Posted to alt.home.repair

Default adding an audio jack to an electrical box

Hi,

I have a two gang box. I would like to replace it with a three gang box
where the third slot is occupied by an audio jack (the idea being that
audio out on my computer goes to the jack and the audio wire in the wall
runs to the amp). Is that a big no-no from the electrical code point of
view to combine electrical and comm in a single box?

Thanks,

Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a two gang box. I would like to replace it with a three gang box
where the third slot is occupied by an audio jack (the idea being that
audio out on my computer goes to the jack and the audio wire in the wall
runs to the amp). Is that a big no-no from the electrical code point of
view to combine electrical and comm in a single box?

Thanks,

Sam

I don't know (or care) what code says about it with regard to safety, but
you're definitely running the risk of picking up electrical noise from the
AC line. The risk may be minor, but since you have room for a 3-gang box, it
seems worth the extra effort to just use a separate box. A metal one,
obviously.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 24, 3:21*pm, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

I have a two gang box. I would like to replace it with a three gang box
where the third slot is occupied by an audio jack (the idea being that
audio out on my computer goes to the jack and the audio wire in the wall
runs to the amp). Is that a big no-no from the electrical code point of
view to combine electrical and comm in a single box?

Thanks,

Sam

The NEC says that you can’t have anything over 30 volts sharing the
same space as anything under 30 volts; the logic behind it being that
if the low voltage line has the potential of being energized with high
voltage if anything goes wrong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam Takoy wrote:

Hi,

I have a two gang box. I would like to replace it with a three gang box
where the third slot is occupied by an audio jack (the idea being that
audio out on my computer goes to the jack and the audio wire in the wall
runs to the amp). Is that a big no-no from the electrical code point of
view to combine electrical and comm in a single box?

Thanks,

Sam

Yes, it's a no-no to mix line voltage and low voltage in the same box
without a separator. They make special boxes for that type of
application, or the easier thing it to just keep the LV separate
entirely. The LV doesn't require a full box, and there are several
varieties of LV remodel "rings" available that dress the opening and
provide the mounting holes for a device, but leave the rest open so you
aren't wrestling and kinking coax or other LV cables.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Absolutely, it is a super NO-NO. Code does not allow any low volt
wiring in the same enclosure or raceways with voltage carrying
conductors.

Wiremold does make a divided raceway that may be of interest to
you:
http://www.legrand.us/

look for multi channel raceway.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a two gang box. I would like to replace it with a three
gang box where the third slot is occupied by an audio jack (the
idea being that audio out on my computer goes to the jack and
the audio wire in the wall runs to the amp). Is that a big no-no
from the electrical code point of view to combine electrical and
comm in a single box?

Thanks,

Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

DanG wrote:

Absolutely, it is a super NO-NO. Code does not allow any low volt
wiring in the same enclosure or raceways with voltage carrying
conductors.

Not entirely true. LV and line voltage can indeed be in the same
enclosure under some conditions i.e. energy management such as remote
controllable circuit breakers, line current monitors, lighting dimmers
and various other situations. Where they don't mix is in receptacle and
switch boxes where they don't directly relate to the device in the box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/2010 06:37 PM, Molly Brown wrote:
On Dec 24, 3:21 pm, Sam wrote:
Hi,

I have a two gang box. I would like to replace it with a three gang box
where the third slot is occupied by an audio jack (the idea being that
audio out on my computer goes to the jack and the audio wire in the wall
runs to the amp). Is that a big no-no from the electrical code point of
view to combine electrical and comm in a single box?

Thanks,

Sam

The NEC says that you can’t have anything over 30 volts sharing the
same space as anything under 30 volts; the logic behind it being that
if the low voltage line has the potential of being energized with high
voltage if anything goes wrong.

they do make separators, but Molly is correct

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 18:28:17 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a two gang box. I would like to replace it with a three gang box
where the third slot is occupied by an audio jack (the idea being that
audio out on my computer goes to the jack and the audio wire in the wall
runs to the amp). Is that a big no-no from the electrical code point of
view to combine electrical and comm in a single box?

