Posted to alt.home.repair
dilbert firestorm dilbert firestorm is offline

Default stripping zinc with vinegar

On 2/26/2011 10:52 AM, DT wrote:
In ters.com,
kens says...
On 2/24/2011 7:57 PM dilbert firestorm spake thus:

On 2/24/2011 9:19 PM, Oren wrote:

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 21:01:04 -0600, dilbert firestorm
wrote:

someone told me that I can strip zinc in a plastic tub filled
with vinegar?

I know vinegar has lots of uses, but is this so?

Try it with a penny?

Copper coated zinc? Copper left over?

I'm confused......

looks like I left out something in my post. grrr, hate that when that
happens.

Its for a steel plate that is zinc plated or any steel that has been
galvanized.

Vinegar will etch the galvanized coating, but I seriously doubt it'll
"strip" it. Not strong enough. (Well, maybe if you leave it in for like
two weeks or something.)

Oh, it will just fine. I built some structures this past year using
Unistrut for parts of them, and needed to strip the ends for welding.
Vinegar strips the zinc plated ones overnight, and the galvanized ones
take a day or so.

do you how baking soda figure into white vinegar? I've seen comments
where they say after the zinc is stripped from the metal, neutralize it
with baking soda and wash it in soapy water and rinse it in fresh water
& dry. whats not clear from the comments were, are they neutralizing
the vinegar acid or the metal or both.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!