Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Miklos[_2_] Tony Miklos[_2_] is offline

Default Finishing drywall

On 1/5/2011 6:10 PM, Colbyt wrote:
"Tony wrote in message
OK, generally speaking, should I sand with or across the joints?

I'm using a 100 watt flood light with all other lights turned off and
holding it up against the ceiling so it shines across the ceiling. That
makes the imperfections stand out!

The group has certainly given the standard range of answers. Some of them
are off their meds for the Holidays.

Yes, I got lot's of answers, but only a few answers to my question.
Still, the other advice is appreciated.

With the joint in most cases. You do not want to tear the wallboard paper
which you risk doing if you sand across the joint.

Natural light is best. A bright light on the floor or up at an oblique
angle is second best. The way you are doing it by holding it close you will
still be there at the end of the world.

LOL! Yes I'm not trying to make it perfect, but the light is the
easiest way to see the joints that are really bad. I just don't want it
to look as bad as the last mud job I did!

Also the 12, four foot double florescent lamp fixtures will be hanging
about 1 foot from the ceiling, so those lights aren't going to show many
mistakes above them. I'm actually really curious how much better this
will look than the last job I did in my old house, and damn it, it
better look better!

Keep in mind that almost no drywall job is perfect. Once you think you are
done or tired. Run a damp sponge mop over the area. The wet will show you
what you missed. Mark those with a pencil and sand some more when it dries.
Much easier than sanding the primer coat. :