Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Three wire electric oven, four wire wall?

I've seen several examples on how to wire an electric oven with four
wires into home wiring with either three or four wires. However my new
oven has only three wires, red, black and yellow, and I haven't seen
any wiring diagrams for this case.

I'm _guessing_ that I wire the yellow ground (yes, yellow!) to the
white, red to red and black to black. But this seems to suggest the
white is attached to ground (which is what you do in the four-to-three
wire cases) and this has the potential to charge the appliance case.

Has anyone seen this situation before?

Maury

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Your wiring scheme sounds fine, although if this is a new oven, it should
have wiring instructions included with it or attached to the back where the
flex cable is

"Maury Markowitz" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've seen several examples on how to wire an electric oven with four
wires into home wiring with either three or four wires. However my new
oven has only three wires, red, black and yellow, and I haven't seen
any wiring diagrams for this case.

I'm _guessing_ that I wire the yellow ground (yes, yellow!) to the
white, red to red and black to black. But this seems to suggest the
white is attached to ground (which is what you do in the four-to-three
wire cases) and this has the potential to charge the appliance case.

Has anyone seen this situation before?

Maury

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 5:03 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Your wiring scheme sounds fine, although if this is a new oven, it should
have wiring instructions included with it or attached to the back where the
flex cable is

It does, in "germanglish". I can understand the words, but can't make
heads or tails of what they're trying to say!

Maury

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 12:41:08 -0000, Maury Markowitz
wrote:

On Sep 30, 5:03 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Your wiring scheme sounds fine, although if this is a new oven, it should
have wiring instructions included with it or attached to the back where the
flex cable is

It does, in "germanglish". I can understand the words, but can't make
heads or tails of what they're trying to say!

I have dealt with instructions like that. For such things, I often
find the drawings much more understandable.

Maury

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 10:00 am, Mark Lloyd wrote:
I have dealt with instructions like that. For such things, I often
find the drawings much more understandable.

....no diagrams. *sigh*

We called the manufacturer, they were more confused than us. They said
wire red-red, black-black and yellow-ground. This gives the unit
power, the lights and controls all work, but when you try to get heat
nothing happens. I'm assuming it should be yellow-white, but forget
it, I'll let them come in and "fix" it under warrantee.

Maury