Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why is it Called Pipe DOPE?

I've used Pipe Dope for years, and always wondered why they use the
word "DOPE".

Does it contain a narcotic or psychedelic substance which will get
people stoned when ingested or smoked?

Or was it invented by a Dope, or only used by Dopes?

Or could it be that the original inventor had the last name of Dope,
such as Bob Dope?

Why do you think they call it Dope?

(And if it really does induce hallucinations when smoked, how the hell
do you smoke it? ...... Let me guess...... aahhhhhh, IN A PIPE?
So that's why they call it PIPE DOPE.....)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...

I've used Pipe Dope for years, and always wondered why they use the
word "DOPE".

Does it contain a narcotic or psychedelic substance which will get
people stoned when ingested or smoked?

Or was it invented by a Dope, or only used by Dopes?

Or could it be that the original inventor had the last name of Dope,
such as Bob Dope?

Why do you think they call it Dope?

(And if it really does induce hallucinations when smoked, how the hell
do you smoke it? ...... Let me guess...... aahhhhhh, IN A PIPE?
So that's why they call it PIPE DOPE.....)

---------------

'cause any dope can seal a thread?

Posted to alt.home.repair

?
wrote in message
I've used Pipe Dope for years, and always wondered why they use the
word "DOPE".

Does it contain a narcotic or psychedelic substance which will get
people stoned when ingested or smoked?

Or was it invented by a Dope, or only used by Dopes?

Or could it be that the original inventor had the last name of Dope,
such as Bob Dope?

Why do you think they call it Dope?

Aircraft dope is a plasticised lacquer used for fabric covered airplanes,
both real and models. My guess is that the slang term for pipe dope comes
from that era. Probably ges back about a hundred years or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

For the same reason you "dial" a phone number. Or apply "Ben Gay" on
sore muscles.

And maybe for the same reason a young friend tells me someone is
"sick", I say perhaps the person should go to the doctor?, then he
laughs at me because "sick" now means "cool"...

FYI - A short piece of galvanized pipe is called a "nipple". So go to
the hardware store and say you need some "dope" to apply to your
"nipple"!

I'm still trying to figure out why airplanes have "cockpits" and ships
have "poop decks"...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote:

For the same reason you "dial" a phone number. Or apply "Ben Gay" on
sore muscles.

And maybe for the same reason a young friend tells me someone is
"sick", I say perhaps the person should go to the doctor?, then he
laughs at me because "sick" now means "cool"...

FYI - A short piece of galvanized pipe is called a "nipple". So go to
the hardware store and say you need some "dope" to apply to your
"nipple"!

I'm still trying to figure out why airplanes have "cockpits" and ships
have "poop decks"...

Just guessing on the airplane- but the early ones looked a lot like
where you'd toss a couple chickens to fight. [cramped deep quarters
with a screened top.]

The ships poop deck actually has its origins in just what it sounds
like-- it was where you went to poop.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 9:11*am, "Bill" wrote:
FYI - A short piece of galvanized pipe is called a "nipple". So go to
the hardware store and say you need some "dope" to apply to your
"nipple"!

But you don't want it stuck in the fixture, so make sure you ask for
some nipple grease while you're there...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 3:53*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Bill" wrote:
[...]

Naw. That was the "heads". Poop is from Latin I think. Or Froggish.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2011 6:11 AM Bill spake thus:

For the same reason you "dial" a phone number. Or apply "Ben Gay" on
sore muscles.

Yep on the dial, but dunno about "Ben Gay"; that's just a trade name.

So here's one for you, speaking of things archaic: why do we still say
"turn on a light"?

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2011 12:44 PM harry spake thus:

On Jan 27, 3:53 pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

The ships poop deck actually has its origins in just what it sounds
like-- it was where you went to poop.

Naw. That was the "heads". Poop is from Latin I think. Or Froggish.

Yep. According to the dictionary (American Heritage here):

poop n. Nautical. 1. The stern superstructure of a ship. 2. The poop
deck. [Old French /poupe/, from Latin /puppis/.]

