Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_2_] chaniarts[_2_] is offline

Default Recessed lights in roof soffit

ls02 wrote:
On Jan 21, 11:37 am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jan 21, 11:29 am, ls02 wrote:

On Jan 21, 9:44 am, "chaniarts" wrote:

RBM wrote:
"ls02" wrote in message
I want to install recessed lights in roof soffit. Can I use
ordinary indoor RL housing? The housing will essentially be
inside the soffit, not exposed to weather.

I also want to trigger these soffit RLs with dusk to dawn and
possibly motion sensor but I could not find stand alone dusk to
dawn sensor anywhere.

You can use any frame kit rated for damp locations. Both motion
detector heads and photocells are available at places like
Homedepot. I believe the motion detector heads that HD sells have
a dusk to dawn feature on them

HD sells 2 types of dusk-dawn photocells: one is mounted in the
cover of a standard work box, and the other screws into a standard
box knockout. i have one of each in my house, and replaced them
with the HD ones in the last few months.

I assume dusk to dawn or motion sensor including the one inside
outdoor lights does not carry any load itself so several of them can
be wired in parallel and also additional lights can be added down
the line that the sensor controls.- Hide quoted text -

By parallel you mean that you want to install several and have any
one of them trip all of the lights? That would be interesting as you
will be shorting out the power across all of them when one trips. I
would guess that it would work. They probably have a triac
controlling the output. You may confuse them though.

The thing that may or may not complicate things for you is that many
of these get there power from the light. They do not have both a hot
and neutral going directly to the sensor. They are in series with the
light. Sensors that have their own complete circuit would be more
reliable for what it sounds like you want to do.- Hide quoted text -

I mean the sensor just shortens hot wire from source with hot wire
going to the load. when shortened the current does not flow through
sensor so the sensor is indifferent what wires and what loads it
controls.

Yes, I want to any sensor turn on all lights, so I essentually can tie
together all hot wires going to sensors from the same power source and
then tie all hot wires going to all loads after all sensors. This way
if any sensor turns on it will complete the circuit and all loads will
be powered.

you mean shorts or shorted.

essentially you are putting all the sensors in parallel.

yes, that should work as long as every sensor is rated to carry the entire
load.