Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default House Electric - Wire Problem

On 1/15/2011 8:55 AM, HeyBub wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/14/2011 12:16 PM me said:

Someone--electrician, or someone like him--needs to pull the wire
farther into the box, *if* that is possible. Contrary to what
"HeyBub" told you, the people who wire such boxes often leave little
or no slack in the wires, even they're spozed to leave about 6" free.

Ahem; I should correct myself here, before the hordes of a.h.r.
descend upon me and beat me about the head and ears. There's supposed
to be about 6" of wires free *inside the box*. There's no requirement
for any such slack behind the box. And the cable could/should be
stapled to something inside the wall. So it sounds like you might
have a hell of a repair situation there.

Still worthwhile to try to see if an inch or two of cable can be
coaxed into the box. Remember, safety first: make sure the line is
"de-energized" as they say before touching anything.

Ear, eye, and nose protection is also appropriate.

Make sure you're not standing on the top step of the ladder.

Do not eat the wire.

Have an assistant standing by to hold your beer.

and don't scrape any paint off whilst doing it lest ye die of lead
poisoning.

--
Steve Barker