Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Why is it Called Pipe DOPE?

wrote:

I've used Pipe Dope for years, and always wondered why they use the
word "DOPE".

This is likely just a troll-- but I'll bite. I like words and where
they came from.

I can get you back to the 19th century when it seemed to indicate any
goopy mix that had a specific purpose. There was 'dope' to keep
snow from sticking to your snowshoes, and 'dope' that was part of an
explosives mix.

Googling also turned up a 1920's trademark infringement case where
Coke-Cola wanted to own the term. They lost. [and that was after
they took the cocaine out of the recipe, I think]

Jim