Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Defective Electric Wire

I got a metal hole in the wall where there are 4 wires. There is a
red, white and black. Then there is a wire that is an error because
they forgot to put the colored plastic stuff on it. When I bought
this house there was no light in the bathroom. I have lived with this
for 11 years but decided its time to fix this. I wont use that error
wire because its defective but the other 3 are confusing. When I hook
the red to the black the lights go out in the bedrooms. If I hook the
red to white nothing happens and when I hooked the black to the white
there were lots of sparks, my finger got burned, and the whole house
went dark. I had to go in the basement and change that thing they
call a fuse. There was a 30 on the old one so the guy at the dollar
store told me to get a 30 bolt one. I asked him why they call it 30
bolts and he said its because it takes 30 bolts to fasten the wires
and keep them from wiggling on the electric pole. That makes sense.
Anyhow, I replaced that fuse. I wonder why they are called fuses?
They dont look like the fuse on fireworks. But when I replaced it,
the lights in the house work again, but still not the bathroom light.
I bet the problem is that defective error wire and it needs to be
changed. I dont know how to do that. I thought about cutting it off
and putting a piece of some other color wire on the end of it, but
what color should I use, and how many bolts do I need to hook them
together so they dont wiggle? What should I do to fix this mess?

Margo
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You've got to be kidding !

Call an electrician - quickly.

what you have sounds like a 220v circuit with a ground wire (the one
with no plastic)

Fuses were called fusible links , cause they melted (fused) under too
high loads.

but burn ointment on your finger .

Posted to alt.home.repair
hah hah is offline

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:48:08 -0500, wrote:

I got a metal hole in the wall where there are 4 wires. There is a
red, white and black. Then there is a wire that is an error because
they forgot to put the colored plastic stuff on it.

Bare wires are not used electrically, but as decoys for copper
thieves. The colored plastic stuff (called "decopperment") is intended
to hide the value of those wires.

When I bought
this house there was no light in the bathroom. I have lived with this
for 11 years but decided its time to fix this. I wont use that error
wire because its defective but the other 3 are confusing.

That's why they use colors. This plan was created by high priced
electricians trying to get more of your money because you're confused.

When I hook
the red to the black the lights go out in the bedrooms.

That's because you don't have enough bolts to use both red and black.
Anyway, the red is only for use at Christmas.

If I hook the
red to white nothing happens and

Nothing will. You have to use a special kind of fuse called a
"splatfuse". This looks like 2 regular fuses with 2 wires going
between them (they are blue and yellow).

when I hooked the black to the white
there were lots of sparks, my finger got burned, and the whole house
went dark.

Connect the black wire to the hot water faucet and the white wire to
the cold water faucet.

I had to go in the basement and change that thing they
call a fuse. There was a 30 on the old one so the guy at the dollar
store told me to get a 30 bolt one.
I asked him why they call it 30
bolts and he said its because it takes 30 bolts to fasten the wires
and keep them from wiggling on the electric pole. That makes sense.
Anyhow, I replaced that fuse. I wonder why they are called fuses?

Fuses were invented in 1967 for use in the cold war. They're called
'fuses' because their original use was in the construction on
plutonium containment vessels for H-bombs.

They dont look like the fuse on fireworks.

That's because fireworks are a Chinese invention. They do things
differently.

But when I replaced it,
the lights in the house work again, but still not the bathroom light.
I bet the problem is that defective error wire and it needs to be
changed. I dont know how to do that. I thought about cutting it off
and putting a piece of some other color wire on the end of it, but
what color should I use, and how many bolts do I need to hook them
together so they dont wiggle? What should I do to fix this mess?

No bolts are needed. You use a hose clamp to attach the bare wire to
a pipe (preferably a gas pipe). Attach the red wire too.

Margo

BTW, If you follow any advice in this post I didn't give it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I think you need to go back to troll school and/or buy a "basic home
wiring" book so you can post a troll that is remotely believable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

TROLLING ASSHOLE!

PLONK

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now tell me; Is a wire a piece of metal with plastic around it or is it
really a plastic straw filled with metal?

I say the chicken came first.

Did you know they construct the electrical towers using Kilo-Bolts. You
don't wanna touch those.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Defective Troll

Just another attempt by our third rate troll. At least it is better
than some of the stuff the kids post on their days off from school.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

Quick - set the hook margo!
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

Just another attempt by our third rate troll. At least it is
better
than some of the stuff the kids post on their days off from school.

No I think the post is sincere and poster is sincerely an idgit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 00:23:09 GMT, "PipeDown"
wrote:

Now tell me; Is a wire a piece of metal with plastic around it or is it
really a plastic straw filled with metal?

WOW, such deep thinking is disrupting my chain of consciousness. Oh
wait, it's not a chain, it's a plastic coated aviation cable......

I say the chicken came first.

Since this is about wire, it's obvious that Chicken wire came
first.....

Did you know they construct the electrical towers using Kilo-Bolts. You
don't wanna touch those.

Correct !!!!
And if you do, the wires in your head will wiggle forever after.

Wiggling wires are the worst. They disrupt sleep patterns and
eventually lead to drain failure which is referred to in the industry
as Drain Bamage.

Uh Oh, I better shut off this computer. I noticed the wires are
wiggling in my power supply. Time for more bolts...........

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

wrote in message

Now tell me; Is a wire a piece of metal with plastic around it or is it
really a plastic straw filled with metal?

WOW, such deep thinking is disrupting my chain of consciousness. Oh
wait, it's not a chain, it's a plastic coated aviation cable......

I say the chicken came first.

Since this is about wire, it's obvious that Chicken wire came
first.....

Did you know they construct the electrical towers using Kilo-Bolts. You
don't wanna touch those.

Correct !!!!
And if you do, the wires in your head will wiggle forever after.

Not forever. Just for the rest of your life.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Your white and black are the power and the red either is switchable
from a switch in the vicinity or should be capped, stowed, and ignored
unless you want to hire an electrician.

Specific 555 circuit Henry Electronics 8 December 27th 05 05:14 PM
Anybody know how to wire an electric GE oven timer? Michael Polo Home Repair 1 October 26th 04 12:54 AM
Correct way to wire in an electric oven TonyJeffs UK diy 5 October 25th 03 01:03 PM
replacing old non-grounded (2 prong) electric receptacles David Jensen Home Repair 27 August 26th 03 12:14 AM