Got nothing whatever to do with poop as used today.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2011 10:30 PM Earl spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote in
s.com:

On 1/27/2011 6:11 AM Bill spake thus:

For the same reason you "dial" a phone number. Or apply "Ben Gay" on
sore muscles.

Yep on the dial, but dunno about "Ben Gay"; that's just a trade name.

So here's one for you, speaking of things archaic: why do we still say
"turn on a light"?

I have a lamp where the switch is 'turned'.
(not a wall switch, but on the lamp).

Well, OK: I was getting at how lights were activated back in the old
days. Ancient light switches were rotary, so one literally "turned on"
the light.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 5:34*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/27/2011 6:11 AM Bill spake thus:

For the same reason you "dial" a phone number. Or apply "Ben Gay" on
sore muscles.

Yep on the dial, but dunno about "Ben Gay"; that's just a trade name.

So here's one for you, speaking of things archaic: why do we still say
"turn on a light"?

* *To me, the *plonk...* reminds me of the old man at the public hearing
* *who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
* *that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.

From gas lights.
Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"Earl" wrote .
I have a lamp where the switch is 'turned'.
(not a wall switch, but on the lamp).

It is a regional thing, but some people open the light and close it when
done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 5:06*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
?
"Earl" wrote .

I have a lamp where the switch is 'turned'.
(not a wall switch, but on the lamp).

It is a regional thing, but some people open the light and close it when
done.

Yes, but to add to the confusion...to "open" the light...you "close"
the circuit.
I could take someone to an old department store where the AC wires are
exposed copper on the ceilings (about 6" apart). Rotary and pull-chain
switches. Old stuff is very "sick"!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28 Jan 2011 06:30:29 GMT, Earl wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote in
rs.com:

On 1/27/2011 6:11 AM Bill spake thus:

For the same reason you "dial" a phone number. Or apply "Ben Gay" on
sore muscles.

Yep on the dial, but dunno about "Ben Gay"; that's just a trade name.

So here's one for you, speaking of things archaic: why do we still say
"turn on a light"?

I have a lamp where the switch is 'turned'.
(not a wall switch, but on the lamp).

I'll bet 'turning on' a light predates electric lights. Oil lamps &
gas lamps needed turning, for the most part.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4d42565f$0$10741
:

On 1/27/2011 12:44 PM harry spake thus:

On Jan 27, 3:53 pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

The ships poop deck actually has its origins in just what it sounds
like-- it was where you went to poop.

Naw. That was the "heads". Poop is from Latin I think. Or Froggish.

Yep. According to the dictionary (American Heritage here):

poop n. Nautical. 1. The stern superstructure of a ship. 2. The poop
deck. [Old French /poupe/, from Latin /puppis/.]

Got nothing whatever to do with poop as used today.

I googled for poop deck etymolgy and found this as the top-listed entry:

http://www.pbase.com/image/22254153:

Poop Deck: The aft-most, raised weather deck on a ship. The name came
from the Middle English poupe, from the Latin puppim, meaning the rear
section of a ship The word derived from the Latin Puppis, meaning a doll
or small image, The Romans and other ancient seafaring peoples had a
small sacred idol or image affixed to the stern, where the deity it
represented could watch over the vessel. To be “pooped” incidentally,
meant to have a wave break over the ship's stern.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 7:21*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
I've used Pipe Dope for years, and always wondered why they use the
word "DOPE".

Does it contain a narcotic or psychedelic substance which will get
people stoned when ingested or smoked?

Or was it invented by a Dope, or only used by Dopes?

Or could it be that the original inventor had the last name of Dope,
such as Bob Dope?

Why do you think they call it Dope?

"Placenta" was already taken. For a completely different thing.

Bub...WTF! Where did come from?!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 7:50*am, wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 04:21:58 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa

wrote:
On Jan 28, 5:06 am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
?
"Earl" wrote .

I have a lamp where the switch is 'turned'.
(not a wall switch, but on the lamp).

It is a regional thing, but some people open the light and close it when
done.

Yes, but to add to the confusion...to "open" the light...you "close"
the circuit.
I could take someone to an old department store where the AC wires are
exposed copper on the ceilings (about 6" apart). Rotary and pull-chain
switches. Old stuff is very "sick"!

