Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Generator Problem

I have a 5,500 watt gasoline engine generator that powers the furnace,
refrigerator and water pump during power outages. It's run well for
the last 6 or 7 years but has gotten tempermental lately.

During a 36-hour outage last week I ran it the first evening when the
power went out then turned it off overnight. I started it up at about
6:00 the next morning and it ran well for a while. At about 10:30, my
wife called me at work to say that the generator shut off. She
reported that it started running very fast for about a half-hour, then
quit. I came home at lunch time and it restarted at the first pull,
running well for the rest of the day and into the next day when the
power came back on.

Last night there was a very strong wind in the evening. Right after
dinner, about 7:30, the lights flickered a few times and went off. We
lit candles and sat by the woodstove for a while, hoping the power
would be restored quickly. About 9:00, I figured I should start up the
generator and connect the vital items to the generator circuit. After
I finished that, I sat down by the woodstove and the lights went back
on. Not sure if they'd stay on, I decided to let the generator run and
went to bed. I woke up at 11:30 to find that the generator had gone
off. I repluged everything into the house circuit and went back to
bed.

I plan to tune up the engine on the generator this weekend; replace
all filters, gap the plug, etc. Does anybody have any ideas on what
might be causing these shut-offs?

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

Snip "She
reported that it started running very fast for about a half-hour, then
quit."

It may have a over/under frequency shut down devise. I would check to see
what controls the frequency 60 hz, it may be the problem. The generator
should not have started running very fast as your wife said.

--

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk.
Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent
"Pavel314" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frist, I hope you live way far away from anyone else.
Running the generater after 8 PM or so is rather rude. Kids
or people nearby may need the silence to sleep.

That said, the simple things are often what gives trouble.
My gut sense is that the oil level is low. You should drain
the oil, and fill the oil with the reccomended ammount of
oil. The one time I very briefly had a 5500 watt generator,
it took 28 ounces of oil. Use a good brand of oil. This is
no time to save a quarter on cheap junk oil. My favorite
brand is Castrol, others have other favorite brands.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pavel314" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 8:55*am, "Tom Mills" wrote:
Snip "She
[...]

Paul- Hide quoted text -

You don't mention the brand or style specifics but many of the basic
generators have a mechanical governor that controls rpm which in turn
controls the frequency and voltage. They are often levers, springs,
vanes, that sort of thing. I've had to clean and adjust mine in the
past.

You know those basic generators don't have a particularly long life
expectancy? Maybe you don't care and will just buy a new one when
that one wears out. I run mine during the day but I shut it down when
we go to bed. But I'm in NC and the house will usually hold a
tolerable temp over night. And the firdge is ok because no one is
opening it. It may start to get cold by morning but then I'm up and
can run the generator and furnace.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 7:40*am, Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

Low oil would cause it to shut off or the oil sensor circuit, a
problem with the govenor would cause it to speed up. Do you ever check
voltage at idle and full load, because that goes out of adjustment and
can ruin apliances with over or under voltage. 3600 rpm is 120v-60hz,
A cheap 30$ tachometer is a good idea. I would take it apart and clean
and tune it. Also letting it die while a motor is running like in the
frige or furnace can damage the motors capacitors. What make and model
is it. how many hours on it, what motor does it have. Portable units
often have lawnmower motors that often are junk at 3-500 hours, but
some OHV units go 2-3000 hours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom Mills wrote:

Snip "She
reported that it started running very fast for about a half-hour, then
quit."

It may have a over/under frequency shut down devise. I would check to

see
what controls the frequency 60 hz, it may be the problem. The

generator
should not have started running very fast as your wife said.

She probably turn on the electric oven.
--
LSMFT
Posted to alt.home.repair

You know, that's a thought. The crazy speed may
well be a problem with the governor. It's a good
idea to take the motor cover off, and clean that
all out.

I've read that typical consumer small engine is
designed for 200 hours. Running all day and all
night will wear them out fastly. I've found that an
hour of furnace before bed will get me through
till morning.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"jamesgangnc"
wrote in message news:1c5cab04-c824-45bb-9915-

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Frist, I hope you live way far away from anyone else.
Running the generater after 8 PM or so is rather rude. Kids
or people nearby may need the silence to sleep.

Right.

The nice thing about Honda generators is that they are quiet enough so that
you can hear all the other generators in the neighborhood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 9:00*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Frist, I hope you live way far away from anyone else.
Running the generater after 8 PM or so is rather rude. Kids
or people nearby may need the silence to sleep.

We're on a small farm and the neighbors are all far enough away that
they don't hear anything.

Paul

.

"Pavel314" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 9:06*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
[...]

can run the generator and furnace.- Hide quoted text -

I generally shut mine down before going to bed and load up the wood
stove. Like you say, that generally gets us through the night.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 10:24*am, LSMFT wrote:
Tom Mills wrote:
Snip "She
reported that it started running very fast for about a half-hour, then
quit."

It may have a over/under frequency shut down devise. *I would check to

see
what controls the frequency 60 hz, it may be the problem. *The

generator
should not have started running very fast as your wife said.

