Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default clenaing pennies didn't work.

So I had some dirty pennies, plus one each of a nickel, dime, and
quarter, that were dark or had white or even blue stuff on them. Some
had been sitting in water somewhere maybe.

And following the dictum, google is your friend, I didn't ask here
what to do, but looked it up How to clean dirty pennies, dimes.

And it said use vinegar and salt, and I did, and the worst ones look
better now, but the rest of them look worse!! They all have white
"powder" stuck to them, and it doesn't come off. So I rinsed them in
water again (even though I'd rinsed them plenty after the vinegar.)

BTW, none of the pennies came out shiny, like the web pages said it
would

Is it because I didn't use white vinegar? I used cider vinegar.
Surely that's okay. Not enough salt.

What should I do now? Can I take them to the bank and then it will be
the bank's problem? What about the mint? Don't I owe society more
than that?

I'm going to buy some Cherry Zero Coke tomorrow. Will that help? Do
I have to omit the Cherry? (I remember that diet works as well as
with sugar)

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , mm wrote:

[...]

Post-1982 USA pennies and some 1982 ones are copper-clad zinc. Older
ones are solid copper alloy. The older ones can be cleaned with many
acids, but in my experience never come out shiny like brand new ones.
Instead, they come out copper-colored but dull.

As for copper clad zinc ones? Since I last tried this before 1982, I
don't know. But I imagine the cheaper composition does not do as well.
And if any copper clad zinc pennies have scratches through their copper
claddings into the zinc, then your cleaning agent will reach the zinc.
Most acids corrode zinc.
--
- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/27/2011 1:13 AM, Don Klipstein wrote:
In , mm wrote:

[...]

Not even that stuff in a shoe polish can, like they used to sell on the
TV for cleaning copper bottom pots? Commercial showed poking a tarnished
penny in the stuff halfway for a few seconds, pulling it out, and the
dipped half looking brand new.

And what is the name of that stuff? Gonna drive me crazy the remainder
of the night. That'll teach me to check usenet when I get up to pee and
take allergy pills.....:^/

--
aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2011 11:58 PM, mm wrote:
[...]

there's a website that showed you how to remove zinc from a copper
plated penny.

end result, all the zinc was gone and you got a very thin piece of
copper penny left over.

don't remember which acid they used.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 12:58*am, mm wrote:
[...]

When I worked as an indoor mall security guard we used to catch people
like you all the time jumping in the wishing well wasted picking up
change.

Once a coin is touched it is not worth much of collecting value. The
oil on fingers begins the decomposition process.
If you just want to wash the **** off them put them in a sock tie the
end off the sock and throw it in the washing machine..
Other than that if you melt it down it may be worth more. From what I
understand the losers in the government spend more money making a
penny than they are worth
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 5:58*am, mm wrote:
[...]

Coca cola works. However it's not the treal thing which no longer has
cocaine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 6:51*am, harry wrote:

[...]

You cannot use the special sauce from Big Macs either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wot? Blimey, daft, man. Nicked ye a pound fer the pot of
Tarn-X to polish up a penny at your flat, by the light of a
torch?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Me" wrote in message
eb.com...
Penny wise and a pound foolish.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tooth Sucking Idiot wrote in news:ce5d0b09-e3a6-4297-
:

On Feb 27, 12:58*am, mm wrote:
[...]

False. You imply all this is BS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coin_grading

The oil on fingers begins the decomposition process.
If you just want to wash the **** off them put them in a sock tie the
end off the sock and throw it in the washing machine..
Other than that if you melt it down it may be worth more. From what I
understand the losers in the government spend more money making a
penny than they are worth

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/27/2011 5:57 AM, Tooth Sucking Idiot wrote:
On Feb 27, 6:51 am, wrote:
On Feb 27, 5:58 am, wrote:

[...]

what sauce?

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 6:51 am, wrote:
On Feb 27, 5:58 am, wrote:

[...]

Ignore Harry. I think he is Rod Speed's brother, separated at birth.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 26, 11:58*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

Cider vinegar doesn't work well for cleaning purposes. Only white
vinegar should be used.

-C-
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 9:48*am, Country wrote:
On Feb 26, 11:58*pm, mm wrote:

[...]

-C-- Hide quoted text -

tke bad looking pennies to bank to trade in for better ones, cost
free....

ultimately its really not worth the effort unless they are
collectible...

in that case you may need special procedure to clean but dont damage
them......