BARE????
I've seen knob and tube wiring and it was always insulated wire, (the
old cloth covered stuff). That was actually a very safe wiring method.
But BARE? *That sounds like a cobble job that some moron put together.
I'm surprised the code/inspectors have not banned it. There's nothing
wrong with rotary or pull chain switches. *Most people still have pull
chain switches in their basements.

These are something like 16' ceilings and the drops are insulated.
This is common for the era.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 4:21*am, Bob Villa wrote:
On Jan 28, 5:06*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

?
"Earl" wrote .

I have a lamp where the switch is 'turned'.
(not a wall switch, but on the lamp).

It is a regional thing, but some people open the light and close it when
done.

Yes, but to add to the confusion...to "open" the light...you "close"
the circuit.
I could take someone to an old department store where the AC wires are
exposed copper on the ceilings (about 6" apart). Rotary and pull-chain
switches. Old stuff is very "sick"!

Literal translation from german "make the light off". My wife still
uses that after being in the states for over 30 years. Same for doors
and windows "make the door shut"

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

chain switches in their basements.- Hide quoted text -

And available in any store selling electrical goods.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

This is common for the era.- Hide quoted text -

I tried to recall my mother's house. A real rat nest of old knob/
tube, younger romex addons, etc. A real electrician would have had a
heart attack. Anyhow I can't remember if the knob/tube was bare or
insulated.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 1:29*am, wrote:
I've used Pipe Dope for years, and always wondered why they use the
word "DOPE". *

Does it contain a narcotic or psychedelic substance which will get
people stoned when ingested or smoked?

Or was it invented by a Dope, or only used by Dopes? *

Or could it be that the original inventor had the last name of Dope,
such as Bob Dope? *

Why do you think they call it Dope?

(And if it really does induce hallucinations when smoked, how the hell
do you smoke it? ...... *Let me guess...... aahhhhhh, IN A PIPE?
So that's why they call it PIPE DOPE.....)

The verb is "to dope (something)", i.e., to cover soemthing with a
substance to accomplish a purpose. Plane dope for fabric covered
planes, pipe dope to aid in proper sealing, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

This has ceramic insulators every few feet...and if I remember
correctly, the bare stuff is solid and heavy gauge.
I could probably get in there and take a picture...if anyone has
piqued interest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

They are a requirement even now in bathrooms in the UK. They're much
quicker to wire too.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/94117/...lies/Switches-
Sockets/White-Moulded/Marbo-Range/6A-2W-Ceiling-Pull-Cord-Sw
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 3:54*pm, Harry K wrote:
On Jan 28, 4:21*am, Bob Villa wrote:

On Jan 28, 5:06*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

?
"Earl" wrote .

I have a lamp where the switch is 'turned'.
(not a wall switch, but on the lamp).

It is a regional thing, but some people open the light and close it when
done.

Yes, but to add to the confusion...to "open" the light...you "close"
the circuit.
I could take someone to an old department store where the AC wires are
exposed copper on the ceilings (about 6" apart). Rotary and pull-chain
switches. Old stuff is very "sick"!

Literal translation from german "make the light off". *My wife still
uses that after being in the states for over 30 years. *Same for doors
and windows "make the door shut"

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Machen die tur zu, Make the door to. Also said in Northern Englnd
even now.
Put t' door to.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

piqued interest.- Hide quoted text -

I can remember stuff like that years ago. It dated from the 1920s I
think. We pulled it all out on a job when I was an apprentice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

My daughter owned a house in central Illinois a few years ago that had
knob and tube wiring, The actual wires were covered with a rubbery
compound and then a woven cotton sleeving on the outside. I
suggested we replace it before insuring it, and talked to the
insurance guy. He said K&T wiring was fine, no higher premium than if
it were wired with romex, so we left it alone.. Sold the house about 5
years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2011 12:34 AM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/27/2011 6:11 AM Bill spake thus:

For the same reason you "dial" a phone number. Or apply "Ben Gay" on
sore muscles.

Yep on the dial, but dunno about "Ben Gay"; that's just a trade name.

So here's one for you, speaking of things archaic: why do we still say
"turn on a light"?

