Posted to sci.electronics.repair
iazz

Default Audio jack identification

Hi,

The audio jack in my laptop (a sony vaio z1) died and I would like to
replace it. I checked the digikey catalog but could not determine whether
they have a compatible model.

I thought maybe if I provided some pictures, someone could help me
identify its type.

Pictures are he http://www.lri.fr/~ig/connector . The faulty jack is
the green one.

On the first two pictures, I've taken the little removable plastic
ring off the jack's head.

I presume there are four pins, but can't be sure, since it sits on the
mainboard which is quite a pain to dismantle.

Thanks
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Travis Jordan

iazz wrote:
Hi,

The audio jack in my laptop (a sony vaio z1) died and I would like to
replace it. I checked the digikey catalog but could not determine
whether they have a compatible model.

What makes you think the problem is the jack? Did it physically break?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
iazz

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 19:06:16 +0000, Travis Jordan wrote:

iazz wrote:
Hi,

The audio jack in my laptop (a sony vaio z1) died and I would like to
replace it. I checked the digikey catalog but could not determine
whether they have a compatible model.

What makes you think the problem is the jack? Did it physically break?

Ah, yes, I suppose so.

When I plug headphones, the main speakers don't mute anymore and
in the headphones I can hear what sounds very much like the difference
between the two channels in mono (probably the jack now connects one
channel to both outs and the other to the ground). When the phones are
unplugged, the sound coming out of the main speakers is okay.

The little blades inside must be broken.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
webpa

When I plug headphones, the main speakers don't mute anymore and
in the headphones I can hear what sounds very much like the difference
between the two channels in mono (probably the jack now connects one
channel to both outs and the other to the ground). When the phones are
unplugged, the sound coming out of the main speakers is okay.

The little blades inside must be broken.

No matter what, you are going to have to disassembly the machine to
reach the bottom of the motherboard...or cut a hole through the case
just under the jack. If you do the later...expect another layer of PCB
and/or a metal shield (or maybe nothing). You may well find that the
jack is NOT physically broken...that the solder joints have come loose
("cold solder joint") and that a touch with a soldering iron will fix
the problem. Be aware that the motherboard may to a multi-layer device
(anywhere from 2 to 7 layers)...so surgical soldering technique is
mandatory. Good luck...you are going to need it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
iazz

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:53:48 -0700, webpa wrote:

No matter what, you are going to have to disassembly the machine to reach
the bottom of the motherboard...or cut a hole through the case just under
the jack. If you do the later...expect another layer of PCB and/or a metal
shield (or maybe nothing). You may well find that the jack is NOT
physically broken...that the solder joints have come loose ("cold solder
joint") and that a touch with a soldering iron will fix the problem. Be
aware that the motherboard may to a multi-layer device (anywhere from 2 to
7 layers)...so surgical soldering technique is mandatory. Good luck...you
are going to need it.

Well, in fact the disassembly is pretty trivial, no need to cut holes. =)

As for the jack being broken or not, I have inspected it very thoroughly
and the solder joints are okay.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

iazz wrote:
Hi,

The audio jack in my laptop (a sony vaio z1) died and I would like to
replace it. I checked the digikey catalog but could not determine
whether they have a compatible model.

What makes you think the problem is the jack? Did it physically break?

Ah, yes, I suppose so.

When I plug headphones, the main speakers don't mute anymore and
in the headphones I can hear what sounds very much like the difference
between the two channels in mono (probably the jack now connects one
channel to both outs and the other to the ground). When the phones are
unplugged, the sound coming out of the main speakers is okay.

The little blades inside must be broken.

Since the main speakers are working, have you thought about checking
to see if you could addl a new jack but still keep the "broken" one?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ryan Weihl

iazz wrote:

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:53:48 -0700, webpa wrote:

No matter what, you are going to have to disassembly the machine to
reach the bottom of the motherboard...or cut a hole through the
case just under the jack. If you do the later...expect another
layer of PCB and/or a metal shield (or maybe nothing). You may
well find that the jack is NOT physically broken...that the solder
joints have come loose ("cold solder joint") and that a touch with
a soldering iron will fix the problem. Be aware that the
motherboard may to a multi-layer device (anywhere from 2 to 7
layers)...so surgical soldering technique is mandatory. Good
luck...you are going to need it.

Well, in fact the disassembly is pretty trivial, no need to cut
holes. =)

As for the jack being broken or not, I have inspected it very
thoroughly and the solder joints are okay.

did you check the headphones on another setup?
rw

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA

These are not standard jacks that you will find at most parts suppliers. You
would have to find a way to substitute them.

The other alternative to have the computer properly serviced, is to let the
factory rep service it. They have access to the original parts, under
agreement with the manufacture of the computer.

In many cases, they change the complete board to service any component
problems on the board.

--

JANA
_____

"iazz" wrote in message
news Hi,

The audio jack in my laptop (a sony vaio z1) died and I would like to
replace it. I checked the digikey catalog but could not determine whether
they have a compatible model.

I thought maybe if I provided some pictures, someone could help me
identify its type.

Pictures are he http://www.lri.fr/~ig/connector . The faulty jack is
the green one.

On the first two pictures, I've taken the little removable plastic
ring off the jack's head.

I presume there are four pins, but can't be sure, since it sits on the
mainboard which is quite a pain to dismantle.

Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
iazz

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 00:48:03 +0000, Ryan Weihl wrote:

did you check the headphones on another setup? rw

=)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
iazz

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 00:26:18 -0400, JANA wrote:

These are not standard jacks that you will find at most parts suppliers.
You would have to find a way to substitute them.

I see, thanks.

The other alternative to have the computer properly serviced, is to let
the factory rep service it. They have access to the original parts, under
agreement with the manufacture of the computer.

In many cases, they change the complete board to service any component
problems on the board.

And that's the point. The machine not being under warranty anymore, it
would just be way too expensive. Too bad. :/