Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT HIghway Patrol cars

OT HIghway Patrol cars

This is especially directed at my fellow old codgers, but anyone can
join in.

I've been watching reruns of Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford
for the past few months.

I really like them. Some parts are more realistic than average, and
others are less realistic. For example, they're almost never in a
hurry, even when a baby can't breathe.

But one thing gets me. The police cars are all full-size (since
that's almost all that existed in the 50's. But they are all 2-door.

Did any police have 2-door cars?

When they arrest someone, they put him in the back seat, usually with
his hands cuffed behind him, but not always iirc. Sometimes maybe
they put him in the front seat. I forget.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:

OT HIghway Patrol cars

This is especially directed at my fellow old codgers, but anyone can
join in.

I've been watching reruns of Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford
for the past few months.

I really like them. Some parts are more realistic than average, and
others are less realistic. For example, they're almost never in a
hurry, even when a baby can't breathe.

But one thing gets me. The police cars are all full-size (since
that's almost all that existed in the 50's. But they are all 2-door.

Did any police have 2-door cars?

When they arrest someone, they put him in the back seat, usually with
his hands cuffed behind him, but not always iirc. Sometimes maybe
they put him in the front seat. I forget.

Couple of genuine 2-door cop cars on this page:

http://57rustbucket.com/copcars.html

Author opines that they were more common for highway patrol than for
other LEOs. I guess on the highway you either got a ticket and were let
go, or you were in an accident and they called the meat wagon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 5:31*am, mm wrote:
OT HIghway Patrol cars

This is especially directed at my fellow old codgers, but anyone can
join in.

I've been watching reruns of Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford
for the past few months.

I really like them. *Some parts are more realistic than average, and
others are less realistic. *For example, they're almost never in a
hurry, even when a baby can't breathe.

But one thing gets me. *The police cars are all full-size (since
that's almost all that existed in the 50's. But they are all 2-door.

Did any police have 2-door cars? * *

When they arrest someone, they put him in the back seat, usually with
his hands cuffed behind him, but not always iirc. *Sometimes maybe
they put him in the front seat. I forget.

IT'S AN OLD TV SHOW.....ANTIQUE, WITHOUT THE FUNNY SMELL
WHAT DO YOU EXPECT??? YOU'D GET MORE RESULTS ASKING MR. ED.
BOOWAHAHAHAHA.....OF COURSE .
TGITM
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message

But one thing gets me. The police cars are all full-size (since
that's almost all that existed in the 50's. But they are all 2-door.

Did any police have 2-door cars?

When they arrest someone, they put him in the back seat, usually with
his hands cuffed behind him, but not always iirc. Sometimes maybe
they put him in the front seat. I forget.

I recall two door police cars back then. When I lived in Philly years ago,
the called for the Paddy Wagon to take the prisoners.

I know that our grade school janitor bought an old Ford (maybe late 40's)
police car and it was two doors, maybe even a coupe. Hard to recall details
from 50+ years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/10/11 5:31 AM, mm wrote:
OT HIghway Patrol cars

This is especially directed at my fellow old codgers, but anyone can
join in.

I've been watching reruns of Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford
for the past few months.

I really like them. Some parts are more realistic than average, and
others are less realistic. For example, they're almost never in a
hurry, even when a baby can't breathe.

But one thing gets me. The police cars are all full-size (since
that's almost all that existed in the 50's. But they are all 2-door.

Did any police have 2-door cars?

When they arrest someone, they put him in the back seat, usually with
his hands cuffed behind him, but not always iirc. Sometimes maybe
they put him in the front seat. I forget.

I wonder how the practice of transporting prisoners in patrol cars
developed. Into the 1960s, Baltimore's Cruising Patrols were trucks. A
cop could sit in back to watch any prisoners, and the driver was
isolated from them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/10/11 5:31 AM, mm wrote:
OT HIghway Patrol cars

This is especially directed at my fellow old codgers, but anyone can
join in.

I've been watching reruns of Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford
for the past few months.

