Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Door plate/bar?

I got a new glass pantry door. It swings both ways, and is etched glass
inside a 5-6" wide wood frame. I have stained and varnished the frame. I
would like to put either two door plates or two bars, one on either side to
push on instead of the glass or the wood. Anyone know of a source for
these, or the terminology of what the bars may be called? Or any other
names of the door plates?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 11:04*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I got a new glass pantry door. *It swings both ways, and is etched glass
inside a 5-6" wide wood frame. *I have stained and varnished the frame. *I
would like to put either two door plates or two bars, one on either side to
push on instead of the glass or the wood. *Anyone know of a source for
these, or the terminology of what the bars may be called? *Or any other
names of the door plates?

Steve

Door Push Plates and Door Push Bars

Google those terms for many a result.

Grainger is just one of the many places that carry them.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/doo...ecatalog/N-9b7
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 11:04*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I got a new glass pantry door. *It swings both ways, and is etched glass
inside a 5-6" wide wood frame. *I have stained and varnished the frame. *I
would like to put either two door plates or two bars, one on either side to
push on instead of the glass or the wood. *Anyone know of a source for
these, or the terminology of what the bars may be called? *Or any other
names of the door plates?

I'm pretty sure you're talking about metal plates, but if the door is
nice enough, you could use a glass push plate. They're kind of old
timey but still fresh and you don't hide the wood. The objective is
really just to give people a target to land their hands on a nice,
easy to clean surface.

First link I clicked - I'm sure you can get them cheaper.
http://www.rejuvenation.com/fixshow7...election.phtml

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 11:40*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Jan 3, 11:04*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

I got a new glass pantry door. *It swings both ways, and is etched glass
inside a 5-6" wide wood frame. *I have stained and varnished the frame. *I
would like to put either two door plates or two bars, one on either side to
push on instead of the glass or the wood. *Anyone know of a source for
these, or the terminology of what the bars may be called? *Or any other
names of the door plates?

I'm pretty sure you're talking about metal plates, but if the door is
nice enough, you could use a glass push plate. *They're kind of old
timey but still fresh and you don't hide the wood. *The objective is
really just to give people a target to land their hands on a nice,
easy to clean surface.

First link I clicked - I'm sure you can get them cheaper.
http://www.rejuvenation.com/fixshow7...election.phtml

Here's the second link - they have some astronomically priced ones,
and some that are certainly affordable.
http://houseofantiquehardware.com/s....category.56/.f

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/3/2011 8:04 PM Steve B spake thus:

I got a new glass pantry door. It swings both ways, and is etched glass
inside a 5-6" wide wood frame. I have stained and varnished the frame. I
would like to put either two door plates or two bars, one on either side to
push on instead of the glass or the wood. Anyone know of a source for
these, or the terminology of what the bars may be called? Or any other
names of the door plates?

Vintage push plates from Van Dyke's Restorers:
http://www.vandykes.com/category/push-pull-plates

Some more from Rejuvenation (a little cheaper):
http://www.rejuvenation.com/typepage...rts_group.html

Warning: not cheap.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote the following:
I got a new glass pantry door. It swings both ways,

Is that called a bisexual door? :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Your local glass supplier/outlet should have appropriate handles/push
plates in stock.... where you got the etched glass from (if you didn't
buy the whole door unit off the shelf at a Big Box store).

Sonny
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sonny" wrote in message
Your local glass supplier/outlet should have appropriate handles/push
plates in stock.... where you got the etched glass from (if you didn't
buy the whole door unit off the shelf at a Big Box store).

Sonny

Yeah, it was from the Borg, and for what they wanted elsewhere, this one
really looks nice with the light on in the pantry behind it. They wanted
something ridiculous for swinging hinges, but we found one that works at the
bottom that allows it to be pushed open in either direction, and a lot less
money.

I believe I will watch ebay auctions till I can get something vintage for
reasonable. Currently a pair of brass plates on there for $10 current bid.
The new stuff is way too much.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 10:04*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I got a new glass pantry door. *It swings both ways, and is etched glass
inside a 5-6" wide wood frame. *I have stained and varnished the frame. *I
would like to put either two door plates or two bars, one on either side to
push on instead of the glass or the wood. *Anyone know of a source for
these, or the terminology of what the bars may be called? *Or any other
names of the door plates?

Steve

there are some new door handles for kithen cabinet that look like push/
pull bars that are brushed stainless steel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 11:04*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I got a new glass pantry door. *It swings both ways, and is etched glass
inside a 5-6" wide wood frame. *I have stained and varnished the frame. *I
would like to put either two door plates or two bars, one on either side to
push on instead of the glass or the wood. *Anyone know of a source for
these, or the terminology of what the bars may be called? *Or any other
names of the door plates?

Steve

You should have built this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVtB2Lrd1vg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Make your own!

Can you turn a door knob, to possibly match (design-wise) any existing
drawer pulls? Or make your own push plate, since you've stained the
door frame, you know what color and finish to use.... or use a
contrasting/coordinating color (match the hinges, if they are
exposed)?

Will a piece of copper sheeting work (match), edges sanded/filed and
polished with 1000+ grit sand paper.... or some other readily
available matching metal sheet/plate?

Sonny
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 4, 12:45*pm, Sonny wrote:
Make your own!

snip

Or have a sheet metal shop cut a pair of plates of 0.040" stainless
steel. Clean the back surface with alcohol, dry and coat with silicone
transparent sealant and stick in place with masking tape until it sets
up. Should last for years.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2011 9:26 PM Joe spake thus:

On Jan 4, 12:45 pm, Sonny wrote:

Make your own!

snip

Or have a sheet metal shop cut a pair of plates of 0.040" stainless
steel. Clean the back surface with alcohol, dry and coat with silicone
transparent sealant and stick in place with masking tape until it sets
up. Should last for years.

.... except that such plates probably won't have really nice edges,
unless you pay extra for them to carefully dress them. Sheet metal shops
tend to leave either raw cut edges, or just hastily run a die grinder or
something over them. Not exactly the finished look you probably want.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 5, 1:03*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:

snip

Or have a sheet metal shop cut a pair of plates of 0.040" stainless
steel. Clean the back surface with alcohol, dry and coat with silicone
transparent sealant and stick in place with masking tape until it sets
up. Should last for years.

... except that such plates probably won't have really nice edges,
unless you pay extra for them to carefully dress them. Sheet metal shops
tend to leave either raw cut edges, or just hastily run a die grinder or
something over them. Not exactly the finished look you probably want.

David, your sheet metal people must be some real clods to not to be
able to cut stainless with a virtually burr free edge and at zero
extra cost. I have used SS on back splashes, whatever, for years and
no such aberrations have ever been present in the things I ordered. In
fact, most shops can put an almost unnoticeable bend near the edges
that ensures total flat contact with the substrate. If you have really
had such a bad experience as you suggest, best look through the Yellow
pages for a better shop. From my personal experience in CA (way south
of you) there are some fine journeymen in the sheet metal trades. So,
having been there, done that with SS scuff plates and such, I'lI stand
by my suggestion that it is a cost effective way to do a project.

Joe