Posted to alt.home.repair

Default House Electric - Wire Problem

On Jan 14, 5:45*pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
The other day I noticed our porch light was out. *Assumed it was the bulb,
but that wasn't it, so I removed the fixture, thinking it was a loose wire
nut. *There is a black wire and a white wire in the box. *Turns out, the
black wire is severed near the back of the box, with just a piece of
insulation holding it to the wire that would connect to the fixture wire.

Is there any way to splice the wire when there is just a quarter to
half-inch to work with inside the box? *Otherwise, it looks like I'll need
an electrician to go into the wall. *Any advice is appreciated.

*Ideal makes a butt splice connector that is spring loaded. *You just push
it on to the wire and stick another piece in the other end. *No crimping or
taping is needed. *Try an electrical supply company.

http://www.idealindustries.com/prodD...iceline&div=0&....

If that doesn't work there are a few other things to try, but it depends on
the type of wiring. *For BX the electrical box would have to be removed so
that some of the armor could be stripped back. *For Romex in a metal box
with a clamp, you could try loosening the clamp and pull a little slack in.