Posted to alt.home.repair

Default House Electric - Wire Problem

The other day I noticed our porch light was out. Assumed it was the bulb,
but that wasn't it, so I removed the fixture, thinking it was a loose wire
nut. There is a black wire and a white wire in the box. Turns out, the
black wire is severed near the back of the box, with just a piece of
insulation holding it to the wire that would connect to the fixture wire.

Is there any way to splice the wire when there is just a quarter to
half-inch to work with inside the box? Otherwise, it looks like I'll need
an electrician to go into the wall. Any advice is appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron in CA wrote:
The other day I noticed our porch light was out. Assumed it was the
bulb, but that wasn't it, so I removed the fixture, thinking it was a
loose wire nut. There is a black wire and a white wire in the box. Turns
out, the black wire is severed near the back of the box, with
just a piece of insulation holding it to the wire that would connect
to the fixture wire.
Is there any way to splice the wire when there is just a quarter to
half-inch to work with inside the box? Otherwise, it looks like I'll
need an electrician to go into the wall. Any advice is appreciated.

Have you tried grabbing the stub with a pair of needle-nose pliers and
tugging it? A professional installation usually leaves ample slack in the
wire for just such contingencies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/14/2011 11:42 AM Ron in CA spake thus:

The other day I noticed our porch light was out. Assumed it was the bulb,
but that wasn't it, so I removed the fixture, thinking it was a loose wire
nut. There is a black wire and a white wire in the box. Turns out, the
black wire is severed near the back of the box, with just a piece of
insulation holding it to the wire that would connect to the fixture wire.

Is there any way to splice the wire when there is just a quarter to
half-inch to work with inside the box? Otherwise, it looks like I'll need
an electrician to go into the wall. Any advice is appreciated.

Someone--electrician, or someone like him--needs to pull the wire
farther into the box, *if* that is possible. Contrary to what "HeyBub"
told you, the people who wire such boxes often leave little or no slack
in the wires, even they're spozed to leave about 6" free.

If the light is on a switch, it *should* be safe to work on with the
switch off, though a smart person would probably want to check it with a
volts sniffer to make sure it's not live. With the power off, see if you
can 1) take the box off the wall and feed more wire into the box from
behind it (probably difficult), or 2) try to pull more wire into the box
from inside the box, though this may lead to problems if you end up
stripping insulation off the wires; then you'll have no choice but to
call an elecrician.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/14/2011 12:16 PM me said:

Someone--electrician, or someone like him--needs to pull the wire
farther into the box, *if* that is possible. Contrary to what "HeyBub"
told you, the people who wire such boxes often leave little or no slack
in the wires, even they're spozed to leave about 6" free.

Ahem; I should correct myself here, before the hordes of a.h.r. descend
upon me and beat me about the head and ears. There's supposed to be
about 6" of wires free *inside the box*. There's no requirement for any
such slack behind the box. And the cable could/should be stapled to
something inside the wall. So it sounds like you might have a hell of a
repair situation there.

Still worthwhile to try to see if an inch or two of cable can be coaxed
into the box. Remember, safety first: make sure the line is
"de-energized" as they say before touching anything.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 14, 3:16*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

I agree with you that often, perhaps usually, there isn't enough slack
left
in wiring to allow enough wire to be pulled into the box. I disagree
with the part where you say there is supposed to be extra slack beyond
the box. AFAIK, all that code requires and electricians normally do
is to route it so that it's not stressed, pinced, on a sharp angle,
etc. Combine that with the reqt that cable be fastened 8 to 12
inches from where it enters a box and you typically aren't going to be
able to pull enough into a box to fix a situation where it's severed
close to the entry point.

