 'em up isn't an
option

When I build my "I Love Me" room, I'll construct some sort of a rack that
will hold the rods at an angle so they can be displayed on the wall.

Here's a link to some photos I posted:

http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/inde...howtopic=12362

Cheers!

Gary

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Gary" wrote in message
.. .

I'm flattered, but it's nothing fancy.... Basic pine with half-lap

joinery.
I had to go with mounting it on the roof because I have a lot of fly rods
and, with sticks ranging from 9 thru 14 feet, standing 'em up isn't an
option

That works. I've even thought of the exact same scheme for my garage, which
is where all of my rods hang right now. I was thinking of hinging one end
because the ceiling is high and I'd need a ladder every time I went to grab
a rod or put one away. Right now they are just hung on peg board by a
passage door and I kind of like them there, but they're not as well secured
on the pegs as I'd like them to be. I'm thinking of a half-round scheme
that might either allow me two rows of rods (one inside the other), or an
alternating upright/upside down configuration so that I could get more rods
into the same space without reels interfering with each other. I keep
thinking about buying a couple or a few of those rubber rod holds you can
buy at Wal Mart and securing them to what I construct, so that the rods are
really gripped nicely.

My fly rods are both 8 footers so they're not much of a length problem, and
my ultra light is a single piece 4 1/2 footer so it's about the same size.
The rest are mostly 6 foot two piece rods that I always breakdown and store
within themselves (in the eyelets with a piece of velcro around the butt),
and there's one 10 foot noodle rod that breaks down, but is still long when
broken down.

Maybe soon(?) I'll get around to knocking something together. I've been
promising myself to do this forever, so I guess I should get around to it.
If so, I'll post a picture in the binaries group.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gary

"Mike Marlow" wrote

Maybe soon(?) I'll get around to knocking something together. I've been
promising myself to do this forever, so I guess I should get around to it.
If so, I'll post a picture in the binaries group.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, Mike: Mine is only a
temporary solution (until I build my "I Love Me" room, at the latest (grin))
and I am already trying to dream up something that's just as functional as
this one but more decorative.

Interestingly, I didn't put a ton of thought into the number of holes, but
just spaced them far enough apart such that I *thought* there'd be room for
rods to be stored side-by-side with reels on 'em. 2 problems: I only
condsidered fly reels when I came up with the spacing (my spin rods don't
fit), and I mounted the rack at one end of the room so I can't set 'em up
there in an alternating (head/toe/head/toe) manner.

Another boo-boo: I guessed at the number of holes to drill and was quite
happy when I tossed my rods up there. Then, as I walked around the house and
started adding more rods in various stages of construction (I build my own
fly rods) as I found them tucked here 'n' there, I quickly ran out of
room... Oh MY! Not only do I need a bigger rack, but I may also have to seek
professional help for this apparent addiction....

As another temporary solution, I'm going to add another set of holders
(maybe 12" shorter) above the current ones. So, I'll go from this (end
view):

___________
______________________

to this:

(gee, I hope the news service keeps all those spaces in there!)

Cheers!

Gary

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim K

An easier option is to buy some of the self-adhesive felt. It's only
a couple bucks at the hardware store.