Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Finishing drywall question.

I have a studio in my garage in which I lowered the ceiling. I've
finished all of the drywall on the walls. But I never got around to
doing the ceiling. No tape yet or anything. I was thinking.. could I
sort of wallpaper it with posters and not worry about finishing it?
Would it be as effective in covering the gaps and such?

Posted to alt.home.repair

required type and thickness of drywall is to be finished and sealed,
primered, painted in buffalo ny in a heated single home.
complete drywall info at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheetrock
ahead: long, no answer, question needs more info: this type of
construction may require properly installed single or double layer
rated 5/8"X fire coded drywall depending on your building's permitted
use as determined by your address/town/zoning ordinances. this is a
broad question best answered locally. for tips on installation, see
drywall manufacturer's website. determine where? climate, humidity
day/night, building codes. why? for what use? is this a sleeping studio
apartment? is this heated year-round? does the garage structure connect
to a residential dwelling? will this be an additional dwelling? how?
construction type of existing garage, attached dwelling]. there is
exterior fire rated drywall manufactured as well. if the garage is
attached/detached from the home there is a different answer, also if
there is one/two/three or more units of residents in the property has a
different answer. was insulation required?

wrote:
I have a studio in my garage in which I lowered the ceiling. I've
finished all of the drywall on the walls. But I never got around to
doing the ceiling. No tape yet or anything. I was thinking.. could I
sort of wallpaper it with posters and not worry about finishing it?
Would it be as effective in covering the gaps and such?

Posted to alt.home.repair

You'd be wayy ahead to finish it before the sheets yellow and get
crappy looking,,light and humidity make sheetrock look aged
quickly,,papering over seams is'nt strong enough to stop cracking and
the joints would telgraph and show..
Dean

wrote:
I have a studio in my garage in which I lowered the ceiling. I've
finished all of the drywall on the walls. But I never got around to
doing the ceiling. No tape yet or anything. I was thinking.. could I
sort of wallpaper it with posters and not worry about finishing it?
Would it be as effective in covering the gaps and such?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
| You'd be wayy ahead to finish it before the sheets yellow and get
| crappy looking,,light and humidity make sheetrock look aged
| quickly,,papering over seams is'nt strong enough to stop cracking and
| the joints would telgraph and show..
| Dean

I thought we were doing away with the telegraph (morse code)? lol

| wrote:
| I have a studio in my garage in which I lowered the ceiling. I've
| finished all of the drywall on the walls. But I never got around to
| doing the ceiling. No tape yet or anything. I was thinking.. could I
| sort of wallpaper it with posters and not worry about finishing it?
| Would it be as effective in covering the gaps and such?

Posted to alt.home.repair

the sagacious dolt wrote:
"Dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
| You'd be wayy ahead to finish it before the sheets yellow and get
| crappy looking,,light and humidity make sheetrock look aged
| quickly,,papering over seams is'nt strong enough to stop cracking and
| the joints would telgraph and show..
| Dean

I thought we were doing away with the telegraph (morse code)? lol

LOL,,I believe Yer right! No more clickety clack tap tap these days..
I've seen butt joints that were only pulled with 1 pass from a 12"
DW knife then covered with vinyl wall covering,,I could easily find
butt joints everywhere in the 2 story semi-upscale motel even tho
covered by the thicker wallcovering..I still pull butt joints 3' wide
like "old days" quality..Side note;;Vinyl is nice when it's time to
remove it,,it comes off in big pieces compared to conventional
wallpaper..For Folks that like to change the feel of walls every few
years vinyl is a good(though expensive)alternative..
Dean