Posted to alt.home.repair

Default House Fire

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Fir...111461314.html

Please be careful, folks. I've not met these people. But, I'm an email
friend of Steve Spence. I've written to ask what the needs are. The
house was a total loss, and there was no insurance.

Be careful. I was reminded last Wednesday that a negligent truck
driver can total my Blazer, in an instant. A moment of inattention to
fireplace ashes, and the house is gone.

I've emailed Steve (who is out of town at the moment, and has
internet). What are the family's needs. Might be something we on AHR
can help with.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Fir...less-111461314
.html

Please be careful, folks. I've not met these people. But, I'm an email
friend of Steve Spence. I've written to ask what the needs are. The
house was a total loss, and there was no insurance.

Be careful. I was reminded last Wednesday that a negligent truck
driver can total my Blazer, in an instant. A moment of inattention to
fireplace ashes, and the house is gone.

I've emailed Steve (who is out of town at the moment, and has
internet). What are the family's needs. Might be something we on AHR
can help with.

What did you have in mind for us to help your pen pal? Should we all
pitch in and email him a whisk broom and dust pan so he can virtually
clean up the remains?

What does "there was no insurance" mean? Houses don't come with
insurance the way they come with plumbing and electricity. The homeowner
actually has to seek that out and pay for it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Fir...-3-Homeless-11
1461314.html

Please be careful, folks. I've not met these people. But, I'm an email
friend of Steve Spence. I've written to ask what the needs are. The
house was a total loss, and there was no insurance.

Be careful. I was reminded last Wednesday that a negligent truck
driver can total my Blazer, in an instant. A moment of inattention to
fireplace ashes, and the house is gone.

I've emailed Steve (who is out of town at the moment, and has
internet). What are the family's needs. Might be something we on AHR
can help with.

Why no insurance?

Not possible unless he owned the home outright.

Auto and home loans are on the lenders notice if insurance ends. In loan
papers signed by borrower it says lender will automatically take out policy
and tack cost on to principal.

Please ask Steve about this and post back. If Steve wants free $ he's gonna
have to give up 411.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Will do.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message

Why no insurance?

Not possible unless he owned the home outright.

Auto and home loans are on the lenders notice if insurance ends. In
loan
papers signed by borrower it says lender will automatically take out
policy
and tack cost on to principal.

Please ask Steve about this and post back. If Steve wants free $ he's
gonna
have to give up 411.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/08/2010 08:21 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Fir...111461314.html

Please be careful, folks. I've not met these people. But, I'm an email
friend of Steve Spence. I've written to ask what the needs are. The
house was a total loss, and there was no insurance.

Be careful. I was reminded last Wednesday that a negligent truck
driver can total my Blazer, in an instant. A moment of inattention to
fireplace ashes, and the house is gone.

I've emailed Steve (who is out of town at the moment, and has
internet). What are the family's needs. Might be something we on AHR
can help with.

We had a local burn his house down by putting kerosene soaked logs in
his wood stove.

--
LSmFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens............

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote the following:
In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

[...]

Most mortgage companies require insurance before they grant the
mortgage. If he didn't have insurance, he must have inherited the fully
paid off house, or he paid cash for it.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

[...]

It means that they lived off grid and low overhead. When you do that you
have to be extra careful you don't screw up and it sounds like they did.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Fir...-3-Homeless-11
1461314.html

Please be careful, folks. I've not met these people. But, I'm an email
friend of Steve Spence. I've written to ask what the needs are. The
house was a total loss, and there was no insurance.

Be careful. I was reminded last Wednesday that a negligent truck
driver can total my Blazer, in an instant. A moment of inattention to
fireplace ashes, and the house is gone.

I've emailed Steve (who is out of town at the moment, and has
internet). What are the family's needs. Might be something we on AHR
can help with.

Why no insurance?

Not possible unless he owned the home outright.

Inherited off grid old family farm house.

http://www.greentrust.org if I recall his site.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 8:21*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
* * *http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Fir...Homeless-11146...

The
house was a total loss, and there was no insurance.

Might be something we on AHR
can help with.

My pleasu Insure your house.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
* * *http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Fir...Homeless-11146...

Please be careful, folks. I've not met these people. But, I'm an email
friend of Steve Spence. I've written to ask what the needs are. The
house was a total loss, and there was no insurance.

Be careful. I was reminded last Wednesday that a negligent truck
driver can total my Blazer, in an instant. A moment of inattention to
fireplace ashes, and the house is gone.

I've emailed Steve (who is out of town at the moment, and has
internet). What are the family's needs. Might be something we on AHR
can help with.

--
Christopher A. Young

Probably a scam of some sort. Scams are heavy this time of year. Very
vague report. Anyway, if they couldn't afford insurance, they couldn't
afford the house.

I'll bet he has a P.O. box to send money to.

