Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim T Jim T is offline

Default T-111 siding question

"Jim T" wrote in message
net...
I've got the typical tract house out here in Central TX. Built in the '80s
with T-111 siding. The bottom on T-111 tends to rot where it contacts the
bottom moisture. I bought the house 6 years ago with some pretty bad spots
so I cut the offending T-111 off and replaced it. The rest looks fine. I
wonder how many people replace all the siding when only about 6" is
actually bad?

That's not the question. I want to re-do the siding on at least one side
of my house to make it better sound and weather insulated.

The question is: What about weather resistant sheet insulation and new
T-111 siding and going over the existing siding (assuming I weather sealed
it of course) and putting on new trim?

Anyone ever done this? Why take the old siding/insulation out/ Why not
just add to what is there and just putting on another layer?

Jim

Follow up.

A neighbor of mine is some type of building contractor. I'll ask him. He did
a stucco covering on his siding. I'll ask how he prepared his siding for the
stucco?

Anyone done this sort of thing? Stucco for T-111? (or over T-111?)

Jim