Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default What's the heaviest duty kitchen grease cleaner?

On 1/5/2011 2:33 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/5/2011 5:15 AM spake thus:

On 1/4/2011 11:54 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 1/4/2011 4:49 PM
spake thus:

Fantastic and mineral spirits (NOT MIXED) work well, and the m.s.
probably is less damaging especially to painted surfaces or
glass. A razor blade scraper for really heavy gunk - toothpicks
or wood skewers work nicely for the built-up stuff in edges and
corners.

Ugh: all good, except for ixnay on the razor blade scraper. Why
should you have to scrape grease? It won't be hardened like it will
on a range top; after softening with solvent (mineral spirits,
etc.), you should be able to just wipe it off.

Well, depending on it's history and previous cleaning, there could be
gunk in corners or along moldings....lots of globbies can hide on
the underside of a range hood....

Well, that's why [insert name of deity here] made toothbrushes, to have
old ones around for getting gunk out of corners.

If it were me, I'd really rather not be scraping the metal surface of my
range hood with a razor blade. (It's true that they're great on glass,
as you say, so they're good for getting hardened gunk off oven doors, etc.)

Steel wool with m.s. also works well...gotta balance the potential
damage against how badly the stuff is caked on.