Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Finishing drywall

OK, generally speaking, should I sand with or across the joints?

I'm using a 100 watt flood light with all other lights turned off and
holding it up against the ceiling so it shines across the ceiling. That
makes the imperfections stand out!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 4:54*pm, Tony Miklos wrote:
OK, generally speaking, should I sand with or across the joints?

I'm using a 100 watt flood light with all other lights turned off and
holding it up against the ceiling so it shines across the ceiling. *That
makes the imperfections stand out!

You shouldn't need to be sanding at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 11:54*am, Tony Miklos wrote:
OK, generally speaking, should I sand with or across the joints?

There is no grain direction to joint compound so it doesn't matter.
As you taping skills improve you'll find you'll end up sanding less
and less. I've basically given up sanding - too messy and generally
too annoying. I prefer to follow up with another pass with a wet
sponge.

I'm using a 100 watt flood light with all other lights turned off and
holding it up against the ceiling so it shines across the ceiling. *That
makes the imperfections stand out!

Sure does.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 11:54*am, Tony Miklos wrote:
OK, generally speaking, should I sand with or across the joints?

I'm using a 100 watt flood light with all other lights turned off and
holding it up against the ceiling so it shines across the ceiling. *

That makes the imperfections stand out!

Me: Hey Doc! It hurts when I do this.

Doc: Stop doing that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Miklos wrote:
OK, generally speaking, should I sand with or across the joints?

I'm using a 100 watt flood light with all other lights turned off and
holding it up against the ceiling so it shines across the ceiling. That
makes the imperfections stand out!

100 Watt?

Piddle.

I use a dual 150-watt halogen work light. It REALLY makes the imperfections
stand out.

If you move the light close enough to the "imperfections," it cauterizes
them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 2:19*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Tony Miklos wrote:
OK, generally speaking, should I sand with or across the joints?

I'm using a 100 watt flood light with all other lights turned off and
holding it up against the ceiling so it shines across the ceiling. That
makes the imperfections stand out!

100 Watt?

Piddle.

I use a dual 150-watt halogen work light. It REALLY makes the imperfections
stand out.

If you move the light close enough to the "imperfections," it cauterizes
them.

I always use a circular motion when sanding to avoid building up any
ridge lines.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 11:54:04 -0500, Tony Miklos
wrote:

OK, generally speaking, should I sand with or across the joints?

Rent one of these and connect it to your shop-vac. Works like a
charm, especially if you have a lot of ceiling work. If you have just
one ceiling, then pass and do it the conventional way - extension
pole.

_Porter-Cable 7800 4.7 Amp Drywall Sander with 13-Foot Hose_

Pic:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7.../dp/B00002267Z

I'm using a 100 watt flood light with all other lights turned off and
holding it up against the ceiling so it shines across the ceiling. That
makes the imperfections stand out!

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7...13-Foot/dp/B00...

I'm using a 100 watt flood light with all other lights turned off and
holding it up against the ceiling so it shines across the ceiling. *That
makes the imperfections stand out!- Hide quoted text -

That's ridiculous at $398
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
OK, generally speaking, should I sand with or across the joints?

Rent one of these and connect it to your shop-vac. *Works like a
charm, especially if you have a lot of ceiling work. If you have just
one ceiling, then pass and do it the conventional way - extension
pole.

_Porter-Cable 7800 4.7 Amp Drywall Sander with 13-Foot Hose_

Pic:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7...13-Foot/dp/B00...

I'm using a 100 watt flood light with all other lights turned off and
holding it up against the ceiling so it shines across the ceiling. *That
makes the imperfections stand out!- Hide quoted text -

That's ridiculous at $398

Hence: " Rent one of these " ... I borrowed one from a friend - cost
was zero dollars.

For a pro I'm sure it is worth the money, if used daily in
construction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OK, generally speaking, should I sand with or across the joints?

Rent one of these and connect it to your shop-vac. Works like a
charm, especially if you have a lot of ceiling work. If you have just
one ceiling, then pass and do it the conventional way - extension
pole.

