Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to add a ground wire to my two wire house?

Do I have to rewire my whole house or can I just add ground wire to each
outlet?
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You can run a ground wire from the outlets to the grounding bar in the
service panel.

"torino" wrote in message
news:9119fd8effc72d845dc2069eda619a54@homerepairli ve.com...
Do I have to rewire my whole house or can I just add ground wire to each
outlet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"torino" wrote in message

news:9119fd8effc72d845dc2069eda619a54@homerepairli ve.com...

Do I have to rewire my whole house or can I just add ground wire to each
outlet?- Hide quoted text -

A simpler solution would be to use GFCI's, because in most cases, it's
difficult to run the wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

So your home is 2 wire no ground. you likely have knob and tube
wiring. In K&T the connections arent in boxes, so a bad connection can
cause a fire easily.

You home still have a fuse box? and perhaps 60 amp service? you will
need a main service upgrade. might as well go to 200 amp. this will
upgrade your main home grounds too.

what stared you thinking about this? resale time on home? homeowner
insurance troubles? blowing fuses? your home is likely really
underpowered. too few overloaded circuits maybe like a friends with
all 30 amp fuses in all spots

then there are specific rooms that need more power. seperate circuits
for washer, furnace, dryer, fridge, 2 20 amp GFCI circuits for kitchen
and one for bath.

A good place to start is new main service with all new circuits to
kitchen bath, furnace, and specifi spots that you need more power,
like computer area etc.

doing this will take much of the load off the old circuits, and the
proper size fuse shouldnt blow any more. have any floor outlets? they
are illegal and a real hazard.

Ideally you entire homes electrical system should be replaced.

Now before anyone flames me consider this. your home is what 75 years
or more in age? standards and things change for safety reasons a lot
in a generation. In that many years how many vehicles will a average
person buy? at what cost?

say electrical replacement costs 8 grand, thats only 1/2 the costs of
a new cheap vehicle, increases your safety, adds convenience many more
outlets, increases your homes resale value, may allow you to get
homeowners insurance some companies wouldnt even write new policies
for old wiring.

lots of advantages to doing it right.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

The OP asks a simple question and has to weed through all your usual
nonsense. Maybe it's possible the guy has 1960's Romex with no ground, or
even AC cable with non grounding outlets

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 23, 1:23?pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
The OP asks a simple question and has to weed through all your usual
nonsense. Maybe it's possible the guy has 1960's Romex with no ground, or
even AC cable with non grounding outlets

wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

lots of advantages to doing it right.- Hide quoted text -

its probably more likely he has K&T and besides I did ask why he got
interested in this area.

I think the poster who get most upset about K&T own it themselves and
protest so much in a attempt to validate their its fine dont worry
about it.

Meanwhile all it takes in oine smoldering connection in a wall to
cause a terrible home fire.........

I expected a unhappy response to my post.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Haller, it's just that your replies are senseless, baseless, and incoherent.
Those of us actually in the electrical business, who actually know something
about wiring methods and materials, just want to be sure those posters
seeking valid information, understand that they're not going to get any from
you

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 23, 1:23?pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
The OP asks a simple question and has to weed through all your usual
nonsense. Maybe it's possible the guy has 1960's Romex with no ground, or
even AC cable with non grounding outlets

wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you have armored cable you may be able to use the metal armor as a
ground. If you are going through the trouble of running a ground wire it
usually makes sense to just replace the old wires with new romex.

Do I have to rewire my whole house or can I just add ground wire to each
outlet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 23, 3:37?pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Haller, it's just that your replies are senseless, baseless, and incoherent.
Those of us actually in the electrical business, who actually know something
about wiring methods and materials, just want to be sure those posters
seeking valid information, understand that they're not going to get any from
you

wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jun 23, 1:23?pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
The OP asks a simple question and has to weed through all your usual
nonsense. Maybe it's possible the guy has 1960's Romex with no ground, or
even AC cable with non grounding outlets

wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

I expected a unhappy response to my post.- Hide quoted text -

if someone is going to all the work to run a gound wire then they
might as well install new romex.

you are the hazard, with replies like just install GFCIs.

while never even asking if the posters main service is properly
grounded and bonded.

Many times in such a old install people over fuse creating a real
hazard. you dont even ask!

Wouldnt it be sad for someone to install GFCIs or run ground lines all
thru home then have fire?

insurance might refuse to pay claim, based on poor workmanship....

I certinally HOPE your not a professional electrician, because you sir
are a danger to everyone you work for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
The OP asks a simple question and has to weed through all your usual
nonsense. Maybe it's possible the guy has 1960's Romex with no
ground, or even AC cable with non grounding outlets

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Good response: I seldom see direct answers to the OP's here anymore;
everyone is too interested in showing off and "recommending" this and that,
half the time making it sound like law as opposed to "shoulds" and wasting
the OPs time.

FIRST answer the questions. THEN go verbosity-wild if you want so the OP
doesn't have to wade thru all the extra garbage only to find out there isn't
any answer inthe post to his question.

