ThinkNotes

Default Adding a Phone Jack & Ensuring DSL Still Works

Hi All:

I would like to add a phone jack to my office but i want to make sure
that the DSL will still work there, as it does in the other rooms that
currently have phone jacks (i.e. those installed professionally by the
phone company).

If i dont want to spend $75 for getting a new jack installed, can i
simply plug some kind of a wire into an existing jack and get that
jack "extended" to another room, without losing any signal quality
(which might impact the DSL availability in the office)

Where does one go to get the stuff to install a phone jack oneself?
Radio Shack or is there a better place? I live in the San Francisco
Bay Area.

Thanks for your help,

Manju
Wade Lippman

You don't want to do any actual wiring, is that it?
Anyplace that sells telephone wiring will have a device that plugs into your
jack and has two jacks on it. Plug an extension into one of them and put it
wherever you want.

Wiring it properly is not much harder. Just connect the red wire to the red
wire on your jack, and the green to the green. Attach a jack to the other
end of the wire and you have it.

MF

Manju,

As long as the phone jack is installed properly it will have no effect on
the DSL, as the DSL and the phone line share the same pair in most cases.
Paying $75 is not a bad price for a phone jack, especially in a high cost of
living area such as yours. That said, installing a phone line generally is
easy but there are many factors. How is the current phone line installed? Is
there a central point that all phone lines go to or is it the classic Daisy
chain install that has been prevalent up to the last few years? Do you have
attic or crawlspace access to an existing phone line you could tap into? Do
you have the ability to drill into the top cap of the wall and snake a phone
wire down (or up) to where you want the jack? You can make some pretty clean
splices into existing phone line. You should go ahead and use some high
quality Cat5e cable, and for splicing some Scotchlok IDC Commununication
Connectors should be used. There are kinds for tap splicing and butt
splicing. These are gel filled and made just for this. DON'T just twist and
wrap with electricians tape. I can probably have you banned from this site
if you use electricians tape. :-) If you take this route, sit down at the
kitchen table and waste a few connectors and some wire making sure you
understand how to use them before crawling under the house or into the
attic.

I suggest you look into someone beyond the phone company that does Low
Voltage and structured wiring. Many of the tools you need for some of this
work they will have. I (ahem) do this stuff, but my price would probably be
in the $1000 range as I would have to buy a plane ticket from Dallas to get
there. Of course, if you hit the Lotto and want me to come out there.....

Anyway, good luck with the project. Let me know how it goes.

Maury
Wylie, TX

"ThinkNotes" wrote in message
om...
Hi All:

I would like to add a phone jack to my office but i want to make sure
that the DSL will still work there, as it does in the other rooms that
currently have phone jacks (i.e. those installed professionally by the
phone company).

If i dont want to spend $75 for getting a new jack installed, can i
simply plug some kind of a wire into an existing jack and get that
jack "extended" to another room, without losing any signal quality
(which might impact the DSL availability in the office)

Where does one go to get the stuff to install a phone jack oneself?
Radio Shack or is there a better place? I live in the San Francisco
Bay Area.

Thanks for your help,

Manju

Maplin Remote Control Via Mobile Phone John Stumbles UK diy 6 January 13th 04 05:30 PM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
How to Clean Copper (oxides?) Telephone Network Interface Box Music Man Metalworking 15 August 25th 03 03:29 AM
2.4Ghz phone vs 900Mhz Spread Spectrum Jerry Greenberg Metalworking 0 July 16th 03 01:33 AM