Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default What's the heaviest duty kitchen grease cleaner?

I'm trying to clean the grease off the range hood. Even using a "pro 409
degreaser" (main ingredient is 2-butoxyethanol), the dried and sticky grease
still isn't coming off easily.

Is there an even heavier duty grease cleaner?

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob wrote:
I'm trying to clean the grease off the range hood. Even using a "pro
409 degreaser" (main ingredient is 2-butoxyethanol), the dried and
sticky grease still isn't coming off easily.

Is there an even heavier duty grease cleaner?

Ammonia water, detergent, and alcohol work pretty well, at least when I mix
them up myself. You could always try simple green, which works pretty well
also.

Beyond that, lye or mineral spirits.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:

bob wrote:
I'm trying to clean the grease off the range hood. Even using a "pro
409 degreaser" (main ingredient is 2-butoxyethanol), the dried and
sticky grease still isn't coming off easily.

Is there an even heavier duty grease cleaner?

Ammonia water, detergent, and alcohol work pretty well, at least when I mix
them up myself. You could always try simple green, which works pretty well
also.

Beyond that, lye or mineral spirits.

Jon

The "purple" industrial degreaser (Zep found at Depot, among others) is
very heavy duty and works very well. I strongly recommend wearing
nitrile gloves when using it unless you like to dissolve your hands. It
took the heavy grease buildup off a Hobart commercial mixer in seconds
flat when other cleaners wouldn't even touch it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 4:11*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:

bob wrote:
I'm trying to clean the grease off the range hood. Even using a "pro
409 degreaser" (main ingredient is 2-butoxyethanol), the dried and
sticky grease still isn't coming off easily.

Is there an even heavier duty grease cleaner?

Ammonia water, detergent, and alcohol work pretty well, at least when I mix
them up myself. *You could always try simple green, which works pretty well
also.

Beyond that, lye or mineral spirits.

Jon

The "purple" industrial degreaser (Zep found at Depot, among others) is
very heavy duty and works very well. I strongly recommend wearing
nitrile gloves when using it unless you like to dissolve your hands. It
took the heavy grease buildup off a Hobart commercial mixer in seconds
flat when other cleaners wouldn't even touch it.- Hide quoted text -

It is also pretty good dissolving soot buildup on glass fireplace
doors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2011 4:15 PM, bob wrote:
I'm trying to clean the grease off the range hood. Even using a "pro 409
degreaser" (main ingredient is 2-butoxyethanol), the dried and sticky grease
still isn't coming off easily.

Is there an even heavier duty grease cleaner?

Fantastic and mineral spirits (NOT MIXED) work well, and the m.s.
probably is less damaging especially to painted surfaces or glass. A
razor blade scraper for really heavy gunk - toothpicks or wood skewers
work nicely for the built-up stuff in edges and corners.

What's the hood made of?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had some success with simple green, or with oven
cleaner. Ideally, you can unscrew the hood, take it
outdoors. Spray it generously with oven cleaner. Wait five
minutes, rinse.

In the outdoors department is power washer, might work.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"bob" wrote in message
b.com...
I'm trying to clean the grease off the range hood. Even
using a "pro 409
degreaser" (main ingredient is 2-butoxyethanol), the dried
and sticky grease
still isn't coming off easily.

Is there an even heavier duty grease cleaner?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
"Pete C." wrote:

The "purple" industrial degreaser (Zep found at Depot, among others) is
very heavy duty and works very well.

Yep. That ****'ll take the spots off a Zebra. Wait ...I mean, uh ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2011 2:11 PM Pete C. spake thus:

Jon Danniken wrote:

bob wrote:

I'm trying to clean the grease off the range hood. Even using a
"pro 409 degreaser" (main ingredient is 2-butoxyethanol), the
dried and sticky grease still isn't coming off easily.

Is there an even heavier duty grease cleaner?

Ammonia water, detergent, and alcohol work pretty well, at least when I mix
them up myself. You could always try simple green, which works pretty well
also.

Beyond that, lye or mineral spirits.

The "purple" industrial degreaser (Zep found at Depot, among others) is
very heavy duty and works very well. I strongly recommend wearing
nitrile gloves when using it unless you like to dissolve your hands. It
took the heavy grease buildup off a Hobart commercial mixer in seconds
flat when other cleaners wouldn't even touch it.

Instead of using strong strong caustics to cut the grease, I agree with
the previous poster: just wash it off using solvent. Either paint
thinner (mineral spirits) or naphtha (like charcoal lighter, close
enough for gov't work). Of course, you'll need "adequate ventilation"
and all, but it will simply soften and dissolve the grease, allowing it
to be wiped away. After that, of course, you'll need to use a strong
cleaner to remove the last of it, but you'll be able to get 90% of it
easily with solvent.