Thanks,

Sam

I don't know (or care) what code says about it with regard to safety, but
you're definitely running the risk of picking up electrical noise from the
AC line. The risk may be minor, but since you have room for a 3-gang box, it
seems worth the extra effort to just use a separate box. A metal one,
obviously.

Not only that, but for an audio jack, you don't even need a box, Sam.
You can just cut a little hole in the sheetrock, anywhere but above a
stud, buy a blank plate, drill the right hole, and mount the jack to
the plate.

Or you can buy pre-made plates with the jacks you need, and drill
holes in the corner for more jacks when needed. Like speakers, audio
output, phone, phone neon light to show when it's ringing, antenna
cable

They also sell plates that are "undefined". They are meant for wires,
several at a time, instead of terminating at the plate, which can be a
real nuisance. If you're not going to be moving your equipment and/or
furniture often, it may be simpler to have the wire in the wall come
out of thw wall and go out of the way to the amplifier, tuner, or
whatever. No extra parts, no connections to cause trouble (do they
ever cause trouble?) and only the cost of 2 or 3 feet more wire, which
you might have used anyhow.

They are in standard wall-plate colors, have upside-down scoops, sort
of like round awnings, so you can't see inside the wall unless you
bend down and put your eye lower than the plate. Then you can run
several cables of any sort into the wall going under the awning and
through the hole you make behind the plate. I've only seen these
all-purpose plates one place, at one of the companies that sells
Multi-channel Modulators** I can probably find them, either in my
bookmarks or back at the original webpage if you want them. Because
for a while i thought I was going to have to run video and two
channels of audio from my computer to my DVDR/TV distribution hub. So
let me know, preferably by posting here and emailing me too. (Remove
NOPSAM).

**(RF modulators that will take a digital tv signal and turn it into
channel 3 or 4 like everything uses, or into channel 8 or 20 or 21 or
almost any channel VHF/UHF channel there is, so that it is far enough
from channel 3 that you can run two different chanlels at the same
time on the same co-ax and your tv will be able to tune to each of
them. (When you run one on channel 3 and one on channel 4, there is
usually interference and a terrible picture for both.)

25 years ago, I bought a phone-jack plate with built-in jack, and I
intended to use it just for a handset, next to the bathtub. So I
drilled a hole and mounted a toggle switch, to "answer" the phone
with. Later I drilled a hole and put in a neon light so I could tell
when the phone was "ringing". Because I didnt' want a noise maker
that would wake me up when I was in bed. I didn't use a whole phone,
just a handset, that I hung from a ribbon that also went around a
towel bar. Still later I put in a buzzer and a switch to turn it on
and off with. I changed the modular plug on the coiled-cord to
better fit the wall jack. I don't get so many phone calls anymore,
but it was great for 10 or 15 years. I only answered between rings.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 23:33:17 -0500, mm
wrote:

Or you can buy pre-made plates with the jacks you need, and drill
holes in the corner for more jacks when needed. Like speakers, audio
output, phone, phone neon light to show when it's ringing, antenna
cable

Oh, and they also have modular wall plates, with various numbers of
square holes and your choice of jacks to go in the holes. This is
probably more expensive though, and doesn't have the personal touch.

You don't need a box for anything except house current, electricity,
if I have paid attention, because the box is there to keep fire in it,
and not let it get out and burn down your wall or house.

None of the other things people have in their walls can start a fire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a two gang box. I would like to replace it with a three gang box
where the third slot is occupied by an audio jack (the idea being that
audio out on my computer goes to the jack and the audio wire in the wall
runs to the amp). Is that a big no-no from the electrical code point of
view to combine electrical and comm in a single box?

Thanks,

Sam

I don't know (or care) what code says about it with regard to safety, but
you're definitely running the risk of picking up electrical noise from the
AC line. The risk may be minor, but since you have room for a 3-gang box, it
seems worth the extra effort to just use a separate box. A metal one,
obviously.

Simpler is to just add a low voltage wall port - no box - and keep the
audio cable out of the box completely.