Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Finishing drywall

On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 17:45:57 -0500, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 13:12:24 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 11:54:04 -0500, Tony Miklos
wrote:

OK, generally speaking, should I sand with or across the joints?

Rent one of these and connect it to your shop-vac. Works like a
charm, especially if you have a lot of ceiling work. If you have just
one ceiling, then pass and do it the conventional way - extension
pole.

_Porter-Cable 7800 4.7 Amp Drywall Sander with 13-Foot Hose_

Pic:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7.../dp/B00002267Z

I've used one, and if you have a stairwell to do, or a cathedral
ceiling, they are the nuts. But for a standard 8' ceiling you can
save $375 with one of these-
http://www.amazon.com/Marshalltown-V...4267350&sr=1-2

Still no dust-- and not that much effort.

I've got one something like that. Works great with sanding screens.

I'm using a 100 watt flood light with all other lights turned off and
holding it up against the ceiling so it shines across the ceiling. That
makes the imperfections stand out!

2-300 watts won't hurt-- But the main thing is, be sure it is your
only source of light. cover the windows if you're working in the
daytime.

Jim