Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kick plate on an entry door?

As I managed to get more paint off these steel entry doors, I was
finding small holes near the bottom. I wondered what had been screwed
there, and it suddenly struck me that there used to be kick plates.

So now I am wondering: What are the advantages and disadvantages of
having kick plates. I think they might look attractive, but . . . Most
of the rough spots and rusty patches are in the area where the kick
plates were, suggesting that moisture accumulated in the gap between the
plates and the surface of the doors and caused them to rust -- but I
suppose one could using caulking compound in between to prevent this.
Any other disadvantages?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 20:09:00 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

As I managed to get more paint off these steel entry doors, I was
finding small holes near the bottom. I wondered what had been screwed
there, and it suddenly struck me that there used to be kick plates.

So now I am wondering: What are the advantages and disadvantages of
having kick plates. I think they might look attractive, but . . . Most
of the rough spots and rusty patches are in the area where the kick
plates were, suggesting that moisture accumulated in the gap between the
plates and the surface of the doors and caused them to rust -- but I
suppose one could using caulking compound in between to prevent this.
Any other disadvantages?

Perce

Metal kick plates look good when first installed but look bad after
several months due to tarnish.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Putting a kick plate on a steel door doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
A brass kickplate on a wooden door makes more sense, and would look
good in a place where traffic would normally damage a door, such as a
garage or kitchen entry door.

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
As I managed to get more paint off these steel entry doors, I was
finding small holes near the bottom. I wondered what had been screwed
there, and it suddenly struck me that there used to be kick plates.

So now I am wondering: What are the advantages and disadvantages of
having kick plates. I think they might look attractive, but . . . Most
of the rough spots and rusty patches are in the area where the kick
plates were, suggesting that moisture accumulated in the gap between the
plates and the surface of the doors and caused them to rust -- but I
suppose one could using caulking compound in between to prevent this.
Any other disadvantages?

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kick plates are normal whenever there is a closer on the door.
The kick plate is there to protect the door from the normal
tendency to use your foot to assist opening the door against the
power of the closer. Steel doors are normally painted, so you
need to protect the paint. Wood doors need it more so. Most kick
plates have gone to a plastic/Formica type like these:
http://professional.iveshardware.com.../door_trim.pdf
scroll down to page C14

Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)