_Porter-Cable 7800 4.7 Amp Drywall Sander with 13-Foot Hose_

Pic:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7.../dp/B00002267Z

I've used one, and if you have a stairwell to do, or a cathedral
ceiling, they are the nuts. But for a standard 8' ceiling you can
save $375 with one of these-
http://www.amazon.com/Marshalltown-V...4267350&sr=1-2

Still no dust-- and not that much effort.

I'm using a 100 watt flood light with all other lights turned off and
holding it up against the ceiling so it shines across the ceiling. That
makes the imperfections stand out!

2-300 watts won't hurt-- But the main thing is, be sure it is your
only source of light. cover the windows if you're working in the
daytime.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OK, generally speaking, should I sand with or across the joints?

Rent one of these and connect it to your shop-vac. Works like a
charm, especially if you have a lot of ceiling work. If you have just
one ceiling, then pass and do it the conventional way - extension
pole.

_Porter-Cable 7800 4.7 Amp Drywall Sander with 13-Foot Hose_

Pic:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7.../dp/B00002267Z

at this point, the first thing that comes to mind is a FIVE pound sack
of flour. Would i like to hold it up against a ceiling? Hmmmmm. No.
And this thing weighs EIGHT pounds. I think i'll just keep using my
pole sander and mask.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I would challenge you to fine ONE pro using one of these.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Miklos" wrote in message
OK, generally speaking, should I sand with or across the joints?

I'm using a 100 watt flood light with all other lights turned off and
holding it up against the ceiling so it shines across the ceiling. That
makes the imperfections stand out!

The group has certainly given the standard range of answers. Some of them
are off their meds for the Holidays.

With the joint in most cases. You do not want to tear the wallboard paper
which you risk doing if you sand across the joint.

Natural light is best. A bright light on the floor or up at an oblique
angle is second best. The way you are doing it by holding it close you will
still be there at the end of the world.

Keep in mind that almost no drywall job is perfect. Once you think you are
done or tired. Run a damp sponge mop over the area. The wet will show you
what you missed. Mark those with a pencil and sand some more when it dries.
Much easier than sanding the primer coat.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OK, generally speaking, should I sand with or across the joints?

Rent one of these and connect it to your shop-vac. Works like a
charm, especially if you have a lot of ceiling work. If you have just
one ceiling, then pass and do it the conventional way - extension
pole.

_Porter-Cable 7800 4.7 Amp Drywall Sander with 13-Foot Hose_

Pic:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7.../dp/B00002267Z

at this point, the first thing that comes to mind is a FIVE pound
sack of flour. Would i like to hold it up against a ceiling? Hmmmmm.
No. And this thing weighs EIGHT pounds. I think i'll just keep using
my pole sander and mask.

I bought an el-cheapo drywall sanding system at, I think, Home
Depot. It consisted of a 5 gallon plastic bucket and cover, a long
hose and the sanding screen holder. You put water in the bucket and
attach one hose to your shop vac and the long hose to the sanding
screen unit. There was no stick with this one, but I think you
could buy it as an accessory. It worked great and kept the abrasive
dust from destroying your shop vac, by trapping the dust in the
water. The only problem was the hose. It was corrugated and caused
extremely loud whistling from the air swirling inside. But, you
could control the noise, to a point, by reducing the air flow at the
vacuum. I think the whole thing cost about $20. Not bad. And you
don't destroy your vacuum. Here's a link to a similar unit, but I
know I didn't pay anywhere near the $57 advertised at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B00005A1K8

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Can they speak Spanish? Is that okay? Of 34 reviews 23 are 5 star, 5
are 4 star. Is it best for the OP and his work? I don't know how much
work he has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMCN780-PIA

You might think this tool is heavy and bulky, but I will say it is
well balanced and easy to operate. Does it fit for every project. No.

I used one to take down some heavy knockdown texture. It beat the crap
out of using a stick sander.

Are there other sanders? Yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nnOH08KYkg

YMMV

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OK, generally speaking, should I sand with or across the joints?

Rent one of these and connect it to your shop-vac. Works like a
charm, especially if you have a lot of ceiling work. If you have just
one ceiling, then pass and do it the conventional way - extension
pole.

