Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Broken drill bits embedded ...

dadiOH wrote:
Heat.

I once had to replace a 1/2" chain plate bolt that was through the
stem of my sailboat. Wouldn't budge no way, no how even with a
sledge. Heating it with a propane torch freed it up. Heat your
little suckers red hot and they'll come out even if you have to char
the hole they are in slightly.
Alternatively, you might try sticking the mallet in a freezer for a
while.

Ditto. If in doubt, burn it out.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

This may well be hopeless.

Years ago I built a woodworkers mallet from oak with some lead wool for mass.
Worked fine for years, cracked a glue joint some weeks ago.

So I'm gonna just drill some holes thru the head and insert a couple
screws/nuts to hold the head together better. Attempt a pilot hole
with a 1/16" bit going thru about 2" of oak, etc. Drill bit freezes,
slips in chuck, won't come out. I kinda doubt it's the lead wool thats
holding it.

Tried a second pilot hole with a 3/32" bit. Same thing.

I tried using pliers, vise, etc to extract frozen bits. Nothin' shakin'.
Eventually they break off.

I could jerry-rig something to drill around the embedded bits, but I'd
rather extract 'em.

Anybody know a good trick for such?

Thx,
Will

First, learn to drill. You can't just plunge through 2" of oak in one
big attack. You have to relieve the chips regularly.

I've never had a drill stuck so tight in wood that putting the drill
motor in reverse couldn't back it out. But if you do break it off, take
it to a machine shop and let them cut through the broken bit with a
carbide end mill.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you don't care too much what it looks like, it might just be
easiest to pound the bits in a ways with a punch and work around them
(being careful not to break any more).

Heating sounds like a good idea, but if they're broken flush or below,
that might be tough given the size.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Might be able to heat up the bits, with the tip of a
soldering iron. Black char is a lot less adhesive than wood.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote
in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

To add some clarity. When drilling deep holes, it's
necessary to keep the drill spinning, and pull the bit out,
frequently. In some cases, drilling as much as 1/4 inch of
new material requires that you pull the bit out, and get the
chips out of the "flutes" or grooves, in the bit.

I doubt many machine shops can end mill a 3/32 bit. Who
knows? Maybe.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Smitty Two"
wrote in message
news
First, learn to drill. You can't just plunge through 2" of
oak in one
big attack. You have to relieve the chips regularly.

I've never had a drill stuck so tight in wood that putting
the drill
motor in reverse couldn't back it out. But if you do break
it off, take
it to a machine shop and let them cut through the broken bit
with a
carbide end mill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 13:36:15 -0600, Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:
I could jerry-rig something to drill around the embedded bits, but I'd
rather extract 'em.

Anybody know a good trick for such?

Set fire to mallet, retrieve bits from resulting ashes?

Seriously, though... If they're broken flush with the mallet face, urgh.
You could chisel some wood out around them to expose enough end to get a
grip on, I suppose. Then heat them (as someone said), then tap the
exposed ends with a hammer a few times to try to loosen things up a bit
more, then get some pliers on the ends and try to twist them out.

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 5:24*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
To add some clarity. When drilling deep holes, it's
necessary to keep the drill spinning, and pull the bit out,
frequently. In some cases, drilling as much as 1/4 inch of
new material requires that you pull the bit out, and get the
chips out of the "flutes" or grooves, in the bit.

I doubt many machine shops can end mill a 3/32 bit. Who
knows? Maybe.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Smitty Two"
wrote in messagenews
First, learn to drill. You can't just plunge through 2" of
oak in one
big attack. You have to relieve the chips regularly.

I've never had a drill stuck so tight in wood that putting
the drill
motor in reverse couldn't back it out. But if you do break
it off, take
it to a machine shop and let them cut through the broken bit
with a
carbide end mill.

Smitty covered this...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 12:02:26 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

First, learn to drill.

Drill yo Mama. And Granma, too. :-)

You can't just plunge through 2" of oak in one
big attack. You have to relieve the chips regularly.

I did. As much as practical.

I've never had a drill stuck so tight in wood that putting the drill
motor in reverse couldn't back it out.

Drill press had no reverse.

But if you do break it off, take
it to a machine shop and let them cut through the broken bit with a
carbide end mill.

Turns out the damned thing is full of hardened epoxy. I didn't
realize it was that resistant to a small drill bit.

Will

drill bits Herb and Eneva Home Repair 14 February 22nd 08 01:09 PM
Bad Drill Bits!!! If you don't have a Darex Drill Doctor, read atyour own risk of failing to understand. spaco Metalworking 7 December 21st 07 12:57 AM
Underground, quarrying, mining, air-leg, jack-leg, hand-held rock drills, button bit, drag bits,drill rod, drill tube, drill bit, core bit, core barrel, diamonde core bit, DTH hammer, taper rod, integral drill rod, taper bit, rock drilling tools wangsbin Woodturning 0 September 1st 06 07:34 AM
Which Style Drill Bits to Buy? / Opinions on Craftsman Drill Bits? JWho Metalworking 18 November 20th 05 07:07 AM
Titanium Forstner drill bits doesn't drill Fred Woodworking 18 September 4th 05 09:45 PM