Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default What's the heaviest duty kitchen grease cleaner?

On 1/5/2011 8:57 PM, wrote:
On 1/5/2011 3:50 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 12:18:16 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson

On 2011-01-04, wrote:

I'm trying to clean the grease off the range hood. Even using a
"pro 409
degreaser" (main ingredient is 2-butoxyethanol), the dried and
sticky grease
still isn't coming off easily.

Is there an even heavier duty grease cleaner?

Wow! 409 is the monster of degreasers, IMO. If the grease is so old
and dried, etc, move up to Easy Off oven cleaner. Make sure there is
no exposed alum, as EO will etch it away. For ss and enameled
surfaces, it will do the trick. If not, buy new hood or call in a
sandblaster!

nb

I luse Greased Lightning.

Never tackled a range hood, but first thing that came to mind was Goop
or Go-Jo, which I use to clean my hands of all sorts or automotive
grease.
But maybe it won't work on dried vegatable/meat oils.

--Vic

Dried oil is basically varnish...think linseed/oil paint.

Isn't this what those shoulder-bag steam cleaners were marketed for? Do
they still sell those?

If it is really bad, rent a steam jenny, and have a helper hold a
long-wanded wet-dry vac near the work surface? Protective gear is called
for- you can cook with those things. A diner I use to eat at had a big
exhaust hood over the grill that looked copper plated or painted. One
day, it suddenly looked like stainless steel again. I asked if they got
a new one, and they said that somebody (Insurance company? Fire marshal?
Health inspector?) made them get it cleaned.

--
aem sends...