Posted to alt.home.repair

Default stripping zinc with vinegar

On 2/25/2011 12:23 AM dilbert firestorm spake thus:

On 2/24/2011 10:37 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 2/24/2011 7:57 PM dilbert firestorm spake thus:

On 2/24/2011 9:19 PM, Oren wrote:

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 21:01:04 -0600, dilbert firestorm
wrote:

someone told me that I can strip zinc in a plastic tub filled
with vinegar?

I know vinegar has lots of uses, but is this so?

Try it with a penny?

Copper coated zinc? Copper left over?

I'm confused......

looks like I left out something in my post. grrr, hate that when
that happens.

Its for a steel plate that is zinc plated or any steel that has
been galvanized.

Vinegar will etch the galvanized coating, but I seriously doubt
it'll "strip" it. Not strong enough. (Well, maybe if you leave it
in for like two weeks or something.)

vinegar really works!
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbt...2372972/1.html

OK, I stand (well, sit) corrected.

I know vinegar is really good at cleaning metal. When I work on old
things (e.g., cameras) with schmutzed or hazed brass or chrome parts, I
throw them (the parts, not the camera) into a vinegar bath. Brightens
'em right up.

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet