Posted to alt.home.repair

Default stripping zinc with vinegar

someone told me that I can strip zinc in a plastic tub filled with vinegar?

I know vinegar has lots of uses, but is this so?

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 21:01:04 -0600, dilbert firestorm
wrote:

someone told me that I can strip zinc in a plastic tub filled with vinegar?

I know vinegar has lots of uses, but is this so?

Try it with a penny?

Copper coated zinc? Copper left over?

I'm confused......
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

someone told me that I can strip zinc in a plastic tub filled with vinegar?

I know vinegar has lots of uses, but is this so?

Try it with a penny?

Copper coated zinc? Copper left over?

I'm confused......

looks like I left out something in my post. grrr, hate that when that
happens.

Its for a steel plate that is zinc plated or any steel that has been
galvanized.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/2011 7:57 PM dilbert firestorm spake thus:

wrote:

someone told me that I can strip zinc in a plastic tub filled
with vinegar?

I know vinegar has lots of uses, but is this so?

Try it with a penny?

Copper coated zinc? Copper left over?

I'm confused......

looks like I left out something in my post. grrr, hate that when that
happens.

Its for a steel plate that is zinc plated or any steel that has been
galvanized.

Vinegar will etch the galvanized coating, but I seriously doubt it'll
"strip" it. Not strong enough. (Well, maybe if you leave it in for like
two weeks or something.)

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

someone told me that I can strip zinc in a plastic tub filled
with vinegar?

I know vinegar has lots of uses, but is this so?

Try it with a penny?

Copper coated zinc? Copper left over?

I'm confused......

looks like I left out something in my post. grrr, hate that when that
happens.

Its for a steel plate that is zinc plated or any steel that has been
galvanized.

Vinegar will etch the galvanized coating, but I seriously doubt it'll
"strip" it. Not strong enough. (Well, maybe if you leave it in for like
two weeks or something.)

vinegar really works!
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbt...2372972/1.html

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

dilbert firestorm wrote:
someone told me that I can strip zinc in a plastic tub filled with
vinegar?
I know vinegar has lots of uses, but is this so?

Dunno about vinegar, but good old muriatic acid takes it off pretty quickly.
You do need safety gear for this, though.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dilbert firestorm" wrote in message
someone told me that I can strip zinc in a plastic tub filled with
vinegar?

I know vinegar has lots of uses, but is this so?

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Why do you want to strip it?

If it is just so paint will stick and not peel, a full cycle through the
dishwasher or soaking in a pan with hot water and dish machine soap will do
the job.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/25/2011 7:20 PM, Colbyt wrote:
"dilbert wrote in message
someone told me that I can strip zinc in a plastic tub filled with
vinegar?

I know vinegar has lots of uses, but is this so?

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Why do you want to strip it?

If it is just so paint will stick and not peel, a full cycle through the
dishwasher or soaking in a pan with hot water and dish machine soap will do
the job.

Colbyt

what does the dishwashing process do to it?

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 22:05:17 -0600, dilbert firestorm
wrote:

Why do you want to strip it?

If it is just so paint will stick and not peel, a full cycle through the
dishwasher or soaking in a pan with hot water and dish machine soap will do
the job.

Colbyt

what does the dishwashing process do to it?

I'm not sure, but I understand the galv. finish is kind of oily. Clean
it to paint it?

Hey! Try TSP with phosphate, (not the green box) like in a "dish
machine". Makes sense for just painting the material.

What exactly are you trying to do?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/25/2011 12:23 AM dilbert firestorm spake thus:

wrote:

someone told me that I can strip zinc in a plastic tub filled
with vinegar?

I know vinegar has lots of uses, but is this so?

Try it with a penny?

Copper coated zinc? Copper left over?

I'm confused......

looks like I left out something in my post. grrr, hate that when
that happens.

Its for a steel plate that is zinc plated or any steel that has
been galvanized.

Vinegar will etch the galvanized coating, but I seriously doubt
it'll "strip" it. Not strong enough. (Well, maybe if you leave it
in for like two weeks or something.)

vinegar really works!
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbt...2372972/1.html

OK, I stand (well, sit) corrected.

I know vinegar is really good at cleaning metal. When I work on old
things (e.g., cameras) with schmutzed or hazed brass or chrome parts, I
throw them (the parts, not the camera) into a vinegar bath. Brightens
'em right up.

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Why do you want to strip it?

If it is just so paint will stick and not peel, a full cycle through the
dishwasher or soaking in a pan with hot water and dish machine soap will do
the job.

Colbyt

what does the dishwashing process do to it?

I'm not sure, but I understand the galv. finish is kind of oily. Clean
it to paint it?

Hey! Try TSP with phosphate, (not the green box) like in a "dish
machine". Makes sense for just painting the material.

What exactly are you trying to do?

I was intending to spray paint it black. I was advised not to spray
paint it until the zinc was removed in the "painting metal braces" thread.

the responses to removing zinc ranged from using muriatic acid to
scruffing/scraping it along with dishwashing it somwhere in the mix.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dilbert wrote in message
someone told me that I can strip zinc in a plastic tub filled with
vinegar?

I know vinegar has lots of uses, but is this so?

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Why do you want to strip it?

If it is just so paint will stick and not peel, a full cycle through the
dishwasher or soaking in a pan with hot water and dish machine soap will
do
the job.