_Porter-Cable 7800 4.7 Amp Drywall Sander with 13-Foot Hose_

Pic:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7.../dp/B00002267Z

I've used one, and if you have a stairwell to do, or a cathedral
ceiling, they are the nuts. But for a standard 8' ceiling you can
save $375 with one of these-
http://www.amazon.com/Marshalltown-V...4267350&sr=1-2

Still no dust-- and not that much effort.

I've got one something like that. Works great with sanding screens.

I'm using a 100 watt flood light with all other lights turned off and
holding it up against the ceiling so it shines across the ceiling. That
makes the imperfections stand out!

2-300 watts won't hurt-- But the main thing is, be sure it is your
only source of light. cover the windows if you're working in the
daytime.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
OK, generally speaking, should I sand with or across the joints?

Rent one of these and connect it to your shop-vac. Works like a
charm, especially if you have a lot of ceiling work. If you have just
one ceiling, then pass and do it the conventional way - extension
pole.

_Porter-Cable 7800 4.7 Amp Drywall Sander with 13-Foot Hose_

Pic:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7...13-Foot/dp/B00...

I'm using a 100 watt flood light with all other lights turned off
and holding it up against the ceiling so it shines across the
ceiling. That makes the imperfections stand out!- Hide quoted text -

That's ridiculous at $398

Yep. I bought the Harbor Freight model for less than twenty dollars. Had to
use the shop vac's hose though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
OK, generally speaking, should I sand with or across the joints?

Rent one of these and connect it to your shop-vac. *Works like a
charm, especially if you have a lot of ceiling work. If you have just
one ceiling, then pass and do it the conventional way - extension
pole.

_Porter-Cable 7800 4.7 Amp Drywall Sander with 13-Foot Hose_

Pic:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7...13-Foot/dp/B00...

I'm using a 100 watt flood light with all other lights turned off and
holding it up against the ceiling so it shines across the ceiling. *That
makes the imperfections stand out!- Hide quoted text -

That's ridiculous at $398

It might seem a bit spendy at $400 but .......

My buddy has one and I can assure you that 5 minutes of hand sanding
will generate more dust than the PC sander misses in HOURS of sanding.

Or course if your mudding decent you won't be sanding much. My
mudding isn't so good but with the PC sander I don't have to worry.
I doubt "pros" use them much, they are much better at mudding.

The unit is well balanced and using it is way less effort than pole
sanding.

For someone with poor mudding skills

OP-

Don't over do the "search for imperfections"....get someone to spray
on some texture.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 10:11*pm, DD_BobK wrote:

Don't over do the "search for imperfections"....get someone to spray
on some texture.

Ack! Bob, you old reprobate, what are you advising?! Don't search
for imperfections, just spray them on...?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/05/2011 10:16 PM, RicodJour wrote:
On Jan 5, 10:11 pm, wrote:

Don't over do the "search for imperfections"....get someone to spray
on some texture.

Ack! Bob, you old reprobate, what are you advising?! Don't search
for imperfections, just spray them on...?

I freakin' hate any kind of texture, but most especially spray on
"popcorn." what happens when you have to patch something?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 7:16*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Jan 5, 10:11*pm, DD_BobK wrote:

Don't over do the "search for imperfections"....get someone to spray
on some texture.

Ack! *Bob, you old reprobate, what are you advising?! *Don't search
for imperfections, just spray them on...? *

Yes.... suburban camo!

It's just drywall........

btw, I don't do finish work.

cheers
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2011 9:11 PM, DD_BobK wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I agree. I nice knockdown ceiling looks better than any smooth one.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2011 3:19 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Tony Miklos wrote:
OK, generally speaking, should I sand with or across the joints?

I'm using a 100 watt flood light with all other lights turned off and
holding it up against the ceiling so it shines across the ceiling. That
makes the imperfections stand out!

100 Watt?

Piddle.

I use a dual 150-watt halogen work light. It REALLY makes the imperfections
stand out.

But it has to be at ceiling height to work as it does for me.

If you move the light close enough to the "imperfections," it cauterizes
them.