If the light is on a switch, it *should* be safe to work on with the
switch off, though a smart person would probably want to check it with a
volts sniffer to make sure it's not live. With the power off, see if you
can 1) take the box off the wall and feed more wire into the box from
behind it (probably difficult),

Woud be real difficult to take the box off if it's the typica fixture
box that's mounted inside the porch wall or ceiling.....

or 2) try to pull more wire into the box
from inside the box, though this may lead to problems if you end up
stripping insulation off the wires; then you'll have no choice but to
call an elecrician.

That would seem to be the possible solution, if he gets real lucky.
But in any case, he doesn't have anything to lose by trying. From
the description, it sounds like they may have partially cut the wire
when cutting back the outer jacket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:42:43 -0800, "Ron in CA"
wrote:

The other day I noticed our porch light was out. Assumed it was the bulb,
but that wasn't it, so I removed the fixture, thinking it was a loose wire
nut. There is a black wire and a white wire in the box. Turns out, the
black wire is severed near the back of the box, with just a piece of
insulation holding it to the wire that would connect to the fixture wire.

Is there any way to splice the wire when there is just a quarter to
half-inch to work with inside the box? Otherwise, it looks like I'll need
an electrician to go into the wall. Any advice is appreciated.

Sounds like a job for a crimp on butt connector. I prefer sta-con
insulated types but bare should be fine with tape or sleeve.
--
Mr.E
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron in CA wrote:
The other day I noticed our porch light was out. Assumed it was the
bulb, but that wasn't it, so I removed the fixture, thinking it was a
loose wire nut. There is a black wire and a white wire in the box. Turns
out, the black wire is severed near the back of the box, with just a
piece of insulation holding it to the wire that would connect to the
fixture wire.

Is there any way to splice the wire when there is just a quarter to
half-inch to work with inside the box? Otherwise, it looks like I'll
need an electrician to go into the wall. Any advice is appreciated.

If you are lucky some slack may be found somewhere along the run or in
the basement. If you are not lucky, a new line may have to be run. You
need somebody who knows house wiring,not necessarily an electrician.

--
LSMFT

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron in CA" wrote in message
The other day I noticed our porch light was out. Assumed it was the bulb,
but that wasn't it, so I removed the fixture, thinking it was a loose wire
nut. There is a black wire and a white wire in the box. Turns out, the
black wire is severed near the back of the box, with just a piece of
insulation holding it to the wire that would connect to the fixture wire.

Is there any way to splice the wire when there is just a quarter to
half-inch to work with inside the box? Otherwise, it looks like I'll need
an electrician to go into the wall. Any advice is appreciated.

It is entirely possible that there is slack on the cable, inside the
ceiling, however it generally won't be between the required staple and the
box. There is NO requirement to have slack and there is a requirement to
have a staple, so the only way to get to the slack is to remove the box and
the staple. Both are usually doable with caution, and depending upon the
type of box that you have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The other day I noticed our porch light was out. Assumed it was the bulb,
but that wasn't it, so I removed the fixture, thinking it was a loose wire
nut. There is a black wire and a white wire in the box. Turns out, the
black wire is severed near the back of the box, with just a piece of
insulation holding it to the wire that would connect to the fixture wire.

Is there any way to splice the wire when there is just a quarter to
half-inch to work with inside the box? Otherwise, it looks like I'll need
an electrician to go into the wall. Any advice is appreciated.

*Ideal makes a butt splice connector that is spring loaded. You just push
it on to the wire and stick another piece in the other end. No crimping or
taping is needed. Try an electrical supply company.

http://www.idealindustries.com/prodD...v=0&l1=push-in

If that doesn't work there are a few other things to try, but it depends on
the type of wiring. For BX the electrical box would have to be removed so
that some of the armor could be stripped back. For Romex in a metal box
with a clamp, you could try loosening the clamp and pull a little slack in.
If it is a plastic box, you could try just pulling a little slack into the
box. Sometimes by removing the box you can access the nearest staple and
remove it to give you a few more inches. There is no guarantee that there
will be sufficient slack to pull in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.idealindustries.com/prodD...iceline&div=0&....