Colbyt

what does the dishwashing process do to it?

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

The stronger dish machine soap along with the hot water removes all oils
left over from the manufacture. It also tends to dull the surface so that
paints sticks as well as paint can stick.

The process is about the same as a years exposure to the elements which is
about how long you wait if you want paint on metal flashings to adhere well.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Why do you want to strip it?

If it is just so paint will stick and not peel, a full cycle through the
dishwasher or soaking in a pan with hot water and dish machine soap will do
the job.

Colbyt

what does the dishwashing process do to it?

I'm not sure, but I understand the galv. finish is kind of oily. Clean
it to paint it?

Hey! Try TSP with phosphate, (not the green box) like in a "dish
machine". Makes sense for just painting the material.

What exactly are you trying to do?

I was intending to spray paint it black. I was advised not to spray
paint it until the zinc was removed in the "painting metal braces" thread.

the responses to removing zinc ranged from using muriatic acid to
scruffing/scraping it along with dishwashing it somwhere in the mix.

I believe the instructions went like this, stick the plates in the
dishwasher, after the soap and rinse cycle, dry them and scuff/scratch
the zinc off with some type of rough pad.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/25/2011 9:43 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:
dilbert firestorm wrote:
someone told me that I can strip zinc in a plastic tub filled with
vinegar?
I know vinegar has lots of uses, but is this so?

Dunno about vinegar, but good old muriatic acid takes it off pretty quickly.
You do need safety gear for this, though.

Jon

which is why I'm not messing with that nasty stuff. As nasty as this
stuff is, its amazing how much damage its corrosive fumes can do.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 22:53:04 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

I know vinegar is really good at cleaning metal. When I work on old
things (e.g., cameras) with schmutzed or hazed brass or chrome parts, I
throw them (the parts, not the camera) into a vinegar bath. Brightens
'em right up.

Vinegar is a miracle. You can even eat it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dilbert firestorm wrote:
someone told me that I can strip zinc in a plastic tub filled with
vinegar?
I know vinegar has lots of uses, but is this so?

Dunno about vinegar, but good old muriatic acid takes it off pretty
quickly. You do need safety gear for this, though.

Jon

which is why I'm not messing with that nasty stuff. As nasty as this
stuff is, its amazing how much damage its corrosive fumes can do.

Well obviously you don't want to breathe in the vapors, or get it on your
skin. I do it outside, and stay upwind. Chemical gloves, a mechanics
suit, safety googles and a face shield are necessary, and make sure you are
not near an open flame. Have a box of baking soda nearby for spills and
cleanup.

I put the part to be de-galvanized into a plastic container, and use a chip
brush to apply the acid.

As the procedure continues, you will need to add more acid, as you end up
converting the Zn into a ZnCl solution, and releasing H2.

Like most things, once you have the setup it is a relatively simple
prodecure, and kind of fun.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dilbert wrote in message
[...]

thanx for the explanation for the dish-washing technique

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2011 10:52 AM, DT wrote:
In ters.com,
kens says...

wrote:

someone told me that I can strip zinc in a plastic tub filled
with vinegar?

I know vinegar has lots of uses, but is this so?

Try it with a penny?

Copper coated zinc? Copper left over?

I'm confused......

looks like I left out something in my post. grrr, hate that when that
happens.

Its for a steel plate that is zinc plated or any steel that has been
galvanized.

Vinegar will etch the galvanized coating, but I seriously doubt it'll
"strip" it. Not strong enough. (Well, maybe if you leave it in for like
two weeks or something.)

Oh, it will just fine. I built some structures this past year using
Unistrut for parts of them, and needed to strip the ends for welding.
Vinegar strips the zinc plated ones overnight, and the galvanized ones
take a day or so.

do you how baking soda figure into white vinegar? I've seen comments
where they say after the zinc is stripped from the metal, neutralize it
with baking soda and wash it in soapy water and rinse it in fresh water
& dry. whats not clear from the comments were, are they neutralizing
the vinegar acid or the metal or both.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 9:01*pm, dilbert firestorm
wrote:
someone told me that I can strip zinc in a plastic tub filled with vinegar?

I know vinegar has lots of uses, but is this so?

--
---= -Dilbert Firestorm- =---
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

I remember this from the by-gone days. It was referred to as
"pickling" to allow the paint to stick to galvanized gutters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dilbert firestorm wrote:
do you how baking soda figure into white vinegar? I've seen comments
where they say after the zinc is stripped from the metal, neutralize
it with baking soda and wash it in soapy water and rinse it in fresh
water & dry. whats not clear from the comments were, are they
neutralizing the vinegar acid or the metal or both.

Take a teaspoon of vinegar and sprinkle some baking soda into it. What
happens? What happens when you keep adding baking soda?

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/2/2011 2:36 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
dilbert firestorm wrote:
do you how baking soda figure into white vinegar? I've seen comments
where they say after the zinc is stripped from the metal, neutralize
it with baking soda and wash it in soapy water and rinse it in fresh
water& dry. whats not clear from the comments were, are they
neutralizing the vinegar acid or the metal or both.

Take a teaspoon of vinegar and sprinkle some baking soda into it. What
happens? What happens when you keep adding baking soda?

Jon

you can make a faux volcano out of this stuff. it just foams over almost
like lava.

however, I'm not sure what happens if you keep adding baking soda to the
mix.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!