Posted to alt.home.repair
dilbert firestorm dilbert firestorm is offline

Default stripping zinc with vinegar

On 2/25/2011 10:29 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 22:05:17 -0600, dilbert firestorm
wrote:

Why do you want to strip it?

If it is just so paint will stick and not peel, a full cycle through the
dishwasher or soaking in a pan with hot water and dish machine soap will do
the job.

Colbyt

what does the dishwashing process do to it?

I'm not sure, but I understand the galv. finish is kind of oily. Clean
it to paint it?

Hey! Try TSP with phosphate, (not the green box) like in a "dish
machine". Makes sense for just painting the material.

What exactly are you trying to do?

I was intending to spray paint it black. I was advised not to spray
paint it until the zinc was removed in the "painting metal braces" thread.

the responses to removing zinc ranged from using muriatic acid to
scruffing/scraping it along with dishwashing it somwhere in the mix.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!