She probably turn on the electric oven.
--
LSMFT

The generator isn't connected to the main box; I just ran a few lines
to the vital appliances like the pump and oil furnace. The electric
range isn't connected to the generator circuit.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 10:37*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
[...]

I plan to upgrade to a better generator before I retire.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

That's like when I'm driving a safe speed. Some motor head
comes flying past me (usually either on the right, or over
double yellow). Blowing the horn. I finally figured it out,
blowing the horn while passing means "I'm an impatient and
selfish jerk".

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

The nice thing about Honda generators is that
they are quiet enough so that you can hear all
the other generators in the neighborhood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you have fuel oil or propane on hand. You may
be able to get a self starting generator which runs
on the fuel you normally have available. More
convenient than keeping gascans in the shed.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pavel314"
wrote in message

I plan to upgrade to a better generator before I retire.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 3:03*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
If you have fuel oil or propane on hand. You may
be able to get a self starting generator which runs
on the fuel you normally have available. More
convenient than keeping gascans in the shed.

We have a 275 gallon fuel oil tank for the furnace. So there are
generators which would run off the same stuff I use for heating? Never
knew that; thanks, I'll look into those.

Paul

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pavel314"
wrote in ...

I plan to upgrade to a better generator before I retire.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
That's like when I'm driving a safe speed. Some motor head
comes flying past me (usually either on the right, or over
double yellow). Blowing the horn. I finally figured it out,
blowing the horn while passing means "I'm an impatient and
selfish jerk".

Perhaps it was an exigent circumstance: a doctor on the way to the emergency
room, a volunteer fireman responding to a call, or it could even be...

"Pussy, man!"

"Say what?" I said to the giant black man I had just pulled over for
speeding.

"My ol' lady called. Said for me to get my black ass over there 'cause she
in the mood! An', officer, she ain't in the mood all that often!"

[pause]

"Well, can't really give a man a ticket for that," I said. "Go on, but take
it easy."

"'preciate it officer. 'preciate it!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

[snip[

Low oil would cause it to shut off or the oil sensor circuit,

My generator (Honda) has a LED that's connected to the low oil sensor
circuit, If oil is low, that comes on when you try to start it.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Moses went back up the mountain 'Excuse me, GOD, I just want to get
this straight, The Arabs get the oil, and we get to cut the ends off our
what?????'"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Fuel oil behaves essentially the same as diesel fuel. It's a
different color because the tax rate is different. Fuel oil
can be used for off road devices such as diesel engine
tractor. Runs fine in over the road trucks, but the DOT
fines are highly painful.

Your fuel oil tank can power a diesel generator just fine.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:
If you have fuel oil or propane on hand. You may
be able to get a self starting generator which runs
on the fuel you normally have available. More
convenient than keeping gascans in the shed.

We have a 275 gallon fuel oil tank for the furnace. So there
are
generators which would run off the same stuff I use for
heating? Never
knew that; thanks, I'll look into those.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Stormin Mormon typed:
:: You know, that's a thought. The crazy speed may
:: well be a problem with the governor. It's a good
:: idea to take the motor cover off, and clean that
:: all out.
::
:: I've read that typical consumer small engine is
:: designed for 200 hours. Running all day and all
:: night will wear them out fastly. I've found that an
:: hour of furnace before bed will get me through
:: till morning.
::
:: --
:: Christopher A. Young
:: Learn more about Jesus
:: www.lds.org
:: .
::
::
[...]

Heck, I have one of those with a B&S engine & 5500 watts steady output max,
and broke the 200 hour mark during the great "Ice Storm of '98" alone. I run
it for about 20 minutes almost every weekend while I'm in my shop and use
the generac switch for isolation from the grid. It's got to be at nearly 800
hours by now counting the several times I've used it for emergency power,
portable power on a wagon, etc. etc. etc.. I know of many others around me
that are the same residential quality and none of them have quit due to
wearing out. One neghbor had to flash the generator part, but it's quick and
easy to do.
I don't know where that 200 hours of runtime comes from unless it means
unpacked and never gets any PM done to it. They're the same engines/systems
used for lawn tractors, mowers, all kinds of things and there's no such
warning on those either. I have one lawn tractor that the meter shows over
1,000 hours on it. It's a B&S engine too. As for the generator parts,
there's so little to them that there's almost nothing to wear out to speak
of. Having to flash it back into service isn't too unusual, but it's
normally not more than a half hour's time at the most to do it. I haven't
yet known one to need flashing more than once. That's what happens when you
never run them nor do any PM on them. PM is a lot cheaper and less
irritating than a break-down, which definitely can happen if you just store
it and forget it.

HTH,

Twayne`

generator problem Jon[_12_] Electronics 13 February 27th 10 07:37 PM
Odd problem with generator ..? Adrian UK diy 17 November 19th 07 09:39 AM
generator problem(s) NoSpam UK diy 27 February 1st 07 03:08 PM
Honda Generator problem Abby Normal Home Repair 2 June 10th 06 07:58 PM
gas generator problem RBM Home Repair 2 July 5th 05 02:19 PM