I've read that BC was such an alcoholic by the time HP came along that they
had to lean him against cars, trees and walls to keep him from falling down.
If you look for it, the "propping up" is pretty easy to spot. At least he
didn't go the bad SciFi movie route like Joan Crawford in Trog and so many
other A-list actors that fell on hard times. No one fell quite so hard as
Bela Lugosi into "Plan 9 from Outer Space."

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 2:39*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
On 5/10/11 5:31 AM, mm wrote:
OT HIghway Patrol cars

This is especially directed at my fellow old codgers, but anyone can
join in.

I've been watching reruns of Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford
for the past few months.

I've read that BC was such an alcoholic by the time HP came along that they
had to lean him against cars, trees and walls to keep him from falling down.
If you look for it, the "propping up" is pretty easy to spot. *At least he
didn't go the bad SciFi movie route like Joan Crawford in Trog and so many
other A-list actors that fell on hard times. *No one fell quite so hard as
Bela Lugosi into "Plan 9 from Outer Space."

--
Bobby G.

MAN, SOME OF YOU ARE OLDER THAN THE SWITCH ON THE SUN.
BOOWAHAHAHA

TGITM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-05-10, Robert Green wrote:

didn't go the bad SciFi movie route like Joan Crawford in Trog...

OMG, that was so painful!! Never much liked JC. Thought she was
kinda homely. Finally saw her in Mildred Pierce. WOW!! She deserved
that Oscar.

(anyone but me notice the mouth/lips of Jessica Rabbit are the
dead-nuts copy of a young Ann Blyth?)

other A-list actors that fell on hard times. No one fell quite so hard as
Bela Lugosi into "Plan 9 from Outer Space."

Yes, but he was immortalized in the movie Ed Wood by Martin Landau,
who deservedly won an academy award for his portrayal of Lugosi. You
can still see all those old Lugosi movies on 2fer/$5 bargain DVDs and
Netflix. The fact he became a caricature of himself is no one's
fault. As an actor, he was strictly vaudeville, a throwback to the
silent era, long dead.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 10 May 2011 08:58:52 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
mm wrote:

OT HIghway Patrol cars

This is especially directed at my fellow old codgers, but anyone can
join in.

I've been watching reruns of Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford
for the past few months.

I really like them. Some parts are more realistic than average, and
others are less realistic. For example, they're almost never in a
hurry, even when a baby can't breathe.

Paul, it's one thing to have unrealistic direction and a different
thing to have an unrealistic major prop, the cop car, so I decided to
ask on the home repair newsgroup, where it's off topic but the sort of
thing that interests a lot of the people here.

But one thing gets me. The police cars are all full-size (since
that's almost all that existed in the 50's. But they are all 2-door.

Did any police have 2-door cars?

When they arrest someone, they put him in the back seat, usually with
his hands cuffed behind him, but not always iirc. Sometimes maybe
they put him in the front seat. I forget.

Couple of genuine 2-door cop cars on this page:

http://57rustbucket.com/copcars.html

These are great pictures. A lot of two-door cars, more than half
maybe.

On the tv show, I don't remember the siren or lights on top. On the
show last night, they definitely weren't there, so I'll have to watch
more closely. I'm a little surprised they didn't put them in, just
for "excitement". Sirens were sometimes under the hood, but flashing
blue lights behind the grill I thought didn't exist until after the
time of this show. Of course I'd never been west of Indianapolis
when I was 10 years old. Or even 16. They have a black cop in Tampa
in 1958. That's pretty good.

One picture says that 2-way radios were rare at the time. In the late
50's? I didn't' think so. But one thing about the show is that in
many episodes they will not start the car until they've finished
talking on the radio, while the bad guys are getting away. They were
actually in sight, so 30 or 60 seconds on the radio is going to give
them a lot of time to hide. In a few episodes they will talk on the
radio while driving, but I think maybe they thought it was dangerous.

The l955 CHP Buick looks just like a common cop car on the tv show.

Author opines that they were more common for highway patrol than for

That works out fine since the name of the show was Highway Patrol.

