Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT The Post Office should cut mail days in half and the price of stamps

I get all my bills paperless. It would prefer getting my spam flyers
once a week instead of everyday.

I do acknowledge there are still some valid reasons to use the US
Mail, but half of the mail days seems more than enough to deliver
valid mail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
I get all my bills paperless. It would prefer getting my spam flyers
once a week instead of everyday.

I do acknowledge there are still some valid reasons to use the US
Mail, but half of the mail days seems more than enough to deliver
valid mail.

They fought to keep delivering on Saturdays. I doubt you'll get them to cut
the week in half.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 6, 8:13*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
I get all my bills paperless. *It would prefer getting my spam flyers
once a week instead of everyday.

I do acknowledge there are still some valid reasons to use the US
Mail, but half of the mail days seems more than enough to deliver
valid mail.

Yeah, the unemployment payments to all the laid off workers will
probably be cheaper than the salaries. Of course, since the
unemployment funds don't come from the sale of the stamps, be prepared
to pay your part.

Just don't complain when the employment rate goes up and the economic
recovery slows even further as all of the laid workers have less to
spend.

With the good comes the bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:

I get all my bills paperless. It would prefer getting my spam flyers
once a week instead of everyday.

I do acknowledge there are still some valid reasons to use the US
Mail, but half of the mail days seems more than enough to deliver
valid mail.

I think they should raise the price of stamps to $1. This bull**** about
raising it every six months is silly. I buy a booklet of 20 stamps and
it lasts me a year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote

I think they should raise the price of stamps to $1. This bull**** about
raising it every six months is silly. I buy a booklet of 20 stamps and
it lasts me a year.

People bitch about the cost of postage, but just how far would you go to
deliver something for 44¢ ? Overall, it is fast, efficient, and reasonably
priced. Now if they cold just infuse some personality into the postal
workers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 6:24*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote

I think they should raise the price of stamps to $1. This bull**** about
raising it every six months is silly. I buy a booklet of 20 stamps and
it lasts me a year.

People bitch about the cost of postage, but just how far would you go to
deliver something for 44 ? *Overall, it is fast, efficient, and reasonably
priced. *Now if they cold just infuse some personality into the postal
workers.

The post office repeatedly requested dropping Saturdays. Congress has
to make a law change in order for them to drop a day.

The first class domestic rates are one of the world's cheapest.

They have a fairly typical attrition rate and could adjust employee
size with attrition and early retirement incentives if they were
allowed to drop Saturday. The biggest immediate savings would be in
fuel costs..

The rural populations are one of the main issues in radically reducing
the delivery days. Rural areas do not have high speed internet
either. There are still significant areas on the east coast, which is
the densest population region of the US, that do not have any high
speed internet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

I think they should raise the price of stamps to $1. This bull****
about raising it every six months is silly. I buy a booklet of 20
stamps and it lasts me a year.

And even then, stamps could cost you considerably less:

"Counterfeit stamps have been identified as a steady, recurring risk for the
U.S. Postal Service, which reported a loss of $8.5 billion in the last
fiscal year..."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/12/06...est=latestnews

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/6/2010 8:13 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I get all my bills paperless. It would prefer getting my spam flyers
once a week instead of everyday.

I do acknowledge there are still some valid reasons to use the US
Mail, but half of the mail days seems more than enough to deliver
valid mail.

Those of us who take for granted having internet-connected computers at
home have to remember that there are tens of millions in this country
who, whether too poor, too mentally challenged (either developmentally
or aged) or just plain uninterested, do NOT have internet-connected
computers at home. For them, the U.S. mail is a necessity, not merely a
source of spam flyers. Besides, in most countries with far more modest
economies (and egos) than ours, there is typically daily mail service at
an affordable price.

Have we become too advanced and advantaged to renounce our mail service
along with our once admired public education and health care systems?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cold just infuse". That's a typo that should go down in history as
one of the greats.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

People bitch about the cost of postage, but just how far would you go
deliver something for 44¢ ? Overall, it is fast, efficient, and
reasonably
priced. Now if they cold just infuse some personality into the postal
workers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2010 6:24 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote

I think they should raise the price of stamps to $1. This bull**** about
raising it every six months is silly. I buy a booklet of 20 stamps and
it lasts me a year.

People bitch about the cost of postage, but just how far would you go to
deliver something for 44¢ ? Overall, it is fast, efficient, and
reasonably priced. Now if they cold just infuse some personality into
the postal workers.

When stamp price rise I have often told the postal employee that I
wouldn't run this envelope across town, much less across the country for
..... whatever cents it costs.

