Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recessed lights in roof soffit

I want to install recessed lights in roof soffit. Can I use ordinary
indoor RL housing? The housing will essentially be inside the soffit,
not exposed to weather.

I also want to trigger these soffit RLs with dusk to dawn and possibly
motion sensor but I could not find stand alone dusk to dawn sensor
anywhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ls02" wrote in message

I want to install recessed lights in roof soffit. Can I use ordinary
indoor RL housing? The housing will essentially be inside the soffit,
not exposed to weather.

Your first consideration may be whether the building code permits
this (cf. the risk of fire in wiring exposed to atmospheric damp.) The
local agency for building permits can advise you.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ls02" wrote in message
I want to install recessed lights in roof soffit. Can I use ordinary
indoor RL housing? The housing will essentially be inside the soffit,
not exposed to weather.

I also want to trigger these soffit RLs with dusk to dawn and possibly
motion sensor but I could not find stand alone dusk to dawn sensor
anywhere.

You can use any frame kit rated for damp locations. Both motion detector
heads and photocells are available at places like Homedepot. I believe the
motion detector heads that HD sells have a dusk to dawn feature on them

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"ls02" wrote in message
I want to install recessed lights in roof soffit. Can I use ordinary
indoor RL housing? The housing will essentially be inside the soffit,
not exposed to weather.

I also want to trigger these soffit RLs with dusk to dawn and
possibly motion sensor but I could not find stand alone dusk to dawn
sensor anywhere.

You can use any frame kit rated for damp locations. Both motion
detector heads and photocells are available at places like Homedepot.
I believe the motion detector heads that HD sells have a dusk to dawn
feature on them

HD sells 2 types of dusk-dawn photocells: one is mounted in the cover of a
standard work box, and the other screws into a standard box knockout. i have
one of each in my house, and replaced them with the HD ones in the last few
months.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 8:48*am, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
"ls02" wrote in message

I want to install recessed lights in roof soffit. Can I use ordinary
indoor RL housing? The housing will essentially be inside the soffit,
not exposed to weather.

Your first consideration may be whether the building code permits
this (cf. the risk of fire in wiring exposed to atmospheric damp.) *The
local agency for building permits can advise you.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

First, the housing is inside the soffit, so it is not exposed to rain
or snow. Regarding dampness I don't think soffit is more damp then
bath, shoerw or even attic. I have recessed lights inside every shower
in my house.

But I will certainly check with building department.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 9:44*am, "chaniarts" wrote:
RBM wrote:
"ls02" wrote in message
I want to install recessed lights in roof soffit. Can I use ordinary
indoor RL housing? The housing will essentially be inside the soffit,
not exposed to weather.

I also want to trigger these soffit RLs with dusk to dawn and
possibly motion sensor but I could not find stand alone dusk to dawn
sensor anywhere.

You can use any frame kit rated for damp locations. Both motion
detector heads and photocells are available at places like Homedepot.
I believe the motion detector heads that HD sells have a dusk to dawn
feature on them

HD sells 2 types of dusk-dawn photocells: one is mounted in the cover of a
standard work box, and the other screws into a standard box knockout. i have
one of each in my house, and replaced them with the HD ones in the last few
months.

I assume dusk to dawn or motion sensor including the one inside
outdoor lights does not carry any load itself so several of them can
be wired in parallel and also additional lights can be added down the
line that the sensor controls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ls02" wrote in message

I want to install recessed lights in roof soffit. Can I use ordinary
indoor RL housing? The housing will essentially be inside the soffit,
not exposed to weather.

Your first consideration may be whether the building code permits
this (cf. the risk of fire in wiring exposed to atmospheric damp.) The
local agency for building permits can advise you.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

First, the housing is inside the soffit, so it is not exposed to rain
or snow. Regarding dampness I don't think soffit is more damp then
bath, shoerw or even attic. I have recessed lights inside every shower
in my house.

But I will certainly check with building department.

The ones in your shower should also be rated for damp locations

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"ls02" wrote in message
[...]

