Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Why is it Called Pipe DOPE?

"Bill" wrote:

For the same reason you "dial" a phone number. Or apply "Ben Gay" on
sore muscles.

And maybe for the same reason a young friend tells me someone is
"sick", I say perhaps the person should go to the doctor?, then he
laughs at me because "sick" now means "cool"...

FYI - A short piece of galvanized pipe is called a "nipple". So go to
the hardware store and say you need some "dope" to apply to your
"nipple"!

I'm still trying to figure out why airplanes have "cockpits" and ships
have "poop decks"...

Just guessing on the airplane- but the early ones looked a lot like
where you'd toss a couple chickens to fight. [cramped deep quarters
with a screened top.]

The ships poop deck actually has its origins in just what it sounds
like-- it was where you went to poop.

Jim