I do my part by returning junk mail with the prepaid envelope. Be sure
to stuff it full because if it's a little too fat it costs the junk mail
sender/recipient a lot more to have it delivered to them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Peter wrote:

[snip]

Those of us who take for granted having internet-connected computers at
home have to remember that there are tens of millions in this country
who, whether too poor, too mentally challenged (either developmentally
or aged) or just plain uninterested, do NOT have internet-connected
computers at home.

or don't have decent internet service available. I know someone like that.

For them, the U.S. mail is a necessity, not merely a
source of spam flyers. Besides, in most countries with far more modest
economies (and egos) than ours, there is typically daily mail service at
an affordable price.

Have we become too advanced and advantaged to renounce our mail service
along with our once admired public education and health care systems?

--
18 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from
religious conviction." -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662), Pense'es, #894.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Have we become too advanced and advantaged to renounce our mail service
along with our once admired public education and health care systems?

Huh? The USPS is the fastest and cheapest way to mail anything. I use it
exclusively for all my business shipping, and I will not use suppliers who
insist on shipping with UPS or FedEx.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Miklos wrote:
On 12/7/2010 6:24 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote

I think they should raise the price of stamps to $1. This bull****
about raising it every six months is silly. I buy a booklet of 20
stamps and it lasts me a year.

People bitch about the cost of postage, but just how far would you
go to deliver something for 44¢ ? Overall, it is fast, efficient, and
reasonably priced. Now if they cold just infuse some personality into
the postal workers.

When stamp price rise I have often told the postal employee that I
wouldn't run this envelope across town, much less across the country
for .... whatever cents it costs.

I do my part by returning junk mail with the prepaid envelope. Be
sure to stuff it full because if it's a little too fat it costs the
junk mail sender/recipient a lot more to have it delivered to them.

Without "junk" mail, postal rates would have to be significantly higher.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Peter wrote:
Those of us who take for granted having internet-connected computers
at home have to remember that there are tens of millions in this
country who, whether too poor, too mentally challenged (either
developmentally or aged) or just plain uninterested, do NOT have
internet-connected computers at home. For them, the U.S. mail is a
necessity, not merely a source of spam flyers. Besides, in most
countries with far more modest economies (and egos) than ours, there
is typically daily mail service at an affordable price.

In the early 1900's, Londoners got as many as FOUR mail deliveries per day.

One could mail out invitations for afternoon tea and collect the RSVPs in
time to mail the shopping list to the grocer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/07/10 03:19 pm, Bob F wrote:

I think they should raise the price of stamps to $1. This bull****
about raising it every six months is silly. I buy a booklet of 20
stamps and it lasts me a year.

People bitch about the cost of postage, but just how far would you
go to deliver something for 44¢ ? Overall, it is fast, efficient, and
reasonably priced. Now if they cold just infuse some personality into
the postal workers.

When stamp price rise I have often told the postal employee that I
wouldn't run this envelope across town, much less across the country
for .... whatever cents it costs.

I do my part by returning junk mail with the prepaid envelope. Be
sure to stuff it full because if it's a little too fat it costs the
junk mail sender/recipient a lot more to have it delivered to them.

Without "junk" mail, postal rates would have to be significantly higher.

But a lot of the first-class mail (bills and checks) that used to
subsidize the "junk" mail and the outrageously cheap magazine mailing
rate has now gone away, replaced by online billing and bill-paying.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Metspitzer wrote:
I get all my bills paperless. It would prefer getting my spam flyers
once a week instead of everyday.

I do acknowledge there are still some valid reasons to use the US
Mail, but half of the mail days seems more than enough to deliver
valid mail.

Speak for yourself...as others have noted, many areas of the country
don't have the luxury afforded to areas with higher population densities
(fortunately, we lack some of the associated problems, too,
unfortunately not all of them).

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 7, 5:24*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

snip

*Now if they cold just infuse some personality into the postal
workers.

If you lived in a small town that would not be the case. Locally, our
USPS folks could be the models for friendly and efficient customer
service. Community character seems to modify the behavior of service
workers a lot. Just the way it is, always will be, likely.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I agree I had 2 boxes shipped on the same day from the same shipper.
(California to Florida) The USPS priority Mail box got here 5 days
faster than Fed Ex ground and the Fed Ex box cost more to ship.

I seem to get about the same results from all the services. I live in North
Carolina and I think Texas is about as far as I can think of right now that
I have gotten anything from lately. If I order on Monday I almost always
get it by Thursday or Friday. I did get a package about 10 years ago from
California in 3 days by FedEx.

The worst service I have gotten lately was the US Mail. Friend in a town
less than an hour a way by car sent me a package that contained an item
about the size of a printer ink cartrage. It took almost two weeks from
the postmark.
All othere things seem to come in a few days from the shipping date.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

People bitch about the cost of postage, but just how far would you go to
deliver something for 44¢ ? Overall, it is fast, efficient, and
reasonably priced. Now if they cold just infuse some personality into the
postal workers.

