Posted to alt.home.repair
JimT[_2_] JimT[_2_] is offline

Default T-111 siding question

On 12/19/2010 2:00 PM, wrote:
On Dec 19, 2:36 pm, "Jim wrote:
wrote in message

Jim T wrote:
"Jim wrote in message
net...
I've got the typical tract house out here in Central TX. Built in
the '80s with T-111 siding. The bottom on T-111 tends to rot where
it contacts the bottom moisture. I bought the house 6 years ago with
some pretty bad spots so I cut the offending T-111 off and replaced
it. The rest looks fine. I wonder how many people replace all the
siding when only about 6" is actually bad?
That's not the question. I want to re-do the siding on at least one
side of my house to make it better sound and weather insulated.
The question is: What about weather resistant sheet insulation and
new T-111 siding and going over the existing siding (assuming I
weather sealed it of course) and putting on new trim?
Anyone ever done this? Why take the old siding/insulation out/ Why
not just add to what is there and just putting on another layer?
Jim
Follow up.
A neighbor of mine is some type of building contractor. I'll ask him.
He did a stucco covering on his siding. I'll ask how he prepared his
siding for the stucco?
Anyone done this sort of thing? Stucco for T-111? (or over T-111?)
1. Nail on metal lath (looks like honey comb)
2. Apply stucco
snip

Sounds easy :-)

I'd be worried about the stucco leatching mostiure into the T-111. Use some
sort of moisture barrier? Paint? Remove T-111 and replace with hardie board?
(That doesn't sound easy or cheap)

Jim- Hide quoted text -

people around here add a layer of hard foam insulation, then cover
with vinyl siding, but must re frame around windows, often they
replace these windows at the same time..

heat bills down appearance much improved

I just had argon gas windows installed.
http://www.dycwindows.com/windows/single_hung.asp
The difference is like night and day. If anyone thinks they need this
done, they do :-).

Replacing trim isn't a problem. The siding on my house is butt simple
and under a roof box eave so it only gets moisture towards the bottom.
It's a one story house. The siding stays dry but the foundation leaches
into the t-111. A good water barrier would have to be installed on the
bottom 8" or so. A piece of primed hardie plank would work.

Jim.