The closest I came to seeing this sort of thing was when we moved to
suburban Indianapolis and the sheriff came to say hello. The
sheriffs's office was the only police in Washington Township outside
the city. He had a shotgun clipped to the dashboard.

When I lived until age 10 in a town of 58,000 in western Pa. I don't
remember ever seeing a cop. Although I know they existed. They gave
the mayor enough traffic tickets that his license was suspended, and
he rented a buggy -- from an Amish man I think -- and drove the buggy
to work every day until he got his license back.

other LEOs. I guess on the highway you either got a ticket and were let
go, or you were in an accident and they called the meat wagon.

That might be it, but because a show that dealt only with traffic
tickets wouldn't' be very interesting, they have a much higher rate of
serious criminals. Even among the violent criminals, the vast
majority, more than half of them wear suits and ties, and they usually
have a pretty girlfriend, some of whom are nastier than the men.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 10 May 2011 13:05:42 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message

But one thing gets me. The police cars are all full-size (since
that's almost all that existed in the 50's. But they are all 2-door.

Did any police have 2-door cars?

When they arrest someone, they put him in the back seat, usually with
his hands cuffed behind him, but not always iirc. Sometimes maybe
they put him in the front seat. I forget.

I recall two door police cars back then. When I lived in Philly years ago,
the called for the Paddy Wagon to take the prisoners.

I know that our grade school janitor bought an old Ford (maybe late 40's)
police car and it was two doors, maybe even a coupe. Hard to recall details
from 50+ years ago.

My mother bought a '58 Ford Fairlane 500 with what the salesman called
an Interceptor Engine, which he said was used on police cars. It
might have even said Interceptor right on the engine. It was a
demonstrator (do they still have those?) and had maybe 1 or 2000 miles
on it, and it was the end of the year, so she got a good price. It
makes sense that they would use a car with their biggest engine as a
demonstrator It did have a big v-8 and a 4-barrel carburetor and was
probably one of the fastest cars on the street then, though my mother
never tried to find out. She did like, however, that it had so much
pep.

Paul, .

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 10 May 2011 13:41:18 -0400, J Burns
wrote:

On 5/10/11 5:31 AM, mm wrote:
[...]

This show was maybe the first and only cop show set in rural areas
(not counting the Andy Griffith show, and I guess that was not rural
but small-town - they stayed mostly in Mayberry.) So it routinely
takes 20 minutes for another car to get to where they are**.

This same notion has led them to leave a dead body alone in a field
(or a wounded victim alone in his home iirc) while they go check out
any lead they have, even just the closest store or gas station. I
tend to think this is unrealistic, even then.

Do you folks think they would really leave a dead body alone? Was
chain of custody was no big deal then? That is, no defense attorney
would claim the body was tampered with while the police were gone?

Also, and probably most important, the show was only 30 minutes long
(the way I like them) and they only show transporting when it comes in
the middle of the show. When they catch the guy, the show usually
ends within 30 seconds. The shortness of the show must have many
consequences on the script, though I'll admit it doesn't seem to lead
to weird things on Sea Hunt or the Patty Duke show.

**They never say what state they are in and when they show a map,
often with 100 miles showing and many towns and/or cities, I've never
been able to identify the location. In addition, once they were only
10 miles from Mexico, but another time they were on the route from
Oregon to Chicago, and they've been other moderately identifiable
locations too, maybe even Indiana, but never east of the Appalachian
mountains, maybe not even east of the Mississippi, and never where
people had a Southern accent.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 10 May 2011 14:39:14 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

On 5/10/11 5:31 AM, mm wrote:
OT HIghway Patrol cars

This is especially directed at my fellow old codgers, but anyone can
join in.

I've been watching reruns of Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford
for the past few months.

I've read that BC was such an alcoholic by the time HP came along that they
had to lean him against cars, trees and walls to keep him from falling down.
If you look for it, the "propping up" is pretty easy to spot.

I don't know about that. I've been watching for months and rarely see
a new episode anymore. He may have drunk off the set, but everything
he does in the show seems appropriate to the setting. If there's a
scene where he's lying on the ground to avoid getting shot, there's
usually another scene just before that where he's walking in the
woods, on a hill, looking quite stable. And I'll bet both scenes are
shot in the same session.

