Posted to alt.home.repair
dilbert firestorm dilbert firestorm is offline

Default stripping zinc with vinegar

On 3/2/2011 2:36 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
dilbert firestorm wrote:
do you how baking soda figure into white vinegar? I've seen comments
where they say after the zinc is stripped from the metal, neutralize
it with baking soda and wash it in soapy water and rinse it in fresh
water& dry. whats not clear from the comments were, are they
neutralizing the vinegar acid or the metal or both.

Take a teaspoon of vinegar and sprinkle some baking soda into it. What
happens? What happens when you keep adding baking soda?

Jon

you can make a faux volcano out of this stuff. it just foams over almost
like lava.

however, I'm not sure what happens if you keep adding baking soda to the
mix.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!