Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Broken drill bits embedded ...

In article ,
Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

This may well be hopeless.

Years ago I built a woodworkers mallet from oak with some lead wool for mass.
Worked fine for years, cracked a glue joint some weeks ago.

So I'm gonna just drill some holes thru the head and insert a couple
screws/nuts to hold the head together better. Attempt a pilot hole
with a 1/16" bit going thru about 2" of oak, etc. Drill bit freezes,
slips in chuck, won't come out. I kinda doubt it's the lead wool thats
holding it.

Tried a second pilot hole with a 3/32" bit. Same thing.

I tried using pliers, vise, etc to extract frozen bits. Nothin' shakin'.
Eventually they break off.

I could jerry-rig something to drill around the embedded bits, but I'd
rather extract 'em.

Anybody know a good trick for such?

Thx,
Will

First, learn to drill. You can't just plunge through 2" of oak in one
big attack. You have to relieve the chips regularly.

I've never had a drill stuck so tight in wood that putting the drill
motor in reverse couldn't back it out. But if you do break it off, take
it to a machine shop and let them cut through the broken bit with a
carbide end mill.