Hmm..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Just one garage/shop. 896 square feet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 5, 4:45*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

snip

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7...13-Foot/dp/B00...

snip

Even better for the DIY crowd is this Magna Sand $28 outfit fro
Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Sand-Kleen-MT-...4345232&sr=1-2

Used one for many projects, works like a charm. Needs a decent shop
vacuum and a shot of Pam cooking spray in the bucket to keep down the
foam that some drywall compounds produce. The dust reduction is
dramatic if you've never used one before. Might even be possible to do
away with dust mask and plastic curtains in some cases. Magna Sand
even has pole sanders.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2011 6:10 PM, Colbyt wrote:
"Tony wrote in message
OK, generally speaking, should I sand with or across the joints?

I'm using a 100 watt flood light with all other lights turned off and
holding it up against the ceiling so it shines across the ceiling. That
makes the imperfections stand out!

The group has certainly given the standard range of answers. Some of them
are off their meds for the Holidays.

Yes, I got lot's of answers, but only a few answers to my question.
Still, the other advice is appreciated.

With the joint in most cases. You do not want to tear the wallboard paper
which you risk doing if you sand across the joint.

Natural light is best. A bright light on the floor or up at an oblique
angle is second best. The way you are doing it by holding it close you will
still be there at the end of the world.

LOL! Yes I'm not trying to make it perfect, but the light is the
easiest way to see the joints that are really bad. I just don't want it
to look as bad as the last mud job I did!

Also the 12, four foot double florescent lamp fixtures will be hanging
about 1 foot from the ceiling, so those lights aren't going to show many
mistakes above them. I'm actually really curious how much better this
will look than the last job I did in my old house, and damn it, it
better look better!

Keep in mind that almost no drywall job is perfect. Once you think you are
done or tired. Run a damp sponge mop over the area. The wet will show you
what you missed. Mark those with a pencil and sand some more when it dries.
Much easier than sanding the primer coat. :

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Tony Miklos wrote:

Yes I'm not trying to make it perfect, but the light is the
easiest way to see the joints that are really bad. I just don't want it
to look as bad as the last mud job I did!

Your idealism is commendable, but seriously, very few people spend any
time at all looking at the ceiling of a room. You could staple a few dog
turds up there and most people would never see them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 15:04:02 -0500, Tony Miklos
wrote:

Just one garage/shop. 896 square feet.

Use a pole sander for the garage/shop of this size. You can really
work hard trying to get _all_ the imperfections out. Generally, in my
area garages are not finished as well as interior walls.

They appear to be finished very well. The wife wanted her single
garage painted in Banana Cream Yellow. What happened? Every
imperfection stood out like a sore thumb. Stay with a white paint and
you won't see all the nail/screw spots, poor finish, etc.

"OK, generally speaking, should I sand with or across the joints?"

Sand the taped factory joint edges parallel with the seam. Butt
joints are some what different. YMMV

Apply the mud in thin layers and build it up as it dries. shrinks,
etc. Sand in between each application after the mud sets for a day or
so.

It's a garage :-/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2011 8:54 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
Tony wrote:

Yes I'm not trying to make it perfect, but the light is the
easiest way to see the joints that are really bad. I just don't want it
to look as bad as the last mud job I did!

Your idealism is commendable, but seriously, very few people spend any
time at all looking at the ceiling of a room. You could staple a few dog
turds up there and most people would never see them.

But I will see it! (it's a sickness)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:

Yes I'm not trying to make it perfect, but the light is the
easiest way to see the joints that are really bad. I just don't want it
to look as bad as the last mud job I did!

Your idealism is commendable, but seriously, very few people spend any
time at all looking at the ceiling of a room. You could staple a few dog
turds up there and most people would never see them.

But I will see it! (it's a sickness)

Yep. A friend spent 5 years building a Japanese style guest house on the
property of a wealthy relative. He did the whole thing himself, and it
was absolutely beautiful. But almost the only thing he could ever bring
himself to look at, sitting inside, were two tiny "oops" hammer dings,
way up high in one of the exposed roof beams.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Miklos wrote in
:

Tony wrote:

Yes I'm not trying to make it perfect, but the light is the
easiest way to see the joints that are really bad. I just don't
want it to look as bad as the last mud job I did!

Your idealism is commendable, but seriously, very few people spend
any time at all looking at the ceiling of a room. You could staple a
few dog turds up there and most people would never see them.