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Feb 27, 6:51 am, wrote:
On Feb 27, 5:58 am, wrote:

[...]

One or two webpages suggested ketchup, which they said was made of
vinegar, salt, and tomatoes. But I figured I wouldn't be able to
see what was happening.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 6:51 am, wrote:
On Feb 27, 5:58 am, wrote:

[...]

I am on the white vinegar only side. Always use it for
cleaning....and getting the soap out of clothes instead of rinse aid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 12:58*am, mm wrote:
[...]

Dont know why you want to clean them but Brasso works well. Sounds
like the pennies may already have the copper removed down to the
zinc. I save up all my coins in a jar and take them to the bank once
a year. They sort count them with a machine and give me cash or credit
may account. Usually a couple of $100 wife and I can enjoy.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 11:22:52 -0800 (PST), Dottie
wrote:

Coca cola works. However it's not the treal thing which no longer has
cocaine.

You cannot use the special sauce from Big Macs either.
what sauce?

Ignore Harry. I think he is Rod Speed's brother, separated at birth.

One or two webpages suggested ketchup, which they said was made of
vinegar, salt, and tomatoes. * *But I figured I wouldn't be able to
see what was happening. *

I am on the white vinegar only side. Always use it for
cleaning....and getting the soap out of clothes instead of rinse aid.

Thanks. That might be it. I don't really cook, if it requires more
thnan 3 ingredients, so I was so happy to be finished with my other 2
bottles of vinegear, but I'll buy some white vinegar next time I 'm at
the store.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 10:59:16 -0500, mm
wrote:

One or two webpages suggested ketchup, which they said was made of
vinegar, salt, and tomatoes. But I figured I wouldn't be able to
see what was happening.

Soak a penny covered in ketchup for an hour and see if it cleans it.

I have a military 1970's era flashlight with copper inside and a brass
switch. After all these years, there is only one small corrosion on
the end cap spring I need to clean. I will either use ketchup, or a
paste of vinegar, salt and flour.

This may interest you:

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/metals/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 02:08:03 -0600, dilbert firestorm
wrote:

there's a website that showed you how to remove zinc from a copper
plated penny.

end result, all the zinc was gone and you got a very thin piece of
copper penny left over.

don't remember which acid they used.

It might have been an episode of Modern Marvels: Acid.

IIRC they demonstrated this and mentioned just how thin the cooper was
over the zinc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
there's a website that showed you how to remove zinc from a copper
plated penny.

end result, all the zinc was gone and you got a very thin piece of
copper penny left over.

don't remember which acid they used.

It might have been an episode of Modern Marvels: *Acid.

IIRC they demonstrated this and mentioned just how thin the cooper was
over the zinc.

Spend a night at the Waldorf Astoria. One of the services they offer
there is to clean and polish your coins. Paper money is cleaned and
pressed. All included in the cost of the room.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

there's a website that showed you how to remove zinc from a copper
plated penny.

end result, all the zinc was gone and you got a very thin piece of
copper penny left over.

don't remember which acid they used.

It might have been an episode of Modern Marvels: Acid.

IIRC they demonstrated this and mentioned just how thin the cooper was
over the zinc.

I didn't see that one. must've missed that episode.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
there's a website that showed you how to remove zinc from a copper
plated penny.

end result, all the zinc was gone and you got a very thin piece of
copper penny left over.

don't remember which acid they used.

It might have been an episode of Modern Marvels: Acid.

IIRC they demonstrated this and mentioned just how thin the cooper was
over the zinc.

Spend a night at the Waldorf Astoria. One of the services they offer
there is to clean and polish your coins. Paper money is cleaned and
pressed. All included in the cost of the room.

Jimmie

geez, what a wasteful extravagance. I'm totally agog!

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
there's a website that showed you how to remove zinc from a copper
plated penny.

end result, all the zinc was gone and you got a very thin piece of
copper penny left over.

don't remember which acid they used.

It might have been an episode of Modern Marvels: Acid.

IIRC they demonstrated this and mentioned just how thin the cooper was
over the zinc.

Spend a night at the Waldorf Astoria. One of the services they offer
there is to clean and polish your coins. Paper money is cleaned and
pressed. All included in the cost of the room.

Jimmie

They have a valet butt-wiping service, as well? I do believe you, but
man- if the rich folk wonder why they unwashed masses wanna string them
up- dirty money spends just as well as the fresh stuff....

