Alexander Galkin

Default Siding question

My 50 year old house has wood shingles siding. The shingles 90% look OK, 10%
is either split, broken, popped up from the house or otherwise damaged. The
paint on shingles is in very bad shape is it peels everywhere. I am planning
an second story addition (currently second story does not extend as far as
first story) so I need to decide what to do with siding. I like wood
shingles very much. What would be the best approach in my case? Remove
existing shingles, and new addition is complete put new shingles on entire
house? Here the problem is that the house exterior is water repellant
sheetrock and shingles are nailed to studs with nails with threads. I
replaced windows this summer with new construction windows and had to
enlarge window opening and trim shingles. It was virtually impossible to
remove shingle boards without damaging either the board or exterior
sheetrock. So by removing existing shingles I am afraid of severely damaging
sheetrock. It has however positive moment. I would be able to put house wrap
as currently my house has none and rigid insulation on exterior walls. I am
also not sure if code allows putting wood shingles on non structural surface
as my water repellant sheetrock. If I decide to keep existing shingles on
existing house and put new shingles on new addition I have to somehow remove
peeling paint before repainting and find shingles on addition to match
existing shingles on rest of the house. What's the cost of wood shingles in
Central NJ?

m Ransley

Cedar shingles 50 yr old ? Replace them. I have Cedar shingles, took
them off , put up 2" R 14.4 foamboard , 5/8 Oxb, tyvek , and the old
cedar. Insulation is great but the cost was killer. Cedar only lasts so
long, if it is rotting and pealing it will just get worse.

Art

If it were me, I would replace the wood with cement siding. The new wood is
not likely to last as long as the old wood and you will be disappointed.

Alexander Galkin

Actually the wood shingles are in great shape, they are not rotten. some
just popped from the house exterior, very few are split. The paint is in bad
shape. Moreover the entire neighborhood built back in 1960 is sided with
wood shingles and except for paint siding looks good on all houses. The
problem is that it is virtually impossible to remove existing wood shingles
without damaging them or water repellant sheetrock exterior due to threaded
nails used. I had to remove some this summer when I enlarged openings for
new windows and half of shingles I removed broke. I also don't know where I
can find matching shingles for new addition to be built.