Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Gas grill on wood deck, house on fire.

Imitation Memorial Day, 3 townhouses sustained damage, one it seems
only the roof, one the second floor and roof, and the first one, all
floors damaged.

Gas grill on wood deck. A small fire under the grill, the wood deck
burning. Ran in for water, by the time he got back, whole side of
house in flames.

They didn't say if it was propane or natural gas, but looking at the
medium sized townhouses on tv, I'm pretty sure it was the portable
grill with the 10? pound tank.
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"mm" wrote in message
Imitation Memorial Day, 3 townhouses sustained damage, one it seems
only the roof, one the second floor and roof, and the first one, all
floors damaged.

Gas grill on wood deck. A small fire under the grill, the wood deck
burning. Ran in for water, by the time he got back, whole side of
house in flames.

They didn't say if it was propane or natural gas, but looking at the
medium sized townhouses on tv, I'm pretty sure it was the portable
grill with the 10? pound tank.

Here's a pic of our house and sad beagle in 1999 after a our gas grill
caught fire on our deck.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z...use-before.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 May 2007 21:32:54 GMT, "tom" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
Imitation Memorial Day, 3 townhouses sustained damage, one it seems
only the roof, one the second floor and roof, and the first one, all
floors damaged.

Gas grill on wood deck. A small fire under the grill, the wood deck
burning. Ran in for water, by the time he got back, whole side of
house in flames.

They didn't say if it was propane or natural gas, but looking at the
medium sized townhouses on tv, I'm pretty sure it was the portable
grill with the 10? pound tank.

Here's a pic of our house and sad beagle in 1999 after a our gas grill
caught fire on our deck.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z...use-before.jpg

The beagle has it going on - all up in the shade like that! Or,
marking the spot for the grill. :-/

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Postal68 wrote:
Aren't there flame retardant mats for decks and patios sold to put
underneath grills?

Yep:

http://grillpad.com

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 28 May 2007 20:27:39 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Postal68 wrote:
Aren't there flame retardant mats for decks and patios sold to put
underneath grills?

Yep:

http://grillpad.com

It's probably a fine thing, if I had my grill over wood, but this part
bothers me.

"Is The “Original” Grill Pad fireproof?
Nothing is fireproof, and The “Original” Grill Pad is no exception.
The “Original” Grill Pad is recommended for outdoor use only and is
naturally heat and weather resistant. You should allow a reasonable
clearance between the heating appliance and the Grill Pad on your deck
or patio surface."

Most rocks are fireproof, short of throwing them in a volcano. Even
then they only melt. They don't catch on fire.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Postal68 wrote:
Aren't there flame retardant mats for decks and patios sold to put
underneath grills?

Yep:

I thought I was done! And this paragraph
"After it rains, I’ve noticed there is a dark stain under my grill pad
on the deck. What causes this?
The “Original” Grill Pad is porous. It allows for water penetration
through the Grill Pad but not grease. The watermark you see should dry
within days if you either remove the Grill Pad or leave the Grill Pad
in place. Do not attempt to pressure wash or apply cleansers to this
watermark. It will dry to its original surface appearance."

And I've never heard of a chiminea, but they say it twice, so it's
probably not a typo:
Is 24” from the deck surface to the bottom of my new chiminea enough
room to protect my deck?
We recommend this height from any sustained heat source. Be sure to
use the manufacturers recommended safety measures when installing a
chiminea, gas or charcoal grill, fire-pit or fryer!

http://grillpad.com/faq_page.html

http://grillpad.com

It's probably a fine thing, if I had my grill over wood, but this part
bothers me.

"Is The “Original” Grill Pad fireproof?
Nothing is fireproof, and The “Original” Grill Pad is no exception.
The “Original” Grill Pad is recommended for outdoor use only and is
naturally heat and weather resistant. You should allow a reasonable
clearance between the heating appliance and the Grill Pad on your deck
or patio surface."

Most rocks are fireproof, short of throwing them in a volcano. Even
then they only melt. They don't catch on fire.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
It's probably a fine thing, if I had my grill over wood, but this part
bothers me.

"Is The "Original" Grill Pad fireproof?
Nothing is fireproof, and The "Original" Grill Pad is no exception.
The "Original" Grill Pad is recommended for outdoor use only and is
naturally heat and weather resistant. You should allow a reasonable
clearance between the heating appliance and the Grill Pad on your deck
or patio surface."

Most rocks are fireproof, short of throwing them in a volcano. Even
then they only melt. They don't catch on fire.

Jeff

Sounds like lawyer talk. They say it is spark resistant. I imagine if you
dump 3 gallons of oil from the turnkey fryer, you will still have a fire.
They tout it as a way to prevent damage to the deck, not as a fire resistant
fool proof item so you can't sue them so easily when the house burns down
from the four spare propane tanks exploding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 5:04 pm, mm wrote:
Gas grill on wood deck. A small fire under the grill, the wood deck
burning. Ran in for water, by the time he got back, whole side of
house in flames.

If for some reason the moron didn't have a fire extinguisher handy:
1. Move the grill and shut it off.
2. Stomp out the small fire with your feet before it becomes a big
fire.
3. THEN go for water.

There is nothing wrong with using a gas grill on a wood deck, if
you're not a total moron that stands there watching the flames until
the entire deck is totally engulfed before you decide maybe you should
go for water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Are you a qualified fireman to say the following : or just a totally
ignorant ass - mother?

Gas grill on wood deck. A small fire under the grill, the wood deck
burning. Ran in for water, by the time he got back, whole side of
house in flames.

If for some reason the moron didn't have a fire extinguisher handy:
1. Move the grill and shut it off.

so it can blow up in your face - which is probalby ugly anyway

2. Stomp out the small fire with your feet before it becomes a big
fire.

so you can have life long scaring
3. THEN go for water.

if itas a gas fire this won't help except to spread the flame ...

There is nothing wrong with using a gas grill on a wood deck, if
you're not a total moron that stands there watching the flames until
the entire deck is totally engulfed before you decide maybe you should
go for water.

I mean try to use your brain before you you tell people some dribble
you fart out ------they can sue you for being a total loser later