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

In , dilbert firestorm
wrote:

SNIP

Thanks.

there's a website that showed you how to remove zinc from a copper
plated penny.

end result, all the zinc was gone and you got a very thin piece of
copper penny left over.

don't remember which acid they used.

To the extent this is actually going to work, any strong non-oxidizing
acid should work. Hydrochloric will work, including the stuff sold as
"muriatic acid". So will sulfuric, pereferably 25-75%.

(Sulfuric acid stronger than 75% has extra dangers, and pure sulfuric
sometimes refuses to do anything until some water mixes into it.
CAUTION - add acid to water while stirring gently enough to avoid
splashing, don't add water to sulfuric acid, especially over 75% - the
water may boil, causing the acid to splash. Safety goggles or a face mask
are recommended when diluting strong or pure sulfuric acid in case
splashing occurs anyway.)

("Battery acid" is sulfuric, diluted to less than 75%.)
--
- Don Klipstein )

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
there's a website that showed you how to remove zinc from a copper
plated penny.

end result, all the zinc was gone and you got a very thin piece of
copper penny left over.

don't remember which acid they used.

It might have been an episode of Modern Marvels: *Acid.

IIRC they demonstrated this and mentioned just how thin the cooper was
over the zinc.

Spend a night at the Waldorf Astoria. One of the services they offer
there is to clean and polish your coins. Paper money is cleaned and
pressed. All included in the cost of the room.

Jimmie

But do they have good Caesar salad?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I thought a cooper is a man who makes wooden barrels? Must
be pretty thin, to wrap around zinc pennies. Sometimes a
typo is funny.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dilbert firestorm" wrote in
message
On 2/27/2011 3:14 PM, Oren wrote:

IIRC they demonstrated this and mentioned just how thin
the cooper was
over the zinc.

I didn't see that one. must've missed that episode.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Coca cola works. However it's not the treal thing which no longer has
cocaine.

You cannot use the special sauce from Big Macs either.
what sauce?

Ignore Harry. I think he is Rod Speed's brother, separated at birth.

One or two webpages suggested ketchup, which they said was made of
vinegar, salt, and tomatoes. * *But I figured I wouldn't be able to
see what was happening. *

I am on the white vinegar only side. Always use it for
cleaning....and getting the soap out of clothes instead of rinse aid.

Thanks. That might be it. I don't really cook, if it requires more
thnan 3 ingredients, so I was so happy to be finished with my other 2
bottles of vinegear, but I'll buy some white vinegar next time I 'm at
the store.

Well, I got the white vinegar and did it again for about 2 hours, with
quite a bit of salt, rinsed, and after the coins dried today, they had
some white stuff but not nearly as much, and half the coins had none,
though no coins were shiny. They are spendable now, and probably
change-machine-depositable. (The change machine now says that if you
put in slugs, foreign coins, and I forget how they said it but I think
they included really dirty coins, they won't be creditted or returned!
I think I lost one cent last time, and I'm not going to do that
again!!!!!, No way, no how.)

Darn I was in the store and forgot to buy sodie pop, which I only
drink once in a while.

So even though the coins are decent now, I'll get back to you again.

BTW, I'm sure 99% of these are later than the all copper coins, but at
the same time, there are no scratches where the zinc shows through.
I've never seen a penny like that, have you all? (I've seen the zinc
edges, but that's not because of scratches.)
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:
there's a website that showed you how to remove zinc from a copper
plated penny.

end result, all the zinc was gone and you got a very thin piece of
copper penny left over.

don't remember which acid they used.

It might have been an episode of Modern Marvels: *Acid.

IIRC they demonstrated this and mentioned just how thin the cooper was
over the zinc.

Spend a night at the Waldorf Astoria. One of the services they offer
there is to clean and polish your coins. Paper money is cleaned and
pressed. All included in the cost of the room.

Jimmie

But do they have good Caesar salad?

Does anyone have good Caesar salad? They are so worried about a few
people dying of salmonella that the rest of us have to suffer.

Can't they irradiate the eggs with PL238 or U235 or Radium or X-rays
or ultrasouund or something and still have raw eggs that taste right
but won't kill anyone?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 04:26:56 +0000 (UTC), (Don
Klipstein) wrote:

In , dilbert firestorm
wrote:

[...]

The point of adding salt to the vinegar is to make, one page said, a
weak solution of hydrochloric acid. NaCl + CH3COOH, which I guess
maybe gives in part HCl and NaCH2COOH.

