Posted to alt.home.repair
bill allemann

Default pipe dope versus teflon tape?

I've been trying to put together some black pipe and have been having poor
luck with pipe dope. I've seen a number of recommendations on this ng for
pipe dope over teflon.
I forget the brand name of the pipe dope, but it's supposedly the big seller
at a real plumbing supply house.
I've tried some joints with low torque, medium, and really tight. I still
get some leakers.
I can then take the same parts, put tape on them, and barely run them past
hand tight, and they test good.
Is there any longer term issues with teflon on gas lines?
thanks,
Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

teflon is fine on gas lines, just dont leave pieces of it lose on the
inside of the line, that could say clog a burner downstream.

best results according to a plumber friend is tape then dope, the combo
nearly never leaks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"bill allemann" wrote in message
m...
I've been trying to put together some black pipe and have been having poor
luck with pipe dope. I've seen a number of recommendations on this ng for
pipe dope over teflon.
I forget the brand name of the pipe dope, but it's supposedly the big
seller at a real plumbing supply house.
I've tried some joints with low torque, medium, and really tight. I still
get some leakers.
I can then take the same parts, put tape on them, and barely run them past
hand tight, and they test good.
Is there any longer term issues with teflon on gas lines?
thanks,
Bill

1: Rectorseal (dope) 2:Teflon 4 to 6 wraps clockwise 3: rectotseal again. I
never heard of any long term issues with Teflon tape, but was on a school
job they would not let us use Teflon tape. I'm sure the reasoning was
concerns on pieces of Teflon getting in system. Just hold the tape back one
thread. Another dope is Oatey "Great White", pipe joint compound with
Teflon. I like it better than rectorseal it is suitable for gas.