Posted to alt.home.repair

Default drill bits

I have serveral dull drill bits and can`t seem to get them sharp. Will
someone please tell me what is the best angle to start with when
sharpening a drill bit? Thanks a lot

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 3:09*pm, (Herb and Eneva) wrote:
* I have serveral dull drill bits and can`t seem to get them sharp. Will
someone please tell me what is the best angle to start with when
sharpening a drill bit? * * * * *Thanks a lot

See what Bill in Detroit said he
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...3dd74693eeb605
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RayV" wrote in message
On Feb 20, 3:09 pm, (Herb and Eneva) wrote:
I have serveral dull drill bits and can`t seem to get them sharp. Will
someone please tell me what is the best angle to start with when
sharpening a drill bit? Thanks a lot

See what Bill in Detroit said he
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...3dd74693eeb605

That's good stuff ... but it is difficult for most folks and becomes really
difficult for small drill bits. The "rolling motion" approaches an art
form, by the way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charles" wrote in message
. ..

"RayV" wrote in message
On Feb 20, 3:09 pm, (Herb and Eneva) wrote:
I have serveral dull drill bits and can`t seem to get them sharp. Will
someone please tell me what is the best angle to start with when
sharpening a drill bit? Thanks a lot

See what Bill in Detroit said he
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...3dd74693eeb605

That's good stuff ... but it is difficult for most folks and becomes
really difficult for small drill bits. The "rolling motion" approaches an
art form, by the way.

My dad was a machinist all his life. He could take a 1" x 2" stone, and
sharpen a drill in very short order. I can't do it yet with my Drill Doctor
750. I remember that twisting action he had. About five or six twisting
strokes, an eyeball, some more, another eyeball. Don't have a clue what he
was looking at. He musta been good at it, because he a lot of guys
commented on it. Never ever saw him used an electrical device, only a
stone.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Maintain a positive rake and symmetry. That is all that is needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Maintain a positive rake and symmetry. That is all that is needed.

It's easy after the first 2-3 hundred!

Retired Machinist..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 21, 3:19*am, "SteveB" meagain@rockvilleUSA wrote:
"Charles" wrote in message

. ..

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...rm/thread/b602...

That's good stuff ... but it is difficult for most folks and becomes
really difficult for small drill bits. *The "rolling motion" approaches an
art form, by the way.

My dad was a machinist all his life. *He could take a 1" x 2" stone, and
sharpen a drill in very short order. *I can't do it yet with my Drill Doctor
750. *I remember that twisting action he had. *About five or six twisting
strokes, an eyeball, some more, another eyeball. *Don't have a clue what he
was looking at. *He musta been good at it, because he a lot of guys
commented on it. *Never ever saw him used an electrical device, only a
stone.

Steve

So: Would you recommend the Drill Doctor? Or should I just go out and
buy more drill bits? Appreciate your advice.
Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

"Charles" wrote in message

"RayV" wrote in message
[...]

buy more drill bits? Appreciate your advice.- Hide quoted text -

drill doctor does a good job, it's pretty foolproof, and designed so
that it doesn't change the angles it puts in as it wears. the only
question re buying one is whether or not you need to sharpen enough
bits to make it worthwhile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charles" wrote in message

"RayV" wrote in message
[...]

I got my 750 at a trade show for $75. Don't know what the retail is for
them.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 20, 2:09*pm, (Herb and Eneva) wrote:
* I have serveral dull drill bits and can`t seem to get them sharp. Will
someone please tell me what is the best angle to start with when
sharpening a drill bit? * * * * *Thanks a lot

Have a good machinist show you how to sharpen bits by hand. It's hard
to explain, but easy to copy once you've seen it done. Any well
lighted tool grinder will work just fine for bits 1/8" and up. Smaller
dull ones go in the trash, so buy them in lots of a half dozen or so
from a supplier like ENCO. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 15:14:55 -0800, "SteveB" meagain@rockvilleUSA
wrote:

"Charles" wrote in message

"RayV" wrote in message
[...]

I caught a sale item--for $60 plus tax, I got 600 HSS twist drill
bits, half of them are center-point. Of course, Made in China. These
are 3/8" and smaller which I consider very disposable and should last
a long time since I'm not a very boring person.

Bad Drill Bits!!! If you don't have a Darex Drill Doctor, read atyour own risk of failing to understand. spaco Metalworking 7 December 21st 07 12:57 AM
Underground, quarrying, mining, air-leg, jack-leg, hand-held rock drills, button bit, drag bits,drill rod, drill tube, drill bit, core bit, core barrel, diamonde core bit, DTH hammer, taper rod, integral drill rod, taper bit, rock drilling tools wangsbin Woodturning 0 September 1st 06 07:34 AM
Drill bits Charlie S. Home Repair 9 March 16th 06 12:01 PM
Which Style Drill Bits to Buy? / Opinions on Craftsman Drill Bits? JWho Metalworking 18 November 20th 05 07:07 AM
Titanium Forstner drill bits doesn't drill Fred Woodworking 18 September 4th 05 09:45 PM