FWIW, vinegar is only 5 to 8% acetic acid, but salt is or is near 100%
NaCL.

They spent an hour on stuff related to this both in high school and
again in college, but not exactly this and its faded anyhow. By this
I mean what reaction supercedes what other possible reaction.

My problem also probably has to do with whatever was staining the
coins in the first place, or whatever were the other substances in the
white and blue stains. If one is just making shiny coins that have
circulated and picked up fingerprint oil, that probably goes better
with vinegar and salt. Of course I have pennies like that too, and I
could try that. Since I never did it when I was 10, maybe I will now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:

[...]

Dunno about the other coins, but Copper Brite will shine up your pennies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in
news
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 04:26:56 +0000 (UTC), (Don
Klipstein) wrote:

In , dilbert firestorm
wrote:

[...]

NaCH2COOH

That's the sound I make when I sneeze!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 11:19*am, mm wrote:
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 04:26:56 +0000 (UTC), (Don

Klipstein) wrote:
In , dilbert firestorm
wrote:

[...]

Electro-cleaning is a way of cleaning dirty metals my placing them in
an electrolytic bath and passing current through them. Google if you
want to know more. Small non aluminum metal objects like coins can be
cleaned by placing them in an aluminum container with vinegar for an
electrolyte. No outside current source is needed as this arrangement
forms it's own battery.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 11:08:30 -0500, mm
wrote:

Can't they irradiate the eggs with PL238 or U235 or Radium or X-rays
or ultrasouund or something and still have raw eggs that taste right
but won't kill anyone?

Yes. Our grocery store sells eggs that are safe for raw use. We use
them for Caesar salad. Somehow, they pasteurize them without cooking
them. What this has to do with "clenaing" pennies I will never know.
I must have come in late :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
there's a website that showed you how to remove zinc from a copper
plated penny.

end result, all the zinc was gone and you got a very thin piece of
copper penny left over.

don't remember which acid they used.

It might have been an episode of Modern Marvels: Acid.

IIRC they demonstrated this and mentioned just how thin the cooper was
over the zinc.

Spend a night at the Waldorf Astoria. One of the services they offer
there is to clean and polish your coins. Paper money is cleaned and
pressed. All included in the cost of the room.

Jimmie

The Mark Hopkins hotel in San Francisco used to do a similar thing,
except they washed ALL the coins they expected to give out as change for
the next day. Theoretically, you could buy a candy bar at a concession
stand there and expect shiny coins in return. Kind of put a smile on
your face for the rest of the day.

There was a photo of the coin washing machine in the SF paper once. It
was a horizontal, stainless steel screen cylinder about 1' in diameter
by 2' long that rotated slowly in a tub of soapy water. The cylinder was
half-filled with coins and lots of lead shot. In effect, an extremely
low velocity shot blasting machine.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 10:11:12 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE
wrote:

On Feb 28, 11:19*am, mm wrote:
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 04:26:56 +0000 (UTC), (Don

Klipstein) wrote:
In , dilbert firestorm
wrote:

[...]

Well, I'm getting tired of this project. I tried the Cherry Zero Coke
and it didn't do anything afaict. I poured the liquid into a a
flashlight that had leaked batteries. But that probably won't work
and I'll try the vinegar and salt there. (The thing doesn't
disassemble and the spring is held under the long metal rectangle that
also goes up the side of the flashlight.)

So if I'm using vinegar again anyhow, maybe I'll try it with the
pennies in an aluminum container. I'm sure I have several ones in my
scrap.

Or maybe it's mercury that makes pennies shiny. I have some of that
too, but I guess it would be rude to do that and then spend the money.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 08:30:29 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
mm wrote:

[...]

Hmm. I might have that or something simliar under the sink. I have
Brasso and a couple other things.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buy a rock polisher (tumbler) at the toy store.

Or perhaps a brass polisher (Bullet shell casing polisher)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 1, 1:44*am, mm wrote:
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 08:30:29 -0800, Smitty Two

wrote:
In article ,
mm wrote:

[...]

IF the Cu is gone you just cant shine zinc

Pennies Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 11 September 28th 09 09:27 PM
Pennies in the Fuse Box yeeha Home Repair 28 August 28th 06 06:41 AM
A few pennies here and there... Martin Angove UK diy 32 March 18th 06 02:09 PM
Cleaning pennies for treasure chest Blue Home Repair 40 July 2nd 05 08:41 AM