There are 4 more shows this week. If I remember, I'll pay closer
attention to this.

At least he
didn't go the bad SciFi movie route like Joan Crawford in Trog and so many
other A-list actors that fell on hard times. No one fell quite so hard as
Bela Lugosi into "Plan 9 from Outer Space."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-05-10, mm wrote:

My mother bought a '58 Ford Fairlane 500 with what the salesman called
an Interceptor Engine, which he said was used on police cars. It
might have even said Interceptor right on the engine.

http://tinyurl.com/3oxsjwg

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 4:31*am, mm wrote:
OT HIghway Patrol cars

This is especially directed at my fellow old codgers, but anyone can
join in.

I've been watching reruns of Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford
for the past few months.

I really like them. *Some parts are more realistic than average, and
others are less realistic. *For example, they're almost never in a
hurry, even when a baby can't breathe.

But one thing gets me. *The police cars are all full-size (since
that's almost all that existed in the 50's. But they are all 2-door.

Did any police have 2-door cars? * *

When they arrest someone, they put him in the back seat, usually with
his hands cuffed behind him, but not always iirc. *Sometimes maybe
they put him in the front seat. I forget.

The only two-doors I have seen lately are the stealth Cameros that
some troopers were driving a few years ago.

A lot of the local sheriff departments are using two-door or extended
cab pickups in our area. You put a dark blue pickup with gray
insignia just about anywhere along side the road and most people don't
even see it until its too late. One law truck in our area is also a
Duramax.

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"mm" wrote in message

[...]

they have press cars. i have one, a 94 vette that was one of the press fleet
in 93 so one of the first off the line. they sell them about in mid-year
through the dealer chain. it was in a couple magazines of that year. my wife
used to write for Vette so we'd get a new vette on loan for a week or so for
'testing' so she could write an article on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:
OT HIghway Patrol cars

This is especially directed at my fellow old codgers, but anyone can
join in.

I've been watching reruns of Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford
for the past few months.

I really like them. Some parts are more realistic than average, and
others are less realistic. For example, they're almost never in a
hurry, even when a baby can't breathe.

But one thing gets me. The police cars are all full-size (since
that's almost all that existed in the 50's. But they are all 2-door.

Did any police have 2-door cars?

When they arrest someone, they put him in the back seat, usually with
his hands cuffed behind him, but not always iirc. Sometimes maybe
they put him in the front seat. I forget.

4 door cars are certainly more commonly spec'd by police departments, but
I have seen a few 2 door models used by various departments, years ago.

As for the full size cars, that can be somewhat misleading too. Did you know
for instance that a 1970s vintage Chevy Nova, then called a "compact"
was longer, wider, and heavier than a 1955 Chevy Bel Air?

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

"mm" wrote in message

[...]

Very nice.

These come from Detroit, so there woudln't be as many of those. The
demonstators like my mother got spent several months at the dealer,
being driven by customers with the salesman sitting next to them, or
maybe by customers alone, so each dealer, at least those who used
demonstrators (all of them?) needed one of each major model.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The first car I ever drove, was a 1970 Chevrolet Nova.
Interesting.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Larry W" wrote in message

As for the full size cars, that can be somewhat misleading
too. Did you know
for instance that a 1970s vintage Chevy Nova, then called a
"compact"
was longer, wider, and heavier than a 1955 Chevy Bel Air?

--
There is always an easy solution to every human
problem -- neat,

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.
lonestar. org

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 10 May 2011 14:26:28 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 10 May 2011 16:38:47 -0400, mm
wrote:

Do you folks think they would really leave a dead body alone? Was
chain of custody was no big deal then? That is, no defense attorney
would claim the body was tampered with while the police were gone?

I've never seen or witnessed a chain-of-evidence for a dead body. The
ME (medical examiner) comes and takes the body...

