Posted to alt.home.repair

Default adding an audio jack to an electrical box

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 18:28:17 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a two gang box. I would like to replace it with a three gang box
where the third slot is occupied by an audio jack (the idea being that
audio out on my computer goes to the jack and the audio wire in the wall
runs to the amp). Is that a big no-no from the electrical code point of
view to combine electrical and comm in a single box?

Thanks,

Sam

I don't know (or care) what code says about it with regard to safety, but
you're definitely running the risk of picking up electrical noise from the
AC line. The risk may be minor, but since you have room for a 3-gang box, it
seems worth the extra effort to just use a separate box. A metal one,
obviously.

Simpler is to just add a low voltage wall port - no box - and keep the
audio cable out of the box completely.