Pop`

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jun 23, 1:23?pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
The OP asks a simple question and has to weed through all your usual
nonsense. Maybe it's possible the guy has 1960's Romex with no
ground, or even AC cable with non grounding outlets

wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

But ... you never answered the question asked directly. Waste.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT how to add a ground wire to my two wire house?

RBM wrote:
Haller, it's just that your replies are senseless, baseless, and
incoherent. Those of us actually in the electrical business, who
actually know something about wiring methods and materials, just want
to be sure those posters seeking valid information, understand that
they're not going to get any from you

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 23, 1:23?pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
The OP asks a simple question and has to weed through all your usual
nonsense. Maybe it's possible the guy has 1960's Romex with no
ground, or even AC cable with non grounding outlets

wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

And again, still no answer to the OP's question.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jun 23, 3:37?pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Haller, it's just that your replies are senseless, baseless, and
incoherent. Those of us actually in the electrical business, who
actually know something about wiring methods and materials, just
want to be sure those posters seeking valid information, understand
that they're not going to get any from you

wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jun 23, 1:23?pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
The OP asks a simple question and has to weed through all your
usual nonsense. Maybe it's possible the guy has 1960's Romex with
no ground, or even AC cable with non grounding outlets

wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

No answer to the OP's question here either.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
On Jun 23, 3:37?pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Haller, it's just that your replies are senseless, baseless, and incoherent.
Those of us actually in the electrical business, who actually know something
about wiring methods and materials, just want to be sure those posters
seeking valid information, understand that they're not going to get any from
you

wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jun 23, 1:23?pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
The OP asks a simple question and has to weed through all your usual
nonsense. Maybe it's possible the guy has 1960's Romex with no ground, or
even AC cable with non grounding outlets
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Haller, we've been over this road before...

Your stock answer is simply misinformed at best and way over the top w/
scare and fear tactics at worst. _IF_ you would simply ask the question
and get something other than _pure_ conjecture to go on, that would be
one thing. The insurance claim(s) have been debunked repeatedly as
being generally true...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 23, 4:23 pm, dpb wrote:
Your stock answer is simply misinformed at best and way over the top w/
scare and fear tactics at worst. _IF_ you would simply ask the question
and get something other than _pure_ conjecture to go on, that would be
one thing.

Obviously, the OP posted insufficient information which resulted in
so many posted based in valid assumptions. If the home is two wire,
then certain locations should be rewired to include three wire
circuits. If the ground wire can be run, then a new remix, instead,
should be installed. If the house is two wire, then some locations
will obviously have insufficient power such as kitchen and laundry
area. New three wire circuits should be run to kitchen and the
refrigerator should be on its own new circuit. Washer and dryer
should also have dedicated and new three wire circuits.

And, of course, the household earthing must be upgraded for various
reasons including human safety. All these upgrades are necessary and
were not required by code before 1990.

Bathrooms might also need new (dedicated) circuits depending on
wiring age. Even if new wire is not required, still, all bathrooms
must be GFCIed.

None of this completely upgrades house to minimally acceptable
standards. Listed are corrections now considered so essential as to
be necessary even if grandfathering does not make it code required.

Is running new wires hard? Yes to most people. But professional
electricians have a truck full of simple solutions that make new three
wire circuits easy in selected locations.

One final problem. Breaker box may simply be too undersized. Only
an electrician can say with certainty. If the breaker box used FPE
circuit breakers, the homeowner may not care how much a replacement
box costs - some FPE products being that dangerous anyway.

It sure would have helped immensely if the OP had provided basic
facts in his first post.

Above are some corrections that should be considered absolutely
necessary because houses with two wire outlets are tyically deficient
in those locations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 23, 6:21 am, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
You can run a ground wire from the outlets to the grounding bar in the
service panel.

I thought I saw a post on another electrical question that said all the
wires had to be in the same sheathing or something to that effect. But I
may be mis-remembering it, and I'm not an electrician.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You probably did, and they do. This is an NEC approved method of adding a
ground to circuits which were installed before grounding outlets were used

"Kitep" wrote in message

On Jun 23, 6:21 am, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
You can run a ground wire from the outlets to the grounding bar in the
service panel.

I thought I saw a post on another electrical question that said all the
wires had to be in the same sheathing or something to that effect. But I
may be mis-remembering it, and I'm not an electrician.

Posted to alt.home.repair

But ... you never answered the question asked directly.

The first response said you can add ground wires, but FAILED utterly
to address any of the safety issues surrounding such a quick fix. Plus
while GFCIs have their place I think installing them with no boxes
have safety issues of their own, after replacing more than one with
fried wires on the GFCI, with no box thats a fire hazard.

I sincerly HOPE RBM remove this isnt a registered electrician!

My concern is SAFETY.

I have had friends and realtives that had home fires. Its devastating
even if no one is hurt and its just insurance covered property damage

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

The OP asked a very simple and direct question. I gave him a clear
definition of what the NEC allows. He didn't ask how to rewire his house. He
didn't ask what current code requires. He didn't ask how many rings there
are around Saturn.