Hank ~~~~~ takes responsibility for own stupid acts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 07:26:32 -0800 (PST), Hank
wrote Re House Fi

Anyway, if they couldn't afford insurance, they couldn't
afford the house.

YOu got dat right
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 09:29:13 -0500, willshak
wrote:

Most mortgage companies require insurance before they grant the
mortgage. If he didn't have insurance, he must have inherited the fully
paid off house, or he paid cash for it.

Once you're off escrow (it was 20% equity in my case) RE taxes and
home insurance are handled by the borrower.
There might be gaps in coverage if both the borrower and lender don't
perform due diligence.
With the scandal of mortgages being sold and bundled, the paperwork
can get all screwed up.
I had a hassle when BOA bought my mortgage and tried to charge me an
outrageous premium for insurance I already had.
They hadn't done the proper paperwork.
Not saying that has anything to do with this guy being uninsured.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 6:14*am, LSMFT wrote:
On 12/08/2010 08:21 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

* * *http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Fir...Homeless-11146...

Please be careful, folks. I've not met these people. But, I'm an email
friend of Steve Spence. I've written to ask what the needs are. The
house was a total loss, and there was no insurance.

Be careful. I was reminded last Wednesday that a negligent truck
driver can total my Blazer, in an instant. A moment of inattention to
fireplace ashes, and the house is gone.

I've emailed Steve (who is out of town at the moment, and has
internet). What are the family's needs. Might be something we on AHR
can help with.

We had a local burn his house down by putting kerosene soaked logs in
his wood stove.

--
LSmFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens............

And Spokane, Wa had a new version of the 'set your ashes on the deck'
fire. The guy propped his bucket of ashes against his wood pile.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Not enough information to assume that. There are a lot of houses out
there that aren't worth insuring but are still habitable.

Fires caused by careless disposal of ashes are a common source of
house fires. Mine go from the stove (ash pan) right out the door and
spread on the lawn.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2010 8:21 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Fir...111461314.html

Please be careful, folks. I've not met these people. But, I'm an email
friend of Steve Spence. I've written to ask what the needs are. The
house was a total loss, and there was no insurance.

Be careful. I was reminded last Wednesday that a negligent truck
driver can total my Blazer, in an instant. A moment of inattention to
fireplace ashes, and the house is gone.

I've emailed Steve (who is out of town at the moment, and has
internet). What are the family's needs. Might be something we on AHR
can help with.

All right. Let's take that as a challenge.

Burned down farm house. Foundation intact? Basement? Anything
salvageable? What's the going price on charcoal there?

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Most mortgage companies require insurance before they grant the
mortgage. If he didn't have insurance, he must have inherited the fully
paid off house, or he paid cash for it.

Once you're off escrow (it was 20% equity in my case) RE taxes and
home insurance are handled by the borrower.
There might be gaps in coverage if both the borrower and lender don't
perform due diligence.
With the scandal of mortgages being sold and bundled, the paperwork
can get all screwed up.
I had a hassle when BOA bought my mortgage and tried to charge me an
outrageous premium for insurance I already had.
They hadn't done the proper paperwork.
Not saying that has anything to do with this guy being uninsured.

--Vic

They didn't have a mortgage at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2010 8:50 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
"Stormin wrote:

[...]

Maybe we should all pay for it, like we do anyway whenever there is a
bad flood in a floodplain. Cheap SOB's don't get insurance and live in
a floodplain. Why do our taxes pay them to rebuild?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in
ter.com:

Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Fir...use-3-Homeless
[...]

Extra careful? Extra? No. Careful? No. No more than you have to be extra
and careful to take a wiz before you have an accident or add gas to your
tank before you run out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote in
:

On Dec 8, 7:26*am, Hank wrote:
On Dec 8, 8:21*am, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
* * *http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Fir...-House-3-Homel

ess-11146...

[...]

Then there is no loss. Structure not worth say avg $1k/yr cost of
insurance?

Fires caused by careless disposal of ashes are a common source of
house fires. Mine go from the stove (ash pan) right out the door and
spread on the lawn.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in
ter.com:

Red Green wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Fir...use-3-Homeless
-11 1461314.html

Please be careful, folks. I've not met these people. But, I'm an
email friend of Steve Spence. I've written to ask what the needs
are. The house was a total loss, and there was no insurance.

Be careful. I was reminded last Wednesday that a negligent truck
driver can total my Blazer, in an instant. A moment of inattention
to fireplace ashes, and the house is gone.

I've emailed Steve (who is out of town at the moment, and has
internet). What are the family's needs. Might be something we on
AHR can help with.

Why no insurance?

Not possible unless he owned the home outright.

Inherited off grid old family farm house.

http://www.greentrust.org if I recall his site.

I couldn't get to the site...but I do have a Hosts file that blocks 10's of
thousands of sites.

I understand there are many, through no fault of their own, dirt poor that
live in shacks in this country. Things like food, heat and paying taxes to
keep the shack suck up any income they have.