They are rated in wattage. Garden variety are 1800 watts

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"ls02" wrote in message
[...]

line that the sensor controls.- Hide quoted text -

By parallel you mean that you want to install several and have any one
of them trip all of the lights? That would be interesting as you will
be shorting out the power across all of them when one trips. I would
guess that it would work. They probably have a triac controlling the
output. You may confuse them though.

The thing that may or may not complicate things for you is that many
of these get there power from the light. They do not have both a hot
and neutral going directly to the sensor. They are in series with the
light. Sensors that have their own complete circuit would be more
reliable for what it sounds like you want to do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ls02" wrote in message
I want to install recessed lights in roof soffit. Can I use ordinary
indoor RL housing? The housing will essentially be inside the soffit,
not exposed to weather.

I also want to trigger these soffit RLs with dusk to dawn and possibly
motion sensor but I could not find stand alone dusk to dawn sensor
anywhere.

I used the standard IC rated one for a porch light (2002). The electrical
inspector required the solid glass cover such as one would use over or near
a shower. The one I have at my residence (1995) is the same open baffle
design as the interior fixtures and uses an interior bulb.

As for your sensor: http://www.nextag.com/dusk-to-dawn-sensor/compare-html

I am fairly sure there is a line voltage version that could control the
entire circuit. You find this type of item at the BORG. Go to a supply
house.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

ls02 wrote:

First, the housing is inside the soffit, so it is not exposed to rain
or snow. Regarding dampness I don't think soffit is more damp then
bath, shoerw or even attic. I have recessed lights inside every shower
in my house.

But I will certainly check with building department.

I would think it's no different than an externally rated ceiling fan that gets
mounted in a covered deck. In the case of the fans I installed, all that
involved was a fan that used plastic blades (not pressboard) and a vinyl gasket
between the electrical box and the fan mount.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"ls02" wrote in message
[...]

the line that the sensor controls.- Hide quoted text -

By parallel you mean that you want to install several and have any
one of them trip all of the lights? That would be interesting as you
will be shorting out the power across all of them when one trips. I
would guess that it would work. They probably have a triac
controlling the output. You may confuse them though.

The thing that may or may not complicate things for you is that many
of these get there power from the light. They do not have both a hot
and neutral going directly to the sensor. They are in series with the
light. Sensors that have their own complete circuit would be more
reliable for what it sounds like you want to do.- Hide quoted text -

I mean the sensor just shortens hot wire from source with hot wire
going to the load. when shortened the current does not flow through
sensor so the sensor is indifferent what wires and what loads it
controls.

Yes, I want to any sensor turn on all lights, so I essentually can tie
together all hot wires going to sensors from the same power source and
then tie all hot wires going to all loads after all sensors. This way
if any sensor turns on it will complete the circuit and all loads will
be powered.

you mean shorts or shorted.

essentially you are putting all the sensors in parallel.

yes, that should work as long as every sensor is rated to carry the entire
load.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 9:45*am, ls02 wrote:
I want to install recessed lights in roof soffit. Can I use ordinary
indoor RL housing? The housing will essentially be inside the soffit,
not exposed to weather.

I also want to trigger these soffit RLs with dusk to dawn and possibly
motion sensor but I could not find stand alone dusk to dawn sensor
anywhere.

Neighbor did this during a remodel. First the inspector said they had
to be damp area lights like for a bathroom. After he takes them back
and gets the right ones and installs them the inspector tells him he
has clearance issues, not enough space between the fixture and the
roof decking. I think he solved the problem with low voltage lights.

Jimmie

recessed lights cc Home Repair 4 January 6th 07 11:24 PM
Recessed Lights to Pendant Lights Jim Jacobs Home Repair 3 April 15th 06 10:18 PM
Recessed Lights Dave Combs Home Repair 6 March 23rd 06 07:22 PM
Recessed Lights a12vman Home Repair 3 March 25th 05 10:29 PM
# of soffit and roof vents???? Cory Lechner Home Repair 6 August 23rd 03 03:49 AM