A federal prisoner dies in mid-flight, under escort the plane lands in
the nearest airport. FBI notified, body turned over. But it is smart
to get a signed "Receipt of Prisoner", claiming current custody.

But in neither of these cases was the body alone in a field, after the
cops got there and then left again, and before the coroner arrived,
right?

Besides legal issues, I sort of thought that no one would do this
because of respect for a dead body. OTOH, in a rural county wehre it
takes 20 or 30 minutes for the cororner to get there, even after he
starts the car, it would be a shame for the murderer to get away while
the only cop nearby keeps watch on the body.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 10 May 2011 13:49:37 -0700 (PDT), RonB
wrote:

On May 10, 4:31*am, mm wrote:
[...]

I'll bet not.

One law truck in our area is also a
Duramax.

That's not a battery?

RonB

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 2011-05-10, mm wrote:

My mother bought a '58 Ford Fairlane 500 with what the salesman called
an Interceptor Engine, which he said was used on police cars. It
might have even said Interceptor right on the engine.

http://tinyurl.com/3oxsjwg

nb

Thanks. I think we might have the bigger one, the 352ci with 300hp.
But my mother wasn't going to try for max speed and when I started
driving at 16, neither was I. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
OT HIghway Patrol cars

This is especially directed at my fellow old codgers, but anyone can
join in.

I've been watching reruns of Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford
for the past few months.

I really like them. Some parts are more realistic than average, and
others are less realistic. For example, they're almost never in a
hurry, even when a baby can't breathe.

But one thing gets me. The police cars are all full-size (since
that's almost all that existed in the 50's. But they are all 2-door.

Did any police have 2-door cars?

When they arrest someone, they put him in the back seat, usually with
his hands cuffed behind him, but not always iirc. Sometimes maybe
they put him in the front seat. I forget.

Experience teaches:
* With a handcuffed suspect and another officer, they both go in the back
seat, suspect on the passenger side.
* With a handcuffed suspect and a single officer, suspect goes in the front
seat, usually shackled to the floor.
* The ONLY time you get in a REALLY BIG HURRY is to protect or assist
another officer. This call is put out, depending on the jurisdiction, as
"Officer needs assistance," or something similar. In our department,
"Officer needs assistance" means a catastrophic situation has developed
in which the officer's life is in imminent danger.
If this call is accompanied by "shots fired," the situation is even MORE
severe.
Going on, if the call is accompanied by the phrase "officer down," cops
from surrounding couties will respond!
* Many calls will resolve themselves with time. One experienced officer told
me "You never run red lights and siren to an "assault" call. You want the
fighting to be over by the time you get there. Likewise most domestic
disputes."

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can easily imagine a hurry, for officer assistance calls.

In the case of assault calls, if a couple of youth are
beating an elderly victim, I'd want to be there fastly, and
step on it.

Domestics, I know enough about those type of situation, I'd
not want to rush in. There is a domestic abuse pattern that
is well known. Also, it is very possible for an officer to
rapidly turn into a victim, at domestic calls.

One email I read, years ago. Fellow in Alaska, who listened
to the scanner. If an officer doesn't reply to a second "you
OK, there?" call, he will legally arm himself, and go roll
past to be sure Officer is OK. Living in NYS, I'd never do
that. I support the troops as much as the next guy, but NYS
is a whole different culture.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/10/2011 1:05 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message

(snip)
I know that our grade school janitor bought an old Ford (maybe late 40's)
police car and it was two doors, maybe even a coupe. Hard to recall details
from 50+ years ago.

Don't sweat it, Ed- I'm not real sure what I had for lunch today.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On May 10, 4:31*am, mm wrote:
[...]

Diesel! vs Durcell :^)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On May 10, 4:31 am, wrote:
[...]

Several of the PDs around here love those 'subdued marking' cars. Gray
or black, with the sorta-retro-reflective dark side stripes and logos
that DO show up in headlights (like while they are barreling through an
intersection), but awful hard to see in daylight traffic.

