Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default adding an audio jack to an electrical box

Sam Takoy wrote:

Hi,

I have a two gang box. I would like to replace it with a three gang box
where the third slot is occupied by an audio jack (the idea being that
audio out on my computer goes to the jack and the audio wire in the wall
runs to the amp). Is that a big no-no from the electrical code point of
view to combine electrical and comm in a single box?

Thanks,

Sam

Yes, it's a no-no to mix line voltage and low voltage in the same box
without a separator. They make special boxes for that type of
application, or the easier thing it to just keep the LV separate
entirely. The LV doesn't require a full box, and there are several
varieties of LV remodel "rings" available that dress the opening and
provide the mounting holes for a device, but leave the rest open so you
aren't wrestling and kinking coax or other LV cables.