I don't know if this is the case or it's just plain stupidity...like with
the ashes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin wrote:

[...]

A few years back there was a series of floods and fires down in Malibu
and other wealthy L.A. burbs. Multi-millionaires all over TV, crying
about how the mansion they built 10' from the edge of the ocean bluff
was lost to a storm, or the mansion in the canyon destroyed by fire. Too
bad they weren't asleep in their beds when it happened, I say.

The city of Hudson, Wisconsin (9 miles from my own hometown) was built
on the beaches of the St. Croix river, and it used to be underwater
every 3-5 years until the stupid white people moved to higher ground.
The local indians told them not to build that close to the river, but
what does a damn indian know?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote in
news

"Stormin wrote:

[...]

They know the best place to watch a flood from is THEIR house on the
hill.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Una Una is offline

Red Green wrote:
Extra careful? Extra? No. Careful? No.

Living off the grid means living where there are no fire hydrants,
and a long way from the nearest fire station, and possibly on a low
flow well or other system with very limited water supply. Living
off the grid, you do indeed need to be extra careful about fires.

Una

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in
ter.com:

Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

[...]

Yes, extra careful when you do not have backup i.e. insurance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in
ter.com:

Red Green wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

[...]

In this case they were not dirt poor, however they chose to live off
grid in their inherited family farm house and live more self reliantly.
In this case it seems they are going to have to rely on themselves to
rebuild as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

Harry K wrote in
:

wrote:
[...]

Far more complex than that and likely not a scam. Steve Spence is/was
the guy behind greentrust.org, a site covering off-grid living and
renewable energy topics. It sounds like someone got careless and now
they are in deep doo doo without backup (insurance).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in
ter.com:

Red Green wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in
ter.com:

Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Fir...-House-3-Homel
ess -111461314 .html

[...]

I guess I don't really know what living off the grid means. I'm getting
the feeling it means living risky and stupid on purpose. Is "We don't buy
insurance from The Man." part of the off grid pkg?

There are home accidents that happen that have nothing to do with the
owner being careful - electrical, other hidden systems, acts of God and
of course, plain old **** happens.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:
http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Fir...111461314.html

house was a total loss, and there was no insurance.

... What are the family's needs. Might be something we on AHR
can help with.

Don't think can help w/ stupid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like that one got away from him.

The Spence family fire was "improperly disposed ashes". And no
insurance on the house. I've emailed their father who posted the link
on father's blog. No reply, yet. Obviously, they ought have been more
careful with the ashes. Shoulda had a smoke detector, fire
extinguisher, insurance policy, etc, etc. Hindight is so clear.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"LSMFT" wrote in message

We had a local burn his house down by putting kerosene soaked logs in
his wood stove.

--
LSmFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens............

Posted to alt.home.repair

That house was not connected to the power grid. They had a generator,
burned vegetable oil in the summer for a diesel generator. They
aparently screwed up with the hot ash disposal. I havn't heard back
from their Dad.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

What does "there was no insurance" mean? Houses don't come with
insurance the way they come with plumbing and electricity. The
homeowner
actually has to seek that out and pay for it.

It means that they lived off grid and low overhead. When you do that
you
have to be extra careful you don't screw up and it sounds like they
did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You remember correctly. Steve (author of the web page) and his wife
are in South Carolia, Steve accepted a job there. The house (was)
occupied by Steve Jr.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

Why no insurance?

Not possible unless he owned the home outright.

Inherited off grid old family farm house.

http://www.greentrust.org if I recall his site.

Posted to alt.home.repair

How much do we remit, for the advice?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:
http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Fir...Homeless-11146...

The
house was a total loss, and there was no insurance.

Might be something we on AHR
can help with.

My pleasu Insure your house.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ever had your lawn on fire? Never know.... you could be next.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Harry K"
wrote in message

Fires caused by careless disposal of ashes are a common source of
house fires. Mine go from the stove (ash pan) right out the door and
spread on the lawn.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

So we can do it all again next year?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Miklos" wrote in message

Maybe we should all pay for it, like we do anyway whenever there is a
bad flood in a floodplain. Cheap SOB's don't get insurance and live
in
a floodplain. Why do our taxes pay them to rebuild?

Posted to alt.home.repair

My sense is this is for real. And, that the combination of bad
decisions led to disaster. The question is whether we pitch in and
lighten their load. Or if we sit back and say "tut, tut, how
foolish".

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

Far more complex than that and likely not a scam. Steve Spence is/was
the guy behind greentrust.org, a site covering off-grid living and
renewable energy topics. It sounds like someone got careless and now
they are in deep doo doo without backup (insurance).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Much the same, here. Slab and not much else.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message

The local volunteer fire departments in the area I lived in Southern
Louisiana always bragged that, "We always get there in time to save
the
foundation and fireplace."

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Or, near a rod and gun club.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message

And why is it that people buy a house by an airport, then bitch about
the
noise? Helloooooooooooooooo.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?