Oh, and don't try lacquer thinner, acetone, etc.: while that'll work
great, it's overkill, and is bad stuff (give me headaches). Stick to
safer oil-based solvents.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2011 3:15 PM, bob wrote:
I'm trying to clean the grease off the range hood. Even using a "pro 409
degreaser" (main ingredient is 2-butoxyethanol), the dried and sticky grease
still isn't coming off easily.

Is there an even heavier duty grease cleaner?

if it's stainless, then ezoff oven cleaner. and not that lo-oder crap.

if it's aluminum or painted, then i don't have a suggestion.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2011 11:54 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/4/2011 4:49 PM spake thus:

On 1/4/2011 4:15 PM, bob wrote:

I'm trying to clean the grease off the range hood. Even using a
"pro 409 degreaser" (main ingredient is 2-butoxyethanol), the dried
and sticky grease still isn't coming off easily.

Is there an even heavier duty grease cleaner?

Fantastic and mineral spirits (NOT MIXED) work well, and the m.s.
probably is less damaging especially to painted surfaces or glass. A
razor blade scraper for really heavy gunk - toothpicks or wood skewers
work nicely for the built-up stuff in edges and corners.

Ugh: all good, except for ixnay on the razor blade scraper. Why should
you have to scrape grease? It won't be hardened like it will on a range
top; after softening with solvent (mineral spirits, etc.), you should be
able to just wipe it off.

Well, depending on it's history and previous cleaning, there could be
gunk in corners or along moldings....lots of globbies can hide on the
underside of a range hood....razor blade scrapers are my favorite tool
....good for built-up grease, stuff burn onto inside of oven window,
paint splatters, cutting a smooth edge on windows painted by shaky
hands, etc. I ruined two ranges before I figured out that lye was pretty
bad for appliances. When I repainted my 35 y/o range hood, I used the
razor to make a quick job of cleaning it - it was worn through the
original paint in places, so there was no damage to be done. Some
Rustoleum primer and enamel in my handy Preval sprayer made it look like
new.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob wrote:
I'm trying to clean the grease off the range hood. Even using a "pro 409
degreaser" (main ingredient is 2-butoxyethanol), the dried and sticky grease
still isn't coming off easily.

Is there an even heavier duty grease cleaner?

Hot water and washing soda (not baking soda) and a plastic scrubby is
next. Then full strength sudsy ammonia. Next is non-lye (amine)
spray oven cleaner. The strongest is lye or caustic oven cleaner
(same thing.) These may not be good for the enamel paint.

-Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2011 5:15 AM spake thus:

On 1/4/2011 11:54 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 1/4/2011 4:49 PM
spake thus:

Fantastic and mineral spirits (NOT MIXED) work well, and the m.s.
probably is less damaging especially to painted surfaces or
glass. A razor blade scraper for really heavy gunk - toothpicks
or wood skewers work nicely for the built-up stuff in edges and
corners.

Ugh: all good, except for ixnay on the razor blade scraper. Why
should you have to scrape grease? It won't be hardened like it will
on a range top; after softening with solvent (mineral spirits,
etc.), you should be able to just wipe it off.

Well, depending on it's history and previous cleaning, there could be
gunk in corners or along moldings....lots of globbies can hide on
the underside of a range hood....

Well, that's why [insert name of deity here] made toothbrushes, to have
old ones around for getting gunk out of corners.

If it were me, I'd really rather not be scraping the metal surface of my
range hood with a razor blade. (It's true that they're great on glass,
as you say, so they're good for getting hardened gunk off oven doors, etc.)

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-01-04, bob wrote:
I'm trying to clean the grease off the range hood. Even using a "pro 409
degreaser" (main ingredient is 2-butoxyethanol), the dried and sticky grease
still isn't coming off easily.

Is there an even heavier duty grease cleaner?

Wow! 409 is the monster of degreasers, IMO. If the grease is so old
and dried, etc, move up to Easy Off oven cleaner. Make sure there is
no exposed alum, as EO will etch it away. For ss and enameled
surfaces, it will do the trick. If not, buy new hood or call in a
sandblaster!

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-01-04, bob wrote:

I'm trying to clean the grease off the range hood. Even using a "pro 409
degreaser" (main ingredient is 2-butoxyethanol), the dried and sticky grease
still isn't coming off easily.

Is there an even heavier duty grease cleaner?

Wow! *409 is the monster of degreasers, IMO. *If the grease is so old
and dried, etc, move up to Easy Off oven cleaner. *Make sure there is
no exposed alum, as EO will etch it away. *For ss and enameled
surfaces, it will do the trick. *If not, buy new hood or call in a
sandblaster! *

nb *

I luse Greased Lightning.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mean Green

scotto
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 12:18:16 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson

On 2011-01-04, bob wrote:

I'm trying to clean the grease off the range hood. Even using a "pro 409
degreaser" (main ingredient is 2-butoxyethanol), the dried and sticky grease
still isn't coming off easily.

