Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Combs

Default Recessed Lights

Any comments on which type of recessed lights to use re line voltage or
reducted voltage, type of bulb, etc.?

Thanks.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Combs wrote:
Any comments on which type of recessed lights to use re line voltage or
reducted voltage, type of bulb, etc.?

Thanks.

Dave

How can anyone answer that without knowing the application?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Combs

Good point!

Kitchen (in soffits) and adjoining "great room" (in vaulted ceiling). My
questions could be restated as follows:

Is there an advantage to reduced voltage lights vs. line voltage lights?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of halogen lights vs. incandescent
lights?

wrote in message
ups.com...

Dave Combs wrote:
Any comments on which type of recessed lights to use re line voltage or
reducted voltage, type of bulb, etc.?

Thanks.

Dave

How can anyone answer that without knowing the application?

Posted to alt.home.repair
John McGaw

Dave Combs wrote:
Good point!

Kitchen (in soffits) and adjoining "great room" (in vaulted ceiling). My
questions could be restated as follows:

Is there an advantage to reduced voltage lights vs. line voltage lights?

If using halogen lamps, reduced voltage bulbs are more common and are
far more easily obtained. I have halogens in recessed cans over my sink
and range and I thought I was being clever to install line-voltage lamps
but now I've discovered that replacements have to be special ordered and
cost 50% more than their 12V equivalents.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of halogen lights vs. incandescent
lights?

Halogen lights _ARE_ incandescent lights meaning simply that the source
of the illumination is an electrically heated filament. The halogen
variety features a high-temperature glass or quartz envelope
more-or-less equidistant from the filament and a filling of an inert gas
and a halogen such as iodine. These allow the filament to operate at
higher temperatures for a longer time. The upshot of all this is that
these lamps put out a "whiter" light than regular old-style incandescent
bulbs which are more yellow-red. Many people prefer the bright white
light from a halogen above kitchen work surfaces because the color
rendition is more true to outdoor daylight.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ranieri

"John McGaw" wrote in message
Dave Combs wrote:
[...]

To which I would only add that working directly under line voltage halogens
can be HOT.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

Dave Combs wrote:
Good point!

Kitchen (in soffits) and adjoining "great room" (in vaulted ceiling). My
questions could be restated as follows:

Is there an advantage to reduced voltage lights vs. line voltage lights?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of halogen lights vs. incandescent
lights?

wrote in message
ups.com...

Dave Combs wrote:

Any comments on which type of recessed lights to use re line voltage or
reducted voltage, type of bulb, etc.?

Thanks.

Dave

How can anyone answer that without knowing the application?

I believe low voltage lights allow wire to run in places not normally
allowable like exposed on the underside of a cabinet. I think low
voltage lights are less efficient as well. But because of the low
voltage there are more styling possibilities.

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
RickR

To which I would add that they are cooler for the same wattage and lamp
type. But often put more light in one place than similar standard
lamps, so feel hotter. Light when it is absorbed by a material (paint,
food, skin) turns to heat.

Generally speaking:
Low Voltage lamps allow for finer optical control and smaller fixtures.
As lighting designer I like that a lot.

Halogen, as mentioned, gives a whiter light and is more energy
effiecient. But comes in slightly different lamps that can get folks
confused. Much like screw-in fluorescents. Similar is not identical!