Let's take a look at your latest senseless statement. "Plus
while GFCIs have their place I think installing them with no boxes
have safety issues of their own" Do you snatch this stuff out of thin
air? Who has said anything about "no boxes"?

wrote in message
oups.com...

But ... you never answered the question asked directly.

The first response said you can add ground wires, but FAILED utterly
to address any of the safety issues surrounding such a quick fix. Plus
while GFCIs have their place I think installing them with no boxes
have safety issues of their own, after replacing more than one with
fried wires on the GFCI, with no box thats a fire hazard.

I sincerly HOPE RBM remove this isnt a registered electrician!

My concern is SAFETY.

I have had friends and realtives that had home fires. Its devastating
even if no one is hurt and its just insurance covered property damage

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 23, 6:59?pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
The OP asked a very simple and direct question. I gave him a clear
definition of what the NEC allows. He didn't ask how to rewire his house. He
didn't ask what current code requires. He didn't ask how many rings there
are around Saturn.

Let's take a look at your latest senseless statement. "Plus

while GFCIs have their place I think installing them with no boxes
have safety issues of their own" Do you snatch this stuff out of thin
air? Who has said anything about "no boxes"?

wrote in message

now just how many DIY people would just add ground wire and screw new
GFCI in place of old 2 prong outlet?

I found one exactly that way in a K&T home once.

remember K&T has no boxes at all, I think thats bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Sorry Haller, once again, senseless and baseless.

"remember K&T has no boxes at all, I think thats bad."

You really need to do some research before spewing this total nonsense.
Outlet and junction boxes were used with K&T. Splices could be made without
boxes, and light fixture outlets generally had loom extending out of walls
and ceilings without boxes, but switches and receptacles were either in
boxes or a self-contained ceramic enclosure, but never just screwed to wood,
if installed properly

ups.com...

wrote in message

now just how many DIY people would just add ground wire and screw new
GFCI in place of old 2 prong outlet?

I found one exactly that way in a K&T home once.

remember K&T has no boxes at all, I think thats bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

w_tom wrote:
On Jun 23, 4:23 pm, dpb wrote:
Your stock answer is simply misinformed at best and way over the top w/
scare and fear tactics at worst. _IF_ you would simply ask the question
and get something other than _pure_ conjecture to go on, that would be
one thing.

Obviously, the OP posted insufficient information which resulted in
so many posted based in valid assumptions. ...

Snip rest of also possibly/probably? invalid assumptions and "not
necessarily" recommendations...

As only one example, I've seen quite a lot of basically 2-wire houses
that _do_ have 3-wire to appliances as that was pretty much standard for
them from "way back" -- or they had conduit w/ ground supplied that way.
There still is really no _urgent_ need for simple lighting and duplex
outlet circuits to have ground as, for the most part, the appliances and
lights that go into them don't have grounding plugs or ground fixtures
on them, anyway...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

so grounded light fixtures dont matter?

great, so the wire feeding the light shots against the meatal fixture.
light continues to work fine till the day the bulb burns out. when the
homeowner goes to change the bulb they are on a aluminium ladder and
get a nasty shock and perhaps fall off the ladder. or the light above
the kitchen sink does the same thing, excellent ground, that may be
lethal.

my best friends house has K&T home about a 100 years old. much has no
boxes at all, and floor outlets were everywhere. one of his kids
accidently spilled a drink and a floor outlet caught on fire. he
replaced all the floor outlets.

now just try to convince me a 100 year old system is safe... by todays
standards.

rbm remove this. just what exactly do you do for a living?

Incidently I asked the questions that needed to be asked

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

now just try to convince me a 100 year old system is safe... by todays
standards.

Where, _precisely_ is there anything in the OP's post to indicate this
is even _remotely_ close to a 100-yr old installation?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 10:30?am, dpb wrote:

now just try to convince me a 100 year old system is safe... by todays
standards.

Where, _precisely_ is there anything in the OP's post to indicate this
is even _remotely_ close to a 100-yr old installation?

--

2 wire syatem is likely at least 50 years old.

the OP left out a lot of necessary info, when i asked and tried
explaing the reasons i asked a few got on my case

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 16:50:16 -0000, "
wrote:

On Jun 24, 10:30?am, dpb wrote:

now just try to convince me a 100 year old system is safe... by todays
standards.

Where, _precisely_ is there anything in the OP's post to indicate this
is even _remotely_ close to a 100-yr old installation?

--

2 wire syatem is likely at least 50 years old.

the OP left out a lot of necessary info, when i asked and tried
explaing the reasons i asked a few got on my case

You're retarded..
I apologize to all normally retarded people out there.
Chuck
Posted to alt.home.repair

Type of construction?
Location of panel, access?
Type of wiring?
Purpose of grounding desired?
etc.,

THOSE are questions.

I presented possible problems and asked questions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

oh god, here we go again.

--
Steve Barker

"torino" wrote in message
news:9119fd8effc72d845dc2069eda619a54@homerepairli ve.com...
Do I have to rewire my whole house or can I just add ground wire to each
outlet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 23:03:29 -0500, "Steve Barker"
wrote:

oh god, here we go again.

Like my 5 year-old says, "It happens."

tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com