If that doesn't work there are a few other things to try, but it depends on
the type of wiring. *For BX the electrical box would have to be removed so
that some of the armor could be stripped back. *For Romex in a metal box
with a clamp, you could try loosening the clamp and pull a little slack in.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

The other day I noticed our porch light was out. Assumed it was the bulb,
but that wasn't it, so I removed the fixture, thinking it was a loose wire
nut. There is a black wire and a white wire in the box. Turns out, the
black wire is severed

I wonder how that happened! I gather the light used to work.

near the back of the box, with just a piece of
insulation holding it to the wire that would connect to the fixture wire.

Is there any way to splice the wire when there is just a quarter to
half-inch to work with inside the box?

Yes there is. It takes less wire than a wirenut and less than a
crimp on, because it just slides on and has a metal clip inside.
Unfortunately I forget the name, but they had an assortement of 12 in
3 sizes (red for 2 wires, green for 3 wires, and yellow for 4 wires
iirc) for only 3 dollars iirc at Home Depot. Hanging on a hook, in a
little bubble pack card, with a couple other non-assorted next to it.

I actually bought, gave to a friend, then talked him out of using it
after I thought about it some more, even though it's rated to be okay,
since he was fixing a circuit with 8 flood-lights, over 1000 watts,
but you'll come nowhere near that in a porch light fixture.

Ah, it might have been made by Ideal, like the one John suggests, but
in the ones I saw at home depot, all the holes pointed the same
direction, fwiw. There are a couple other slightly different designs
also. Actually John's has the advantage of the holes pointing in
opposite directions, but it might be harder to find, espeically only a
few of them.

Otherwise, it looks like I'll need
an electrician to go into the wall. Any advice is appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron in CA wrote the following:
The other day I noticed our porch light was out. Assumed it was the
bulb, but that wasn't it, so I removed the fixture, thinking it was a
loose wire nut. There is a black wire and a white wire in the box.
Turns out, the black wire is severed near the back of the box, with
just a piece of insulation holding it to the wire that would connect
to the fixture wire.

Is there any way to splice the wire when there is just a quarter to
half-inch to work with inside the box? Otherwise, it looks like I'll
need an electrician to go into the wall. Any advice is appreciated.

Pull the box and see if you can free up some slack.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 14, 5:40*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Ron in CA" wrote in ...

[...]

+1...

RBM is right on this one... To do this as a homeowner without needing
MUCH larger holes in the walls than you will find is the rationale
behind
hiring an electrician to deal with this repair... Plus the fact that
your
wire will still be too short to meet code even if you do find an inch
or two
of slack in the wall because you will have to cut some of that
remaining
half inch away to remove the corroded portion at the point where it
broke
to make a new safe connection...

Think long term here, pay the couple hundred service call for an
electrician
to do this job once and never have to worry about it again...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/14/2011 12:16 PM me said:

Someone--electrician, or someone like him--needs to pull the wire
farther into the box, *if* that is possible. Contrary to what
"HeyBub" told you, the people who wire such boxes often leave little
or no slack in the wires, even they're spozed to leave about 6" free.

Ahem; I should correct myself here, before the hordes of a.h.r.
descend upon me and beat me about the head and ears. There's supposed
to be about 6" of wires free *inside the box*. There's no requirement
for any such slack behind the box. And the cable could/should be
stapled to something inside the wall. So it sounds like you might
have a hell of a repair situation there.

Still worthwhile to try to see if an inch or two of cable can be
coaxed into the box. Remember, safety first: make sure the line is
"de-energized" as they say before touching anything.

Ear, eye, and nose protection is also appropriate.

Make sure you're not standing on the top step of the ladder.

Do not eat the wire.

Have an assistant standing by to hold your beer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/15/2011 8:55 AM, HeyBub wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/14/2011 12:16 PM me said:

[...]

and don't scrape any paint off whilst doing it lest ye die of lead
poisoning.

--
Steve Barker