Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pipe dope on plastic threads

Does pipe dope work when the pipes are galvanized on plastic? I have a
plastic connector that needs to go on old galvanized for a temporary repair
and I was wondering if pipe dope would seal the galvanized pipe threads
sufficiently if the female end was plastic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
Does pipe dope work when the pipes are galvanized on plastic? I have a
plastic connector that needs to go on old galvanized for a temporary repair
and I was wondering if pipe dope would seal the galvanized pipe threads
sufficiently if the female end was plastic.

I've used it for stubborn pvc to pvc connections to stop a drip. Just
make sure the dope you are using is safe for pvc. I think PTFE is the
stuff safe for plastic, read the label.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob kater" wrote in message
m...
I've used it before but make sure its for use on plastic. Usually have
more luck with the teflon tape though

Galvanized pipe seems to chew through teflon tape like nothing. I've had
much better luck with dope, but I'll make sure it's rated for plastic.
Actually it's a nylon connector, not PVC, but I'll check the ratings just
the same.
"Eigenvector" wrote in message
news
Does pipe dope work when the pipes are galvanized on plastic? I have a
plastic connector that needs to go on old galvanized for a temporary
repair and I was wondering if pipe dope would seal the galvanized pipe
threads sufficiently if the female end was plastic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RayV" wrote in message
ps.com...

Eigenvector wrote:
Does pipe dope work when the pipes are galvanized on plastic? I have a
plastic connector that needs to go on old galvanized for a temporary
repair
and I was wondering if pipe dope would seal the galvanized pipe threads
sufficiently if the female end was plastic.

I've used it for stubborn pvc to pvc connections to stop a drip. Just
make sure the dope you are using is safe for pvc. I think PTFE is the
stuff safe for plastic, read the label.

Well I'm definitely sold on pipe dope over teflon tape. The stuff I used
worked like a charm, had to torque the pipe down less to seal it and that
will make it so much easier when I finally repair it for good.

After working with PEX now for about 4 months I'm on the fence as to whether
or not it truly is a better system over copper. I know the copper snobs
will all yell "I told you so" but I think with PEX the deal is that you have
to go all or nothing and you have to pick the system that will work for you.
So far the Zurn system isn't panning out too well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
Does pipe dope work when the pipes are galvanized on plastic? I have a
plastic connector that needs to go on old galvanized for a temporary repair
and I was wondering if pipe dope would seal the galvanized pipe threads
sufficiently if the female end was plastic.

Yes you can if you do it properly.....first put teflon tape on the
female thread. This done in the same direction as the thread ((two
layers thick). Then cover this with a high quality pipe dope....not the
convience store quality crap.Do not overtighten.