Is there an even heavier duty grease cleaner?

Wow! Â*409 is the monster of degreasers, IMO. Â*If the grease is so old
and dried, etc, move up to Easy Off oven cleaner. Â*Make sure there is
no exposed alum, as EO will etch it away. Â*For ss and enameled
surfaces, it will do the trick. Â*If not, buy new hood or call in a
sandblaster! Â*

nb Â*

I luse Greased Lightning.

Never tackled a range hood, but first thing that came to mind was Goop
or Go-Jo, which I use to clean my hands of all sorts or automotive
grease.
But maybe it won't work on dried vegatable/meat oils.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob" wrote in message
b.com...

I'm trying to clean the grease off the range hood. Even using a "pro 409
degreaser" (main ingredient is 2-butoxyethanol), the dried and sticky
grease still isn't coming off easily.

Is there an even heavier duty grease cleaner?

Get yourself a steam cleaner, they replace an infinity of elbow grease and
chemicals.

I recommend getting the biggest water tank possible, saves time waiting for
the unit to cool down so you can refill it and then heat up the water again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote in
:

On 2011-01-04, bob wrote:

I'm trying to clean the grease off the range hood. Even using a
"pro 40

9
degreaser" (main ingredient is 2-butoxyethanol), the dried and
sticky g

rease
still isn't coming off easily.

Is there an even heavier duty grease cleaner?

Wow! *409 is the monster of degreasers, IMO. *If the grease is so old
and dried, etc, move up to Easy Off oven cleaner. *Make sure there is
no exposed alum, as EO will etch it away. *For ss and enameled
surfaces, it will do the trick. *If not, buy new hood or call in a
sandblaster! *

nb *

I luse Greased Lightning.

HB

I never thought you to be a luser.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2011 2:33 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/5/2011 5:15 AM spake thus:

[...]

Steel wool with m.s. also works well...gotta balance the potential
damage against how badly the stuff is caked on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

LART!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message

I luse Greased Lightning.

HB

I never thought you to be a luser.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-01-04, wrote:

I'm trying to clean the grease off the range hood. Even using a "pro 409
degreaser" (main ingredient is 2-butoxyethanol), the dried and sticky grease
still isn't coming off easily.

Is there an even heavier duty grease cleaner?

Wow! 409 is the monster of degreasers, IMO. If the grease is so old
and dried, etc, move up to Easy Off oven cleaner. Make sure there is
no exposed alum, as EO will etch it away. For ss and enameled
surfaces, it will do the trick. If not, buy new hood or call in a
sandblaster!

nb

I luse Greased Lightning.

Never tackled a range hood, but first thing that came to mind was Goop
or Go-Jo, which I use to clean my hands of all sorts or automotive
grease.
But maybe it won't work on dried vegatable/meat oils.

--Vic

Dried oil is basically varnish...think linseed/oil paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 11:38 am, wrote:
On 2011-01-04, wrote:

[...]

Isn't this what those shoulder-bag steam cleaners were marketed for? Do
they still sell those?

If it is really bad, rent a steam jenny, and have a helper hold a
long-wanded wet-dry vac near the work surface? Protective gear is called
for- you can cook with those things. A diner I use to eat at had a big
exhaust hood over the grill that looked copper plated or painted. One
day, it suddenly looked like stainless steel again. I asked if they got
a new one, and they said that somebody (Insurance company? Fire marshal?
Health inspector?) made them get it cleaned.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 4, 2011 at 3:11:23 PM UTC-7, Pete C. wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:

bob wrote:
I'm trying to clean the grease off the range hood. Even using a "pro
409 degreaser" (main ingredient is 2-butoxyethanol), the dried and
sticky grease still isn't coming off easily.

Is there an even heavier duty grease cleaner?

Ammonia water, detergent, and alcohol work pretty well, at least when I mix
them up myself. You could always try simple green, which works pretty well
also.

Beyond that, lye or mineral spirits.

Jon

The "purple" industrial degreaser (Zep found at Depot, among others) is
very heavy duty and works very well. I strongly recommend wearing
nitrile gloves when using it unless you like to dissolve your hands. It
took the heavy grease buildup off a Hobart commercial mixer in seconds
flat when other cleaners wouldn't even touch it.

Does "purple" Zep work on walls (near the range) without damaging the paint?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:

bob wrote:
[...]

Greased lightning, mean green, dawn, Castrol Super Clean.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Get a product called Goo Gone Kitchen Degreaser . It is a clinging foam and has no harsh ingredients. You need a bit of elbow grease too but it is a very good product. If you got interested, check out the reviews on it and other kitchen degreasers here https://productadvisor.com/best-kitchen-degreaser/ . I recently had to clean a kitchen up that had not been cleaned for years (not mine) and this product was all I needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oven monster is the strongest stuff I have ever found and I have tried a lot of them. Just make sure you wear gloves and have adequate ventilation.