The guy who delivers our mail is a prince, a very pleasant fellow, and I
wish UPS took care of our packages the way he does. Some of the ones who
work the counter at the local office are another story, but we couldn't ask
for more from our delivery guy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
On Dec 7, 5:24 am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

snip

Now if they cold just infuse some personality into the postal
workers.

If you lived in a small town that would not be the case. Locally, our
USPS folks could be the models for friendly and efficient customer
service. Community character seems to modify the behavior of service
workers a lot. Just the way it is, always will be, likely.

Joe

We are a smallish town of 10,000. The PO employees took charm lessons at
the Motor Vehicles Dept. I've had the same mail carrier going on 20 years
now and he's never spoken and barely gives a nod if you say "hello". Don't
even bother giving a wave as he passes.

I sometimes go to a small PO near work and the two people there are
friendly. The PO on the others side of town has the grumps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote

The worst service I have gotten lately was the US Mail. Friend in a town
less than an hour a way by car sent me a package that contained an item
about the size of a printer ink cartrage. It took almost two weeks from
the postmark.
All othere things seem to come in a few days from the shipping date.

I sent a package about that size a few months back. Put it in my mailbox
here in rural CT and the carrier picked it up on Saturday about 3PM. I was
shocked to get an email from the recipient on Monday in Los Angeles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2010 5:32 PM, Joe wrote:
On Dec 7, 5:24 am, "Ed wrote:

snip

Now if they cold just infuse some personality into the postal
workers.

If you lived in a small town that would not be the case. Locally, our
USPS folks could be the models for friendly and efficient customer
service. Community character seems to modify the behavior of service
workers a lot. Just the way it is, always will be, likely.

Joe

You still have a postoffice? They closed most of the small ones around
here and then with total bureaucratic efficiency they only staff one of
the three service counters at the main postoffice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2010 12:35 AM, RobertPatrick wrote:
"Ed wrote in
:

"Smitty wrote

I think they should raise the price of stamps to $1. This bull****
about raising it every six months is silly. I buy a booklet of 20
stamps and it lasts me a year.

People bitch about the cost of postage, but just how far would you go
to deliver something for 44¢ ? Overall, it is fast, efficient, and
reasonably priced. Now if they cold just infuse some personality into
the postal workers.

yeah, and close the mailbox lid cuz with all the rain/snow, my mail is a
mess. After the other guy retired we now have lazy delivery people.

Its an efficiency thing. We have a large mailbox. The carriers roll up
the mail and push it in and leave the lid open. Multiple carriers claim
thats what they are specifically required to do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2010 3:00 PM, h wrote:

Have we become too advanced and advantaged to renounce our mail service
along with our once admired public education and health care systems?

Huh? The USPS is the fastest and cheapest way to mail anything. I use it
exclusively for all my business shipping, and I will not use suppliers who
insist on shipping with UPS or FedEx.

So you don't care when you get stuff and you don't mind having a package
tracking system that shows "information received from sender" until two
days after you receive the package?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 10:10*am, Tony Miklos wrote:
[...]

They don't weigh prepaid return envelopes. All they do is count them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
I get all my bills paperless. It would prefer getting my spam flyers
once a week instead of everyday.

I do acknowledge there are still some valid reasons to use the US
Mail, but half of the mail days seems more than enough to deliver
valid mail.

They still deliver packages.

--
LSMFT

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
On Dec 7, 5:24 am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

snip

Now if they cold just infuse some personality into the postal
workers.

If you lived in a small town that would not be the case. Locally, our
USPS folks could be the models for friendly and efficient customer
service. Community character seems to modify the behavior of service
workers a lot. Just the way it is, always will be, likely.

Joe

We are a smallish town of 10,000. The PO employees took charm lessons at
the Motor Vehicles Dept. I've had the same mail carrier going on 20
years now and he's never spoken and barely gives a nod if you say
"hello". Don't even bother giving a wave as he passes.

I sometimes go to a small PO near work and the two people there are
friendly. The PO on the others side of town has the grumps.

He was hired from the general society. It's reflective of the country.

--
LSMFT

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2010 10:32 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Ralph Mowery" wrote

The worst service I have gotten lately was the US Mail. Friend in a
town less than an hour a way by car sent me a package that contained
an item about the size of a printer ink cartrage. It took almost two
weeks from the postmark.
All othere things seem to come in a few days from the shipping date.

I sent a package about that size a few months back. Put it in my mailbox
here in rural CT and the carrier picked it up on Saturday about 3PM. I
was shocked to get an email from the recipient on Monday in Los Angeles.