I have a PA Dutch switch plate that says "Outen the light".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 22:47:11 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 1/27/2011 10:30 PM Earl spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote in
s.com:

On 1/27/2011 6:11 AM Bill spake thus:

For the same reason you "dial" a phone number. Or apply "Ben Gay" on
sore muscles.

Yep on the dial, but dunno about "Ben Gay"; that's just a trade name.

So here's one for you, speaking of things archaic: why do we still say
"turn on a light"?

I have a lamp where the switch is 'turned'.
(not a wall switch, but on the lamp).

Well, OK: I was getting at how lights were activated back in the old
days. Ancient light switches were rotary, so one literally "turned on"
the light.

The wall switches in my grandmother's house (K&T wiring) were push-button (two
buttons, one with a white circle, one black).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2011 10:31 AM zzzzzzzzzz spake thus:

wrote:

On 1/27/2011 10:30 PM Earl spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote in
s.com:

On 1/27/2011 6:11 AM Bill spake thus:

For the same reason you "dial" a phone number. Or apply "Ben
Gay" on sore muscles.

Yep on the dial, but dunno about "Ben Gay"; that's just a trade
name.

So here's one for you, speaking of things archaic: why do we
still say "turn on a light"?

I have a lamp where the switch is 'turned'. (not a wall switch,
but on the lamp).

Well, OK: I was getting at how lights were activated back in the
old days. Ancient light switches were rotary, so one literally
"turned on" the light.

The wall switches in my grandmother's house (K&T wiring) were push-button (two
buttons, one with a white circle, one black).

Yes, I think most of us have seen those switches, which I actually like
a lot; they're much in demand nowadays for folks wanting to retro-ify
their old houses. (New ones are available with rotary dimmers in one of
the buttons.) By the way, those switches were built like the proverbial
brick ****house and seem to last forever.

The rotary switches I was talking about pre-date those pushbutton switches.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Because it goes on pipe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 18, 2016 at 1:57:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Because it goes on pipe

....some dope goes *in* the pipe!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 4:29:25 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I've used Pipe Dope for years, and always wondered why they use the
word "DOPE".

Does it contain a narcotic or psychedelic substance which will get
people stoned when ingested or smoked?

Or was it invented by a Dope, or only used by Dopes?

Or could it be that the original inventor had the last name of Dope,
such as Bob Dope?

Why do you think they call it Dope?

(And if it really does induce hallucinations when smoked, how the hell
do you smoke it? ...... Let me guess...... aahhhhhh, IN A PIPE?
So that's why they call it PIPE DOPE.....)

From the website http://etymonline.com/index.php

dope (n.) Look up dope at Dictionary.com
1807, American English, "sauce, gravy, thick liquid," from Dutch doop "thick dipping sauce," from doopen "to dip" (see dip (v.)). Extension to "drug" is 1889, from practice of smoking semi-liquid opium preparation. Meaning "foolish, stupid person" is older (1851) and may have a sense of "thick-headed." Sense of "inside information" (1901) may come from knowing before the race which horse had been drugged to influence performance. Dope-fiend is attested from 1896.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 9:11:48 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
For the same reason you "dial" a phone number. Or apply "Ben Gay" on
sore muscles.

And maybe for the same reason a young friend tells me someone is
"sick", I say perhaps the person should go to the doctor?, then he
laughs at me because "sick" now means "cool"...

FYI - A short piece of galvanized pipe is called a "nipple". So go to
the hardware store and say you need some "dope" to apply to your
"nipple"!

I'm still trying to figure out why airplanes have "cockpits" and ships
have "poop decks"...

From http://etymonline.com/index.php

poop (n.1) Look up poop at Dictionary.com
"stern deck of a ship," c. 1400, from Middle French poupe "stern of a ship" (14c.), from Old Provençal or Italian poppa, from Latin puppis "poop, stern," of uncertain origin. Poop deck attested by 1779.

cockpit (n.) Look up cockpit at Dictionary.com
1580s, "a pit for fighting cocks," from cock (n.1) + pit (n.1). Used in nautical sense (1706) for midshipmen's compartment below decks; transferred to airplanes (1914) and to cars (1930s).

Paul