Posted to alt.home.repair

Default TV repairable?

"Bob" wrote in message
On 1/19/2011 12:36, Robert Green wrote:

It's been a long time since I've opened up a CRT for anything but don't

you
need a cheater cord to bypass the line cord safety interlock? Not even

sure
where you'd find one locally, now that RatShack morphed into a phone

store.
YMMV, but I wouldn't send a novice into the back of an open big CRT unit
with a metal freon can. That's asking for a zapping. Just opening it

up
might not change the thermodynamics enough to spot a bad component.

I hope that the "CRT" you're referring to is the whole TV set and not
the picture tube. Opening it can be fatal -- for both you and the tube.

Yes, I should have specified "devices with CRTs" - no one wants a head full
of glass splinters.

I can't recall seeing a TV with a back cover interlock in over 30 years!
I find that somewhat bizarre considering all the safety features
included in modern TVs. They must figure that if you're going to remove
all the screws to get the back cover off, any interlock won't stop a
qualified person (or fool) from powering the set. There are more
warning labels than ever before, however.

Like I said, it's been a long time I've been into anything with a CRT.
Considering all the other nanny-state garbage there is to put up with, it
certainly seems unusual that they did away with the need for cheater cords.
Some of my earliest memories are of my dad turning the huge DuMont TV around
to undo the perforated masonite back to look for dark tubes and other
gremlins and the look of horror on my mom's face.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Hi,

Cheater cord? Just remove the clip which holds the cord to the back
panel. Then you can plug back in the cord w/o panel and turn on the set.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/20/2011 3:54 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

That was funny to read. I haven't heard "cheater cord" in so long, I
could just hear my Dad saying it 40 years ago (not that he stopped
saying it then, that's just were my memory took me).

TV repairable? PE[_2_] Home Repair 82 January 20th 11 01:37 PM
Garbage Disposal Repairable? Mark Sparge Home Repair 8 October 14th 06 01:46 AM
smashed mailbox, repairable? ap Metalworking 6 March 17th 05 01:51 PM
Are bad LCD's repairable? Isildur's Bane Electronics Repair 11 August 16th 04 06:00 AM
tv repairable or not Geoff.C Electronics Repair 7 August 20th 03 11:54 PM