USPS has agreements with the other carriers for backend package stuff.
What is still really broken is the stuff they handle themselves. Send a
package to an adjoining state and it will likely take a week.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , LSMFT
wrote:

Maybe they should work like the garbage men. Smash the container and
throw the lid into the woods.

I don't care who you are, that right there is funny.

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

USPS has agreements with the other carriers for backend package stuff.
What is still really broken is the stuff they handle themselves. Send
a package to an adjoining state and it will likely take a week.

Popular Mechanics recently did a series of tests on which of the three major
carriers treated your packages the best.

View the results he
http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...-your-packages

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2010 3:19 PM, Bob F wrote:
Tony Miklos wrote:
[...]

Well I doubt if my little pranks will stop them from using the USPO,
just makes them pay a little more for the returned mail, even if it's
empty. Gotta do something when I'm bored.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2010 7:43 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Dec 7, 10:10 am, Tony wrote:
[...]

If they don't fit through a skinny little slot, the rate is much higher.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2010 5:34 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
wrote in message
I agree I had 2 boxes shipped on the same day from the same shipper.
(California to Florida) The USPS priority Mail box got here 5 days
faster than Fed Ex ground and the Fed Ex box cost more to ship.

I seem to get about the same results from all the services. I live in North
Carolina and I think Texas is about as far as I can think of right now that
I have gotten anything from lately. If I order on Monday I almost always
get it by Thursday or Friday. I did get a package about 10 years ago from
California in 3 days by FedEx.

The worst service I have gotten lately was the US Mail. Friend in a town
less than an hour a way by car sent me a package that contained an item
about the size of a printer ink cartrage. It took almost two weeks from
the postmark.
All othere things seem to come in a few days from the shipping date.

Sometimes an early morning order from Texas will make it to me in
eastern TN in one day with priority mail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2010 8:54 AM, George wrote:
On 12/7/2010 10:32 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Ralph Mowery" wrote

The worst service I have gotten lately was the US Mail. Friend in a
town less than an hour a way by car sent me a package that contained
an item about the size of a printer ink cartrage. It took almost two
weeks from the postmark.
All othere things seem to come in a few days from the shipping date.

I sent a package about that size a few months back. Put it in my mailbox
here in rural CT and the carrier picked it up on Saturday about 3PM. I
was shocked to get an email from the recipient on Monday in Los Angeles.

USPS has agreements with the other carriers for backend package stuff.
What is still really broken is the stuff they handle themselves. Send a
package to an adjoining state and it will likely take a week.

I recall for some time the USPS was working with FedEx. I don't think
they do anymore? There were FedEx boxes outside the PO. I asked inside
and they said they were trying a system where a lot of their air mail
flew in FedEx places. Not sure how true that is/was, but without a
doubt they did have FedEx boxes outside the P.O.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2010 11:35 AM, HeyBub wrote:
George wrote:

USPS has agreements with the other carriers for backend package stuff.
What is still really broken is the stuff they handle themselves. Send
a package to an adjoining state and it will likely take a week.

Popular Mechanics recently did a series of tests on which of the three major
carriers treated your packages the best.

View the results he
http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...-your-packages

I've seen way too many improperly packaged items get damaged in transit.
I've been lucky enough to have a 100% good rate with the USPS and UPS.
I often shipped circuit boards and when I heard someone bitch about
the post office, I'd throw my box with a circuit board in about 10 feet
high and let it land on concrete. If they looked scared I'd do it a
couple more times. I never had a failure. I believe over 99% of
damaged packages are due to improper packaging.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Postal Service has proposed several services that use email in one
form or another, going back to the late 80s. Also in the late 80s/early
90s, they proposed several fax-based services. In all cases, after lobbying
by various interests, the Postal Regulatory Commission (formerly the
Postal Rate Commission), the Postal Board of Governors, or Congress
has prevented them from implementing any of those proposals.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 11:58:25 -0500, Tony Miklos wrote:

[...]

They still do. I get FedEx packages delivered by my postal carrier reasonably
often. It's likely a regional thing.

There were FedEx boxes outside the PO. I asked inside
and they said they were trying a system where a lot of their air mail
flew in FedEx places. Not sure how true that is/was, but without a
doubt they did have FedEx boxes outside the P.O.

interesting exchange at the post office Gunner Asch[_6_] Metalworking 1 August 11th 10 01:12 AM
Kellys Post Office Street Guide ??? Andrew Mawson UK diy 6 June 29th 07 10:49 AM
Post office rates Boothbay Home Repair 7 October 19th 05 11:52 PM
OT charged a higher price than confirmed by e-mail [email protected] UK diy 6 May 9th 05 10:19 PM