But I will see it! (it's a sickness)

A common sickness around here. I have it. Tried counseling for it. All I
got was my 24hr chip then slipped. Waste of time sigh.
Posted to alt.home.repair

* Tony *wrote:

Yes I'm not trying to make it perfect, but the light is the
easiest way to see the joints that are really bad. *I just don't
want it to look as bad as the last mud job I did!

Your idealism is commendable, but seriously, very few people spend
any time at all looking at the ceiling of a room. You could staple a
few dog turds up there and most people would never see them.

But I will see it! *(it's a sickness)

A common sickness around here. I have it. Tried counseling for it. All I
got was my 24hr chip then slipped. Waste of time sigh.

Yeah, human nature is funny, it is hard to ignore your own mistakes
once you see them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Miklos wrote :

But I will see it! *(it's a sickness)

A common sickness around here. I have it. Tried counseling for it. All I
got was my 24hr chip then slipped. Waste of time sigh.

Yeah, human nature is funny, it is hard to ignore your own mistakes
once you see them.

You're not supposed to ignore them. Japanese craftsmen don't try to
hide or mask the imperfections. It's a constant reminder that they
need to try harder. It's a good way to operate - as long as it
doesn't drive you totally nuts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 8:54*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
*Tony Miklos wrote:

Yes I'm not trying to make it perfect, but the light is the
easiest way to see the joints that are really bad. *I just don't want it
to look as bad as the last mud job I did!

Your idealism is commendable, but seriously, very few people spend any
time at all looking at the ceiling of a room. You could staple a few dog
turds up there and most people would never see them.

I'm thinking the dog turd comaprison is a bit off base.

I have plaster ceilings with a 1 x 8 T&G wall board underlayment (or
would that be overlayment since it's above the plaster?)

Anyway, you can see the joints of the wall board in just about any
light, natural or artificial. The joints aren't taped, so you don't
see rises, you see smooth "indentions" under the 3/8" of plaster.

I don't mind it since I think it adds character, but it's been noticed
by more than one person just sitting on the couch and glancing up.

"Hey, your ceiling is sort of wavy...what is that?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:

Yes I'm not trying to make it perfect, but the light is the
easiest way to see the joints that are really bad. I just don't want it
to look as bad as the last mud job I did!

Your idealism is commendable, but seriously, very few people spend any
time at all looking at the ceiling of a room. You could staple a few dog
turds up there and most people would never see them.

But I will see it! (it's a sickness)

A commendable sickness shared by all serious DIY people but a sickness none
the less.

As a general rule if I decide I can live with it "for now" and do better
when I repaint then no one else will ever see it. But then I can go it to
new home and wonder what hack did the drywall.

I usually let my son look at something that I am not quite pleased with.
His eye is more forgiving than mine but my wife would pass a small dog turd
so I don't use her.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

They sure are..Mine is hooked to a tool activated Porter Cable Shop Vac..900
for the whole set up but I can do a 200 sheet house in 8 hours as opposed to
3 days...Paid for itself after 1 job...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Right here..Been using one for 6 years..On my second wand...Same Porter
Cable Shop Vav...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 10:11 pm, wrote:

Don't over do the "search for imperfections"....get someone to spray
on some texture.

Ack! Bob, you old reprobate, what are you advising?! Don't search
for imperfections, just spray them on...?

I freakin' hate any kind of texture, but most especially spray on
"popcorn." what happens when you have to patch something?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I agree Texture sucks down the road...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Tony Miklos wrote:

Yes I'm not trying to make it perfect, but the light is the
easiest way to see the joints that are really bad. I just don't want it
to look as bad as the last mud job I did!

Your idealism is commendable, but seriously, very few people spend any
time at all looking at the ceiling of a room. You could staple a few dog
turds up there and most people would never see them.

I agree..Especially in a garage with hanging lights...Use flat ceiling paint
and it won't notice at all I bet..I did a garage that the owner just wanted
2 quick coats on the fire rated ceiling for the room above it so I just put
the tape on and coated it..No sanding..Painted it with Ben Moore flat paint
put up shop lights and it looked pretty good...