Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawnmower class action suit - Status?

Remember last year when we got notices of a class action suit against
lawn mower
companies because of supposedly incorrect HP ratings of the engines?

Has anyone heard anything or have any info on the status?

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2011 7:10 AM, Bob-tx wrote:
Remember last year when we got notices of a class action suit against
lawn mower
companies because of supposedly incorrect HP ratings of the engines?

Has anyone heard anything or have any info on the status?

Bob-tx

No but thanks for reminder. If like any class action suit I've been in,
I might get a check for a few dollars several years from now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Remember last year when we got notices of a class action suit

against
lawn mower
companies because of supposedly incorrect HP ratings of the engines?

Has anyone heard anything or have any info on the status?

Bob-tx

Now they rate the lawn mowers in cc's so we REALLY don't know what in
hell the horse power is.

--
LSMFT
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote in message
. ..
Remember last year when we got notices of a class action suit against
lawn mower
companies because of supposedly incorrect HP ratings of the engines?

Has anyone heard anything or have any info on the status?

Bob-tx

Those things can take years. Don't wait for the check either, the lawyers
are the only ones that make out on the big class action suits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2011 7:10 AM, Bob-tx wrote:
Remember last year when we got notices of a class action suit against
lawn mower
companies because of supposedly incorrect HP ratings of the engines?

Has anyone heard anything or have any info on the status?

Bob-tx

Guess they didn't send out the "In order to preserve maximum benefits
for the class, Dewey, Cheatum & Howe has agreed to a fee of
$19,541,300.00, enclosed please find a coupon for $3.00 off your next
purchase of garden equipment..." letters yet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 13, 4:10*am, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:
* *Remember last year when we got notices of a class action suit against
lawn mower
companies because of supposedly incorrect HP ratings of the engines?

Has anyone heard anything or have any info on the status?

Bob-tx

From our experience whatever pittance you get will not pay for the
postage you used filling out all the papers needed to get in on the
'windfall'. How the 'class action' scam works is well laid out in the
novel "King of Torts".

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 08:36:36 -0500, LSMFT wrote:

wrote:

Remember last year when we got notices of a class action suit

against
lawn mower
companies because of supposedly incorrect HP ratings of the engines?

Has anyone heard anything or have any info on the status?

Bob-tx

Now they rate the lawn mowers in cc's so we REALLY don't know what in
hell the horse power is.

Remember the old "be careful what you wish for"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 06:10:55 -0600, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact
wrote:

Remember last year when we got notices of a class action suit against
lawn mower
companies because of supposedly incorrect HP ratings of the engines?

Has anyone heard anything or have any info on the status?

Bob-tx

Actually, if I remember my facts correctly, the engine manufacturers
are not at fault here - and really the lawn mower manufacturers are
not either. Ir is a government regulation thing. And an education
thing.

The lawnmower engines are manufactured to a standard - rated
hporsepower at 3600 RPM. This is a well-established standard - and
most of the engine manufacturers' engines met or exceded the stated
horsepower output at see level and standaed atmosphere at that RPM.

Enter the "nanny state", limiting the tip speed of the lawnmower blade
(actually the "exit velocity" of anything thrown off the blade)
effectively to 23-3200 RPM.(depending on blade diameter).

If you have a 4 HP engine (rated at 3600 RPM)it is developing 5.836 ft
lbs of torque.

At 3200 RPM, that is only 3.5 HP; and a paltry 2.25HP at 2200 RPM.

IIRC, the limit is something like 170MPH.

On a 18 inch blade, that is 3200 RPM.
On a 22 inch blade that is 2600 RPM
On a 24 inch blade it is 2375 RPM, and on a 25 incher, 2275 RPM.

That 4 HP engine "isn't" when installed on a 24 inch direct drive
mower. To get 4HP on that mower you need a nominal 6HP motor.

My old 25 incher is belt driven (roughly 1.5:1 ratio) allowing the 4HP
Briggs to run at 3600 rpm, developing full rated power output with a
"safe" blade tip speed of roughly 175MPH.

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote in -
september.org:

On 1/13/2011 7:10 AM, Bob-tx wrote:
Remember last year when we got notices of a class action suit against
lawn mower
companies because of supposedly incorrect HP ratings of the engines?

Has anyone heard anything or have any info on the status?

Bob-tx

Guess they didn't send out the "In order to preserve maximum benefits
for the class, Dewey, Cheatum & Howe has agreed to a fee of
$19,541,300.00, enclosed please find a coupon for $3.00 off your next
purchase of garden equipment..." letters yet?

Little Car Talk plagiarism? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2011 7:10 AM, Bob-tx wrote:
Remember last year when we got notices of a class action suit against
lawn mower
companies because of supposedly incorrect HP ratings of the engines?

Has anyone heard anything or have any info on the status?

Bob-tx

https://lawnmowerclass.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/14/2011 5:37 PM, Red Green wrote:
wrote in -
september.org:

On 1/13/2011 7:10 AM, Bob-tx wrote:
Remember last year when we got notices of a class action suit against
lawn mower
companies because of supposedly incorrect HP ratings of the engines?

Has anyone heard anything or have any info on the status?

Bob-tx

Guess they didn't send out the "In order to preserve maximum benefits
for the class, Dewey, Cheatum& Howe has agreed to a fee of
$19,541,300.00, enclosed please find a coupon for $3.00 off your next
purchase of garden equipment..." letters yet?

Little Car Talk plagiarism? :-)

No, they borrowed it from others. It is actually pretty common:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewey,_Cheatem_%26_Howe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Keith S." wrote in message
On 1/13/2011 7:10 AM, Bob-tx wrote:
Remember last year when we got notices of a class action suit against
lawn mower
companies because of supposedly incorrect HP ratings of the engines?

Has anyone heard anything or have any info on the status?

Bob-tx

https://lawnmowerclass.com/

Thanks very much
Bob-tx