Of course, around here, nobody but the cops and cab companies drive
Crown Vics (and yes, the cabs are old cop cars), so anytime you see
those distinctive headlights, time to slow down and drive like an old lady.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 10 May 2011 16:53:42 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

They never do that on Highway Patrol. Apparently even the murderers
were more compliant in those days.

* The ONLY time you get in a REALLY BIG HURRY is to protect or assist
another officer. This call is put out, depending on the jurisdiction, as
"Officer needs assistance," or something similar. In our department,
"Officer needs assistance" means a catastrophic situation has developed
in which the officer's life is in imminent danger.
If this call is accompanied by "shots fired," the situation is even MORE
severe.
Going on, if the call is accompanied by the phrase "officer down," cops
from surrounding couties will respond!
* Many calls will resolve themselves with time. One experienced officer told
me "You never run red lights and siren to an "assault" call. You want the
fighting to be over by the time you get there. Likewise most domestic
disputes."

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in :

OT HIghway Patrol cars

This is especially directed at my fellow old codgers, but anyone can
join in.

I've been watching reruns of Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford
for the past few months.

I really like them. Some parts are more realistic than average, and
others are less realistic. For example, they're almost never in a
hurry, even when a baby can't breathe.

But one thing gets me. The police cars are all full-size (since
that's almost all that existed in the 50's. But they are all 2-door.

Did any police have 2-door cars?

When they arrest someone, they put him in the back seat, usually with
his hands cuffed behind him, but not always iirc. Sometimes maybe
they put him in the front seat. I forget.

Don't be a Bozo and look for factual info from TV on such matters. Check
the bible. The three wise men are on the cover.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...0,140,209_.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

Oh Yeah? "In those days" they shot themselves down accordingly very
compliantly as well.
It is a bloody criminalistics show..they should take it off the air
permanently.
I REALLY MEAN IT TOO!

TGITM
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Back when I was in college there was a guy who told me about his
mother's Chrysler station wagon a 1968 I think that was special
ordered with a 426 Hemi V8, bucket seats, floor shifter for the
727 automatic and I'm not sure about the rear end ratio but the
fellow would take his mom's wagon to the drag strip on the week
ends and eat all the stock vehicles alive without breathing hard.
Don't you just love sleepers? ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 May 2011 05:31:21 -0400, mm wrote:

I've been watching reruns of Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford
for the past few months.

Where are you finding these reruns?? They don't seem to be on DVD or on
Directv.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 11 May 2011 09:57:57 -0700, Kuskokwim wrote:

On Tue, 10 May 2011 05:31:21 -0400, mm wrote:

I've been watching reruns of Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford
for the past few months.

Where are you finding these reruns?? They don't seem to be on DVD or on
Directv.

They are on This TV, which in Baltimore is OTA 45.2.
I'm positive that it's on in some other cities, but my browser has
figured out that I live in Baltimore and that's all it tells me about.
http://baltimore.thistv.com/ Oh, no wonder. Enntering www.thistv.com
redirects to http://baltimore.thistv.com/. Surely that's not true
everywher in the US. It's on in San Francisco and LA!

Clicking on http://www.thistv.com/schedule , the link for SF,
redirects to Baltimore, but clicking on the google cached version
doesn't!

But I still havent' found a list of cities or tv stations.

IT also has Seahunt, the Patty Duke Show and, which I never liked,
Mr. Ed. Starting about 5AM. At 4AM is the Outer Limits which I also
never liked. The rest of the day it has movies, what they call
movies with famous actors before they got famous. Some are very
good, some are actually famous themselves, many are 70's horror
movies, especially Saturday night, and the rest are okay.

For programs from the same period, there is also RTV, Retro TV, which
I could get from DC OTA on 7.3 for a couple years. Now ironically I
can get it through the digital to analog converter which is connected
to the VCR, which has a manual A/B switch connecting it to my central
distribution point. With an antenna that is just a 5 foot piece of
single strand wire lying on the floor of the second floor. But I
can't get it with the 3-year old digital-tuner Philips DVDR connected
to a pretty big antenna with an antennal amp in the attic. I have to
fix that. I have the wrong remote for the VCR and can only record at
the fastest, most tape-consuming rate. 2 hours on an 6 or 8 hour
cassette, so I haven't been recording the shows on 7.3.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've been watching reruns of Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford
for the past few months.

