Posted to alt.home.repair

Default T-111 siding question

I've got the typical tract house out here in Central TX. Built in the '80s
with T-111 siding. The bottom on T-111 tends to rot where it contacts the
bottom moisture. I bought the house 6 years ago with some pretty bad spots
so I cut the offending T-111 off and replaced it. The rest looks fine. I
wonder how many people replace all the siding when only about 6" is actually
bad?

That's not the question. I want to re-do the siding on at least one side of
my house to make it better sound and weather insulated.

The question is: What about weather resistant sheet insulation and new T-111
siding and going over the existing siding (assuming I weather sealed it of
course) and putting on new trim?

Anyone ever done this? Why take the old siding/insulation out/ Why not just
add to what is there and just putting on another layer?

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 10:46*am, "Jim T" wrote:
[...]

Probably not a good idea, you might wind up with multiple vapor
barriers.

Plus how would you accommodate the added wall thickness at the
windows, doors, roof & corners of the house?

methinks it is not typically done this way because the results are not
great.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2010 12:51 PM, DD_BobK wrote:
On Dec 19, 10:46 am, "Jim wrote:
[...]

I think your vapor barrier response is a good point and probably why I
won't do it.

Aesthetically there wouldn't be a problem. The eave of the roof box
completely covers the top of the trim sufficiently to cover the top of
the siding

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim T" wrote in message
net...
[...]

Follow up.

A neighbor of mine is some type of building contractor. I'll ask him. He did
a stucco covering on his siding. I'll ask how he prepared his siding for the
stucco?

Anyone done this sort of thing? Stucco for T-111? (or over T-111?)

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Jim T wrote:
"Jim T" wrote in message
net...
[...]

1. Nail on metal lath (looks like honey comb)

2. Apply stucco

snip

Sounds easy :-)

I'd be worried about the stucco leatching mostiure into the T-111. Use some
sort of moisture barrier? Paint? Remove T-111 and replace with hardie board?
(That doesn't sound easy or cheap)

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 2:36*pm, "Jim T" wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message

Jim T wrote:
"Jim T" wrote in message
stnet...
[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -

people around here add a layer of hard foam insulation, then cover
with vinyl siding, but must re frame around windows, often they
replace these windows at the same time..

heat bills down appearance much improved
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2010 2:00 PM, wrote:
On Dec 19, 2:36 pm, "Jim wrote:
wrote in message

Jim T wrote:
"Jim wrote in message
net...
[...]

I just had argon gas windows installed.
http://www.dycwindows.com/windows/single_hung.asp
The difference is like night and day. If anyone thinks they need this
done, they do :-).

Replacing trim isn't a problem. The siding on my house is butt simple
and under a roof box eave so it only gets moisture towards the bottom.
It's a one story house. The siding stays dry but the foundation leaches
into the t-111. A good water barrier would have to be installed on the
bottom 8" or so. A piece of primed hardie plank would work.

Jim.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Here's a pic of my shop remodel.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/4733385477/

Cut the T111 at a 30° angle and apply a 1-1/2" drip edge along the new
seam. Once you cut the rotten parts off, apply a metal barrier (onto
the studs) that extend a bit below where the new T111 will be placed.
The bottom edge of the replacement T111 should be beveled also, so
that moisture doesn't wick back toward the framing. Prime with oil
base primer, not water based, and prime the back side of the
replacement T111, at least 6" to 10" up (roller width = 9"). Prime
and paint the beveled edges, too, before installation. Screw the
replacement T111 in place..... it will be easier to remove, if it ever
needs to be removed.

My home garage has T111, installed as on the shop. It has remained in
good shape for 20 yrs.

Sonny
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 12:46:10 -0600, "Jim T" wrote:

I've got the typical tract house out here in Central TX. Built in the '80s
with T-111 siding. The bottom on T-111 tends to rot where it contacts the
bottom moisture. I bought the house 6 years ago with some pretty bad spots
so I cut the offending T-111 off and replaced it. The rest looks fine. I
wonder how many people replace all the siding when only about 6" is actually
bad?

Probably lots, but I woudlnt' do it. For me, cutting off 6" would be
an excuse to buy new tools.

That's not the question. I want to re-do the siding on at least one side of
my house to make it better sound and weather insulated.

The question is: What about weather resistant sheet insulation and new T-111
siding and going over the existing siding (assuming I weather sealed it of
course) and putting on new trim?

Anyone ever done this? Why take the old siding/insulation out/ Why not just
add to what is there and just putting on another layer?

Jim

I hate stucco. (not the stucco company that echos this ng, but
stucco in general.) But that's personal taste. I have no objection
to it otherwise.