I would like to see those. IIRC, they were based in Nevada in the script.
One time, they had an episode in Goldfield, which isn't the end of the road,
but you can see it from there.

Now that decades have changed things, I'd like to see if I see any
recognizable landmarks. What is the name of the network?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've been watching reruns of Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford
for the past few months.

I'm waiting for the reruns of Amos and Andy. I watched them as a kid, and
they were just funny. Probably too funny by today's
standards................

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2011 14:49, Steve B wrote:
I've been watching reruns of Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford
for the past few months.

I would like to see those. IIRC, they were based in Nevada in the script.
One time, they had an episode in Goldfield, which isn't the end of the road,
but you can see it from there.

The show was written to take place in an unspecified western state, and
there were episodes that dealt with patrolling near the Mexican border.

Now that decades have changed things, I'd like to see if I see any
recognizable landmarks. What is the name of the network?

That's the fun part of watching the show now. Much of it was shot in
and near rural areas of Los Angeles, which aren't rural anymore. The
first season is available on Hulu. It airs at 2:00 am Pacific on This
TV (http://www.thistv.com), a digital subchannel in many cities that may
not appear on cable. See also http://highwaypatroltv.com for more
information.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2011 4:50 PM, Steve B wrote:
I've been watching reruns of Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford
for the past few months.

I'm waiting for the reruns of Amos and Andy. I watched them as a kid, and
they were just funny. Probably too funny by today's
standards................

Steve

The actors were brilliant performing in what amounted to morality plays.
The wonderful shows are not considered politically correct by guilt
ridden Caucasians apologists but the funny thing is the fact that my
darker cousins would probably love the shows if they were given a chance
to see them. It's like the same politically correct bunch won't
show the Speedy Gonzales cartoons because they believe it will offend
Hispanics. Funny thing about the cartoons, the Hispanics love them. I
found many of the Amos N Andy episodes at:

http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/

If anyone is interested? ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 11 May 2011 15:03:59 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 11 May 2011 14:49:26 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I've been watching reruns of Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford
for the past few months.

I would like to see those. IIRC, they were based in Nevada in the script.
One time, they had an episode in Goldfield, which isn't the end of the road,
but you can see it from there.

Now that decades have changed things, I'd like to see if I see any
recognizable landmarks. What is the name of the network?

Steve

Goldfield...what a hoot.

His link was: www.thistv.com

It took me to Las Vegas:

http://lasvegas.thistv.com/

This one took me to LasVegas too. Now if they would only give a list
of cities, we would be in good shape. Googling Thistv Baltimore Las
Vegas Los Angeles San Francisco might work.

It gave a Feb 7 article from business week

http://www.bizjournals.com/albuquerq...tv-monday.html

It says KOB is adding thistv but doesn't say where KOB is! Clicking
on More, it is Albuquerque, Santa Fe and central New Mexico but it has
no list of other thistv stations.

This is ridiculous!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Not quite at that level of speed, but for several years (until rust got
it) I had a 78 Ford Fairmont 'fleet special' wagon with a 302 in it.
Same Fox platform and underpinnings as a Mustang, so it was basically a
Mustang 5.0 station wagon. Embarrassed more than one person who assumed
it had the usual anemic straight-6 in it. One of the few cars I ever
owned that I still miss.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

You just reminded me of the scariest car I ever drove. My late brother
in law had a car belonging to his father which was a 302 Ford Maverick.
It wasn't tricked out or anything like that, it was a common basic
salesman car with a manual 3 speed on the column an no fancy suspension
or performance parts or tires. It was so overpowered that it would burn
the skinny little stock tires for a block and it handled like a brick
which made it terrifying to drive. It could swap ends if you gave it a
little too much gas, DANG, that was a fun car! ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

You shuda tried a V-8 Gremlin. I had a six-banger and it was unstable enough.
Driving the thing in snow resembled playing Carroms.